Beta function of electroweak theory

In summary, the equation for the running coupling between the particles in the standard model is given in equation 2. This equation can be used to compute the b_i pieces, which are relevant for the s_w(mu)^2 or something calculation. The value for b2 at 173 GeV is for example coming from the presence of 12 Weyl fermions, 1 scalar, and C_2(G) = 2.
Sleuth
Hi everyone,

I have another (probably too) simple question for particle physicists on this forum, but I often realize that my understanding of QFT is still rather poor.

Do you know where I can find the electroweak beta function explicitly written down (at one-loop, of course)?
I would like to have a look at the explicit expression for it. The reason is that, as it's well known, non-abelian theories can be asymptotically free. But then, what about SU(2)xU(1) with SSB, i.e. the ew sector of the standard model? Is there a choice of parameters for which the electroweak interactions would become asymptotically free? Or does the SSB mechanism make this impossible?

Thanks!
Sleuth

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder, was the question below everyones' dignity ? xD

I wonder if anyone will answer the question now. Most people do not react well to "My servants! Attend me!"

Ehm... people do take themselves too seriously sometimes :) i was just making a joke. I thought the question would really be too stupid. Take it easy; ) i guess asking physics questions over Christmas is not the best thing someone can do :D

Thanks Hepth! The paper looks like it goes in the right direction. Going through it fast I haven't found a precise quantitative statement on the running of the ew couplings, but maybe I should take some time to read it more carefully!

Thanks

Hi Sleuth,

I hope you find the following interesting:

Please look at http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0412163v2.pdf.

Equation 2 is the general equation for the running coupling, and the relevant parameter is the b_i piece given in equation 3.

If you compute this for the SM(at 173 GeV) you find
b1=41/6 and b2 = -19/6.

b2 is for example coming from 12 Weyl fermions, 1 scalar, C_2(G) = 2 for SU(2), and T_R(I) = 1/2. So, if you want s_w(mu)^2 or something, you can compute 1/(1+alpha(b1,mu)/alpha(b2,mu)).

On the other hand, if you want to flip the signs etc. of the running beyond some high energy scales etc. where new particles might be living, you have to change the particle content (consistently) and compute the running of the beta functions under these conditions.

Hope this helps.

Edit, added scale at which the SM content gives those values. I believe it includes the top quark.

Related to Beta function of electroweak theory

1. What is the Beta function of electroweak theory?

The Beta function of electroweak theory is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of the coupling constants in the electroweak theory. It is used to study the renormalization group flow of the theory and can help determine the energy scale at which the electroweak symmetry is broken.

2. How is the Beta function calculated?

The Beta function is calculated using advanced mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory and Feynman diagrams. These calculations involve summing up an infinite series of terms to obtain a finite value for the Beta function.

3. What is the significance of the Beta function in electroweak theory?

The Beta function is significant because it allows us to understand how the coupling constants of the electroweak theory change with energy. This information is crucial for predicting the behavior of the theory at different energy scales and can help us test its validity.

4. Can the Beta function be experimentally tested?

Yes, the Beta function can be experimentally tested by studying the behavior of the electroweak theory at different energy scales. By comparing the predicted values of the coupling constants with experimental data, we can confirm the accuracy of the Beta function and the overall validity of the electroweak theory.

5. Are there any current research developments related to the Beta function of electroweak theory?

Yes, there is ongoing research to improve our understanding of the Beta function and its applications in the electroweak theory. Some recent developments include incorporating higher-order corrections and studying the effects of new physics beyond the Standard Model on the Beta function.