Question about a bicycle wheel going uphill

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in force and distance when pedaling a bicycle with larger or smaller wheels. The correct answer for question 22 is explained as point A traveling a greater distance due to its larger circumference, but making fewer revolutions around the center of the wheel compared to point B. The conversation also touches on the use of gears on bicycles to offset the advantages and disadvantages of force and distance.
homeylova223
Homework Statement
it is a picture.
Relevant Equations
no equations needed
question19.jpg

I have a question about 19 and 22.19. I am not sure what difference having a large or smaller wheel would make when pedaling a bicycle. I would assume a large a larger radius turning would require more force.
22. The correct answer is c. I think this is because point A travels a large circumference than point B but it makes fewer revolutions around the center of wheel compared to point B that is my reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
homeylova223 said:
19. I am not sure what difference having a large or smaller wheel would make when pedaling a bicycle. I would assume a large a larger radius turning would require more force.
As the risk of sounding patronizing, is it a safe assumption that you have never been on a geared bicycle?
They are there for the very reason you mention.

homeylova223 said:
22. The correct answer is c. I think this is because point A travels a large circumference than point B but it makes fewer revolutions around the center of wheel compared to point B that is my reasoning.
Point A and Point B are points on the belt, right? Literally, you could paint dots on the belt in the appropriate locations and label them, right? As the wheels turn, how do you think the two paints dots are related in terms of distance?

Likes jbriggs444
22. Well for one revolution around the center of the wheel point A would travel a greater distance because of the greater circumference.

homeylova223 said:
22. Well for one revolution around the center of the wheel point A would travel a greater distance because of the greater circumference.
Is point A affixed to the belt or to the wheel?
Is point B affixed to the belt or to the wheel?
Does it matter?

@DaveC426913 is trying very hard to get you to think correctly about this.

homeylova223 said:
19. I am not sure what difference having a large or smaller wheel would make when pedaling a bicycle. I would assume a large a larger radius turning would require more force.
There is no mention to a bicycle in question #19.
Are you referring to question #20 instead?

For either question, what you basically have, at any instant, are two levers of different length, interconnected by a belt or chain.
The advantage to gaining force is offset by the disadvantage of losing distance.
The advantage to gaining distance is offset by the disadvantage of losing force.

Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_advantage

If you do mean q20, not 19, note that the diagram "wheels" are sprockets, not the bicycle wheels. In each diagram, the bicycle wheel is coaxial with the rear sprocket (Y) and turns at the same angular rate as the sprocket. The front sprocket turns with the pedals.

1. How does a bicycle wheel go uphill?

Going uphill on a bicycle wheel requires a combination of pedaling force and the wheel's rotational momentum. The pedaling force propels the bike forward, while the rotational momentum of the wheel helps to maintain balance and stability.

2. Is it harder to ride a bicycle uphill?

Yes, it is typically harder to ride a bicycle uphill due to the increased resistance from gravity and the need for more pedaling force to overcome it. However, factors such as the grade of the hill, the weight of the rider and bike, and the gear ratio can also affect the difficulty.

3. How do you maintain balance while riding a bicycle uphill?

To maintain balance while riding a bicycle uphill, it is important to keep your weight centered over the bike and to maintain a steady pedaling cadence. You can also shift your body weight slightly forward to help distribute the weight and maintain stability.

4. Can you ride a bicycle uphill without pedaling?

It is possible to ride a bicycle uphill without pedaling, but it requires a significant amount of speed and momentum. The rotational momentum of the wheels can help to keep the bike moving forward, but eventually, the bike will come to a stop if no pedaling force is applied.

5. Is it more efficient to stand or sit when riding a bicycle uphill?

Standing and sitting both have their advantages when riding a bicycle uphill. Standing allows for more power and force to be applied to the pedals, while sitting can provide better stability and balance. The best approach may vary depending on the rider's strength and the steepness of the hill.