Best plasma physics schools in Russia/Europe?

In summary, Russian universities have some good graduate programs in plasma physics. However, the competition is stiff, and the language barrier may be a difficult obstacle for some.
Hercuflea
Hi all,

I am an aspriing Fulbrighter looking into universities in Russia and Europe. My intended field in graduate school is in plasma physics and I have already had some research experience in plasma. I was wondering if there are any universities in Russia that have decent plasma physics graduate programs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every single one of the Russian students who were in my program in grad school (Princeton Plasma Physics) went to Novosibirsk. I'm not sure if it was just undergrad (or the equivalent) or if some of them also did a Masters equivalent there as well. I suspect a few had Masters type degrees since they were older.

There are certainly some good programs in Europe too, but I'm not really familiar with them; I'm more familiar with the experiments. Whatever universities in the UK are associated with Culham (JET and MAST experiments) would probably be a good start. I think Imperial College is one of them based on one of the big names in UK plasma physics works there. Other projects on the continent to possibly look into are TEXTOR, ASDEX Upgrade, Tore Supra, and W7-X (still being constructed). ASDEX and W7-X are associated with the Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik, which has two sites. There must be some kind of graduate program associated with them. Italy also has a project or two (RFX). Lastly, I know there is an RFP in Sweden too (which used to be based in the US). I do not know how vibrant their lab is, even though Alfvén worked there.

I know you didn't ask this, but there are quite a few world class projects in Japan as well. JT-60U and LHD. Probably associated with University of Tokyo, though there is some good work going on at other universities as well, like Kyoto.

Thanks kinkmode and Greg for the replies. There are many countries I'm interested in, but doubt I could master the language enough to pass the Fulbright interview in January (e.g. China, Japan, etc.). So I'm pretty much stuck with english/spanish speaking countries, countries with no language requirement, and maybe Russia since I've some rudimentary Russian skills and could improve them. I have spoken with one professor in Sweden, but the university only offers 2 plasma physics courses. Imperial college is the best one in the UK apparently for PP, but last year there were 24 applicants for 1 spot. Might still apply though.

As a scientist with expertise in plasma physics, I can provide some recommendations for the best schools in Russia and Europe for this field of study.

In Russia, the top universities for plasma physics are Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, Novosibirsk State University, and Saint Petersburg State University. These universities have strong research programs and facilities dedicated to plasma physics, with renowned professors and international collaborations.

In Europe, some of the top schools for plasma physics include École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne in Switzerland, Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics in Germany, and University of Oxford in the UK. These universities have a long history of excellence in plasma physics research and offer cutting-edge facilities and opportunities for students.

I also recommend considering universities that have partnerships or collaborations with leading plasma physics research institutions, such as the Joint Institute for High Temperatures in Russia or the European Fusion Programme in Europe. This can provide students with additional resources and opportunities for research and networking.

Overall, with the increasing importance of plasma physics in various fields such as energy, space exploration, and materials science, pursuing a graduate program in this field at a top university in Russia or Europe is a great choice for any aspiring Fulbrighter. I wish you the best of luck in your search and future studies in plasma physics.

Related to Best plasma physics schools in Russia/Europe?

1. What are some of the top plasma physics schools in Russia?

Some of the top plasma physics schools in Russia include Lomonosov Moscow State University, National Research Nuclear University MEPhI, and Saint Petersburg State University.

2. Are there any highly ranked plasma physics schools in Europe?

Yes, there are several highly ranked plasma physics schools in Europe, such as ETH Zurich in Switzerland, Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics in Germany, and University of Oxford in the UK.

3. What sets these plasma physics schools apart from others?

These schools have highly reputable programs and renowned faculty in the field of plasma physics. They also have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for research and hands-on learning opportunities.

4. Are there any specific requirements for admission to these schools?

Admission requirements vary by school, but most of these plasma physics schools require a strong background in physics and mathematics, as well as standardized test scores and letters of recommendation.

5. Can international students apply to these schools?

Yes, most of these plasma physics schools welcome international students and have specific application processes for international applicants. However, it is important to check with each school for their specific requirements and application deadlines.