Beta functions and relevant/irrelevant operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of beta functions and their relation to differential equations. The difference between relevant and marginally relevant, and irrelevant and marginally irrelevant is also brought up. An example of the β function with coupling g_s is given, with a solution that shows the theory diverges at a certain point. The concept of asymptotic freedom is also mentioned. The main question is why the beta function is considered marginally relevant instead of relevant at lower energy scales. The conversation also mentions QED and QCD and how to determine if theories are marginally (ir)relevant or (ir)relevant.
eherrtelle59
Ok, I'm having some conceptual difficulty here. When discussing beta functions and the relation how these differential equations flow, I still don't quite get the difference between relevant vs. marginally relevant and irrelevant vs. marginally irrelevant.

For instance, take the β function with coupling g_s

[itex]\frac{dg^2_s}{d\ln M} = -\frac{14}{16\pi^2}g^4_s[/itex]

The solution is [itex]\frac{1}{g^2_s}=\frac{14}{16\pi^2} \ln(M/M')[/itex]
such that the theory diverges at M'. The theory's obviously asymptotically free, as when the scale M grows, the coupling g_s decreases.

So, since the beta function is negative, I know this is either irrelevant or marginally irrelevant. What's the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I'm wrong above.

At lower and lower energy scales M, g becomes larger and larger and therefore relevant. Why is it marginally relevant instead of relevant?

In case I'm being to obscure above, let's just work with QED vs. QCD.

How do you know these theories are marginally (ir)relevant as opposed to (ir)relevant?

Thanks

Related to Beta functions and relevant/irrelevant operators

1. What is a beta function?

The beta function is a mathematical function used in the study of differential equations and probability theory. It is defined as the integral from 0 to 1 of x^(a-1)*(1-x)^(b-1) dx, where a and b are positive real numbers.

2. What is the significance of beta functions in physics?

In physics, beta functions are used to calculate the behavior of relevant and irrelevant operators in a quantum field theory. They are also used to determine the renormalization group flow of a theory.

3. What are relevant operators?

Relevant operators are operators that are necessary for the description of a physical system. They are operators whose scaling dimensions are less than the spacetime dimension, meaning they are relevant at low energies.

4. What are irrelevant operators?

Irrelevant operators are operators that are not necessary for the description of a physical system. They are operators whose scaling dimensions are greater than the spacetime dimension, meaning they are irrelevant at low energies.

5. How are beta functions and relevant/irrelevant operators related?

Beta functions can be used to determine the scaling dimensions of relevant and irrelevant operators in a quantum field theory. They also play a crucial role in determining the renormalization group flow of a theory, which is important in understanding the behavior of these operators at different energy scales.