Find the volume of the solid of revolution, or state that it does not exist.

In summary, the volume of the solid of revolution for the region bounded by f(x)= the square root of ((x+3)/(x^3)) and the x-axis on the interval [1,infinity) is revolved around the x-axis can be found by using the disk method. After rewriting the integrand and applying the FTOC, we can take the limit as b approaches infinity and solve for the result, which is 5/2. It was not an indeterminate form because when rewritten, it was not infinity over infinity.
abc1
Find the volume of the solid of revolution, or state that it does not exist. The region bounded by f(x)= the square root of ((x+3)/(x^3)) and the x-axis on the interval [1,infinity) is revolved around the x-axis.

I tried using the disk method: pi* (sqrt(((x+3)/(x^3)))^2
Then I think I have to take the limit as b is approaching infinity from 1 to b of pi* (sqrt(((x+3)/(x^3)))^2. But I don't know how to take the limit now. Am I doing this problem correctly? Can someone please help me solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
We are given:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sqrt{\frac{x+3}{x^3}}\)

The volume of an arbitrary disk is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi r^2\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=f(x)=\sqrt{\frac{x+3}{x^3}}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi\frac{x+3}{x^3}\,dx\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\int_1^{\infty}\frac{x+3}{x^3}\,dx\)

Since this is an improper integral, we may write:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_1^{t}\frac{x+3}{x^3}\,dx \right)\)

I would suggest rewriting the integrand:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_1^{t}x^{-2}+3x^{-3}\,dx \right)\)

Now, apply the FTOC and then take the limit of the result. Can you proceed?

Thank you so much for replying! I was just wondering, would it be possible to use lhopital's rule to find the limit since V=πlimt→∞(∫t1x+3x3dx) would be infinity over infinity? I tried that and I got 1/(3x^2) and then tried to apply the fundamental theorem of calculus, but I got the wrong answer, and I don't understand why.

Also, I tried proceeding from where you left off, applying the FTOC and I got pi * (lim as b approches infinity of (b^-2 +3b^-3) - 4. So then wouldn't that equal pi * ( infinity + 4) so it would be infinity so it would diverge?

No, it's not an indeterminate form...I would write:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_1^{t}x^{-2}+3x^{-3}\,dx \right)=\pi\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left[\frac{x^{-1}}{-1}+\frac{3x^{-2}}{-2} \right]_1^t \right)\)

\(\displaystyle V=-\pi\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left[\frac{1}{x}+\frac{3}{2x^2} \right]_1^t \right)=-\pi\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{t}+\frac{3}{2t^2}-\frac{1}{1}-\frac{3}{2} \right)\)

Can you take the limit now?

Thanks so much! I got 5/2!

- - - Updated - - -

I have one more question though. Why wasn't it an indeterminate form? It looked like it would be infinity over infinity.

abc said:
Thanks so much! I got 5/2!

- - - Updated - - -

I have one more question though. Why wasn't it an indeterminate form? It looked like it would be infinity over infinity.

Don't forget the factor of $\pi$. :D

Do you mean the integrand in its original form? The following is not true in general:

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\,dx=\frac{\int_a^b f(x)\,dx}{\int_a^b g(x)\,dx}\)

Oh okay! Thanks so much again for your help! :)

Related to Find the volume of the solid of revolution, or state that it does not exist.

1. What is the solid of revolution?

The solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This can be visualized as the shape created by spinning a line segment or curve around a fixed point in space.

2. How do you find the volume of a solid of revolution?

To find the volume of a solid of revolution, you can use the method of cylindrical shells or the disk method. Both methods involve integrating the cross-sectional area of the shape along the axis of rotation.

3. When does the solid of revolution not exist?

The solid of revolution does not exist when the shape being rotated does not enclose a solid volume or when the shape is rotated in such a way that it intersects itself, creating overlapping layers.

4. Can the solid of revolution have a negative volume?

No, the volume of a solid of revolution cannot be negative. Since volume is a measure of space, it cannot have a negative value. However, the result of the calculation may be negative if the axis of rotation is shifted or if the shape being rotated has a hole or void in it.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

Yes, finding the volume of a solid of revolution has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of objects like cylinders, cones, and spheres, which are commonly found in everyday objects and structures.