Best Physics Schools for College | Ranked

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to attend a top physics program in college and their search for the best schools. Some of the top schools include MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, Harvard, and Stanford. However, the speaker is also reminded to not let rankings and prestige be the only factors in their decision and to consider their personal happiness and potential for academic excellence.
hawk320
I'm a junior in high school and looking around for what colleges I want to apply to. In college I want to go into a physics major and I was hoping that someone could tell me which schools had the best physics programs. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those rankings are for grad school. Is there a big difference between their programs?

Generally getting into a program such as Harvard/Princeton/CalTech is going to be extremely difficult for most people, their acceptance rates are so incredibly low that getting in is tough.

Don't let this discourage you tough, a lot of great minds come from all over, from many backgrounds, and the education you would receive at a quality state school or smaller private can be just as good, you just need to be certain you bust you butt and achieve academic excellance in undergrad.

Grad school is considerably more important than undergrad school, so I would visit each school and make a personal decision about where you want to go... don't let the USnews rankings or some other BS skew your desicison too much... you want to go where you will be HAPPY, not just the most "prestigious" place you can get into...

Also, many such top tier programs are ranked as such for their grad school programs, while the quality of their undergraduate programs can vary widely... I suggest sites like collegeconfidential.com and others to get a feel

Thanks.

Related to Best Physics Schools for College | Ranked

1. What factors are considered when ranking the best physics schools for college?

There are several factors that are typically considered when ranking physics schools for college, including research opportunities, faculty expertise, resources and facilities, student outcomes, and overall reputation.

2. How often are the rankings for the best physics schools for college updated?

The rankings for the best physics schools for college are typically updated on an annual basis. However, some rankings may be updated more frequently depending on the organization or publication producing the rankings.

3. Are there different rankings for undergraduate and graduate physics programs?

Yes, there are often separate rankings for undergraduate and graduate physics programs. This is because the criteria and metrics used to evaluate these programs may differ based on the level of education.

4. Can a school's ranking change significantly from year to year?

Yes, a school's ranking can change significantly from year to year. This could be due to changes in the criteria or methodology used to determine the rankings, as well as changes in the performance and reputation of the school itself.

5. How important are rankings when choosing a physics school for college?

Rankings can be a helpful tool in comparing different physics schools, but they should not be the sole determining factor in choosing a school. It's important to also consider factors such as personal fit, location, and program offerings when making a decision.