Best way to choose a journal topic to write about?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in writing a journal article about internal combustion engines and the challenges they face in finding a unique topic to write about. They also mention their graduate-level mechanical engineering background and the advice they have received from others in the field. The conversation concludes with the individual acknowledging that they may need to start with a simpler project before tackling a more complex one.
TheFerruccio
I've been wanting to write a journal article for quite some time. It doesn't have to be anything major, but I'd love to learn the process first-hand.

The most important thing is finding something that hasn't been done before, or an idea that hasn't been pursued. I'm finding a lot of trouble doing this! I have a deep interest in internal combustion engines, and I've been looking at a lot of the papers out there, looking at the ends and seeing what still needs to be done, but I'm finding the search to be very difficult. Most of the articles I've seen are thorough and profound, that have extensive lab work and what seems like months of heavy Ph.D.-level work.

Is it possible to just write something small? I'd love to just contribute in a small way, though I'm finding myself in awe at the amazing ideas all these researchers have. I feel at a loss at being able to contribute to this at all! I know I can definitely contribute in some way, though I think I need some direction.

I apologize if this post seems vague :P This whole thing is very new to me.

EDIT: I am currently doing graduate-level mechanical engineering. So, that's a bit of background as to what I know currently.

Physics news on Phys.org
try to see if you can make an internal combustion engine work with as little oxygen as possible, and using oxygen as the variable, measure power outputs

G037H3 said:
try to see if you can make an internal combustion engine work with as little oxygen as possible, and using oxygen as the variable, measure power outputs

It might be interesting to see that done with alternative fuels, too, as a comparison.

Well, since you are in a graduate-level program, you should be able to talk to some of the professors at your school about this. Many of them will likely have some smaller projects that might be suitable for you. Be aware that, however, you are underestimating the work that goes into many publications. I'm not sure about engineering, but most articles in the experimental sciences, reflect years of work by one (or more) PhD students.

TheFerruccio said:
I've been wanting to write a journal article for quite some time. It doesn't have to be anything major, but I'd love to learn the process first-hand.

The most important thing is finding something that hasn't been done before, or an idea that hasn't been pursued. I'm finding a lot of trouble doing this! I have a deep interest in internal combustion engines, and I've been looking at a lot of the papers out there, looking at the ends and seeing what still needs to be done, but I'm finding the search to be very difficult. Most of the articles I've seen are thorough and profound, that have extensive lab work and what seems like months of heavy Ph.D.-level work.

Is it possible to just write something small? I'd love to just contribute in a small way, though I'm finding myself in awe at the amazing ideas all these researchers have. I feel at a loss at being able to contribute to this at all! I know I can definitely contribute in some way, though I think I need some direction.

I apologize if this post seems vague :P This whole thing is very new to me.

EDIT: I am currently doing graduate-level mechanical engineering. So, that's a bit of background as to what I know currently.

This is a common problem for 'newbies'- the realization that the field of knowledge is much more vast than they have imagined.

One problem with your interest is that it's a well-developed field: internal combustion engines have been around for 100+ years, there's (probably) Trillions of dollars already spent improving them, and there's a lot of competition- people are still trying to improve them.

So your problem is that coming up with something that is of interest to someone else- the essence of a paper- is going to be really difficult.

I like Ygggdrasil's suggestion to see if there are existing projects you get involved with. I can't think of anything simple and easy (other than simple characterization/comparison studies), but that's because I'm not familiar with the field.

Andy Resnick said:
This is a common problem for 'newbies'- the realization that the field of knowledge is much more vast than they have imagined.

One problem with your interest is that it's a well-developed field: internal combustion engines have been around for 100+ years, there's (probably) Trillions of dollars already spent improving them, and there's a lot of competition- people are still trying to improve them.

So your problem is that coming up with something that is of interest to someone else- the essence of a paper- is going to be really difficult.

I like Ygggdrasil's suggestion to see if there are existing projects you get involved with. I can't think of anything simple and easy (other than simple characterization/comparison studies), but that's because I'm not familiar with the field.

This is definitely what I've experienced over the years. I could, perhaps, be starting a bit more complex than I need to start, and maybe there is something simpler to which I could contribute in some way.

Related to Best way to choose a journal topic to write about?

1. How do I choose a relevant topic for my journal article?

Selecting a relevant topic for your journal article involves identifying a gap in the existing literature, considering your own interests and expertise, and ensuring that the topic aligns with the scope and focus of the journal you plan to submit to.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a journal topic?

Some key factors to consider when choosing a journal topic include the current research trends and advancements in your field, the availability of data or resources, the potential impact and significance of the topic, and the audience and readership of the journal.

3. Should I choose a broad or specific topic for my journal article?

The level of specificity of your topic will depend on the scope and focus of the journal you plan to submit to. Generally, it is best to choose a topic that is narrow enough to provide a focused and in-depth analysis, but broad enough to be of interest and relevance to the readership of the journal.

4. How can I ensure that my chosen topic is original and not already covered in the literature?

To ensure that your chosen topic is original, it is important to conduct a thorough literature review to identify any existing research on the topic. You can also consult with your advisor or colleagues and use online databases and search engines to check for any previous publications on the topic.

5. What resources can I use to help me choose a journal topic?

Some helpful resources for choosing a journal topic include academic databases, online journals, scholarly publications, and conferences and symposiums in your field of study. You can also seek guidance from your advisor or collaborate with colleagues to brainstorm and refine your ideas.