Best software to show a solid of revolution

In summary, the speaker is looking for a program to help with their math department project involving revolving a piecewise function around the x-axis. They have found winplot but it only shows the finished product and are looking for something that can manipulate or automatically revolve to show the concept behind a solid of revolution. They mention Povray as a possibility but suggest looking into math or plotting packages such as Octave, Maxima, and Euler which are available for free in Linux Ubuntu.
USN2ENG
Hi,
I am doing a project for the math department and in it I would like to revolve this piecewise (3) function about the x axis. I have found programs like winplot which are pretty easy but it will only show the finished product. I am looking for something that I can either manipulate or it will revolve by itself to show the concept behind a solid of revolution. I looked at mathematica but I am not too familiar with that, does anyone know anything simple off hand?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
povray might be an overkill for a publication quality math paper...

I was thinking that something more along the lines of a math or plotting package might be sufficient and easy enough...just lately I saw the gallery for some Linux plotting program and now I just can't recall it...but, you may look into the capabilities of such programs like Octave, Maxima and Euler, they should all be available for free in your friendly Linux Ubuntu installation under Scientific or Engineering software.

Related to Best software to show a solid of revolution

What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. It is also known as a surface of revolution.

What is the best software to show a solid of revolution?

The best software to show a solid of revolution is a 3D modeling software, such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or SketchUp. These programs allow you to create and manipulate 3D shapes, making it easier to visualize and display a solid of revolution.

Can I use any other software to show a solid of revolution?

Yes, there are other software options available that can also be used to show a solid of revolution. Some popular options include Blender, Rhino, and 3ds Max. However, these programs may have a steeper learning curve compared to dedicated 3D modeling software.

Are there any free software options to show a solid of revolution?

Yes, there are some free software options available, such as TinkerCAD, OpenSCAD, and FreeCAD. These programs may have limited features compared to paid software, but they can still be used to create and display a solid of revolution.

Do I need any special skills to use software to show a solid of revolution?

Yes, using 3D modeling software to show a solid of revolution requires some basic knowledge and skills. You will need to know how to create and manipulate shapes, use different tools and functions, and understand how to view and rotate objects in 3D space. However, with practice and some online tutorials, anyone can learn how to use these programs effectively.