Bicycle Helmet Physics - Momentum Calculations

In summary, the time afforded to decelerate by a helmet is about 1/3 of the thickness of the helmet foam.
yowatup
edit

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is force x distance, so that force acting over the distance of the thickness of the helmet isn't very much. Remember also that KE is velocity^2 so 30->40km/h is almost a doubling of en ergy.

Right, the wikipedia statement regards energy.

That aside, my calculations of force are sound? That with a helmet, hitting the the ground (or another object) at 20km/h, is roughly equivalent to hitting the ground at 2.8km/h without a helmet?

Seems reasonable, it's hard to know the time an the force isn't necessarily linear as the helmet distorts - but I wear one!

I'm glad that the calculations appear to be in order, despite the baffling conclusion that 20km/h(w helmet)=2.8km/h(w.o helmet).

You're right about the force not being necessarily linear, but I think I just need something simple to illustrate the effectiveness of helmets.

While I can reliably source the time figure of 6ms afforded by helmets, I think the arbitrary time value I added of 1ms probably skews the data quite a bit. I just don't know how else the comparative analysis would work. I can't calculate the acceleration if I just use the 6ms figure (since t=0 w/o helmet then). The obvious solution is to increase the time that the skull affords, but I really am not sure what number to decide on.

Okay, so I did some research and have found that the human skull is roughly 1/4" = 6.35mm thick. Helmet foam on the other hand is 20mm. So I think I can reasonably conclude that the time allowance afforded by the skull is 1/3 of the helmet foam. That is, if it's distance that is the operative variable here that extends time of deceleration; since the human skull is surely stronger, that just means it absorbs more force but doesn't really affect the time.

Related to Bicycle Helmet Physics - Momentum Calculations

1. What is the purpose of a bicycle helmet?

A bicycle helmet is designed to protect the head of a cyclist in case of a fall or collision. It helps to absorb the impact and reduce the risk of serious head injuries.

2. How does a bicycle helmet protect against head injuries?

A bicycle helmet works by dissipating the force of impact over a larger area, reducing the amount of force that reaches the cyclist's head. The foam material inside the helmet compresses upon impact, absorbing the energy and protecting the head.

3. How is momentum calculated in relation to bicycle helmet physics?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity. In the case of a cyclist wearing a helmet, the momentum is calculated based on the combined mass of the cyclist and the helmet, as well as their velocity.

4. Do all bicycle helmets have the same level of protection?

No, not all bicycle helmets have the same level of protection. Different helmets may have different designs and materials, resulting in varying levels of protection. It is important to choose a helmet that meets safety standards and fits properly.

5. Can wearing a helmet affect a cyclist's movement and balance?

Yes, wearing a helmet can affect a cyclist's movement and balance to some degree. However, the benefits of wearing a helmet for protection far outweigh any minor impact on movement or balance. It is important to choose a well-fitted helmet to minimize any potential impact on movement and balance.