Best Mash-up, "hard" SciFi and Fantasy?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of a "mash-up" of hard science fiction and fantasy. The participants discuss the definition of hard sci-fi and how it differs from fantasy. Recommendations for books and movies that incorporate elements of both genres are made, and the idea of a crossover between characters from different stories is also suggested. The conversation also touches on the challenges of incorporating FTL travel in hard sci-fi and how it can affect the portrayal of physics and technology.
Noisy Rhysling
Suggestions, please. The subject may be broad, so don't be afraid to put something out for us to consider.

(I'm asking because I haven't really been in the genre in the past few decades.)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "hard" and by mash-up, you mean crossover?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
What do you mean "hard" and by mash-up, you mean crossover?
"The Martian" counts as "hard scifi" for me, wile LOTR is "pure fantasy.) (This may be an artifact from the '70s. (I remember that decade only vaguely.))

mash-up
  1. a mixture or fusion of disparate elements.
Thus we might have a space-faring race encountering a species of alien who apparently can do magic.

Okay, I see people may be having a hard time with this, so I'll pop out one or a few that are current.

Star Wars, a blend of spaceships and mystical forces.

Dune. Same again. Or is it?

But neither of those are "hard" sci-fi. Hard science fiction attempts to keep its science close to known science. Fantasy, by it's very definition, is the exploration of the fantastic.

Ryan_m_b said:
But neither of those are "hard" sci-fi. Hard science fiction attempts to keep its science close to known science. Fantasy, by it's very definition, is the exploration of the fantastic.
In order for both to be in a book each has to give way to some extent. The starships in Star Wars are based on science. The force is based on ... something else. Dune gets fuzzy with the precognition and, perhaps, the bending of space.

Interstellar was very scientifically accurate. They took into account the relativistic effects near a black hole and used a wormhole to travel through space instead of somehow traveling faster than c like they did in "Guardians of the Galaxy" and many other science fiction movies. I would strongly recommend it.

Noisy Rhysling said:
In order for both to be in a book each has to give way to some extent. The starships in Star Wars are based on science. The force is based on ... something else. Dune gets fuzzy with the precognition and, perhaps, the bending of space.

But the starships in Star Wars are not hard science. They have visible laser weapons, FTL engines, force fields, artificial gravity etcetera. None of that fits within the hard SciFi genre.

Ryan_m_b said:
But the starships in Star Wars are not hard science. They have visible laser weapons, FTL engines, force fields, artificial gravity etcetera. None of that fits within the hard SciFi genre.
As I said, mash-up have to compromise. I'm not looking for a perfect meld of the two genres, I don't know that such is possible.

Noisy Rhysling said:
As I said, mash-up have to compromise. I'm not looking for a perfect meld of the two genres, I don't know that such is possible.

I can't think how it would even be possible, unless something started out as hard SF and switched to fantasy or if it was seemingly a fantasy setting but the magic was an artifact of hard-SF technology. The genres are very different, contradictory even.

Ryan_m_b said:
I can't think how it would even be possible, unless something started out as hard SF and switched to fantasy or if it was seemingly a fantasy setting but the magic was an artifact of hard-SF technology. The genres are very different, contradictory even.
The movies and/or books I mentioned don't fit the bill for you?

I have a perfect set of books for you.
Try reading the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.

Starts out as hard(ish) Sci Fi (they do have jump drives though but at least everything is self consistent)
and then
Part way through the first book people start getting possessed by the dead. The possessed have the ability to change what people see and shoot lightning bolts and such.

Noisy Rhysling said:
The movies and/or books I mentioned don't fit the bill for you?

No...because they aren't hard science fiction.

Seems we're getting stuck on definitions. So, "anything close to a mashup of hard science fiction and fantasy" you can recommend?

Noisy Rhysling said:
Seems we're getting stuck on definitions. So, "anything close to a mashup of hard science fiction and fantasy" you can recommend?
Maybe these?
A Game of Universe - Eric Nylund
Bio of a Space Tyrant - Piers Anthony

I'll look into them. I like Anthony, most of the time.

Why not change the question? Why not ask for everybody’s ideal SciFi/fantasy crossover? Perhaps disregard the definitions of “hard” and accurate science fiction. Like, what two characters from two different stories would you like to see meet?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Why not change the question? Why not ask for everybody’s ideal SciFi/fantasy crossover? Perhaps disregard the definitions of “hard” and accurate science fiction. Like, what two characters from two different stories would you like to see meet?
I have no problem with that. Thanks for the suggestion.

William Vasiladiotis said:
Interstellar was very scientifically accurate. They took into account the relativistic effects near a black hole and used a wormhole to travel through space instead of somehow traveling faster than c like they did in "Guardians of the Galaxy" and many other science fiction movies. I would strongly recommend it.

I'm particularly fond of how they handled wormhole travel in Babylon 5, where they used what might be a communal wormhole, or perhaps and alternate universe, to fulfill their FTL needs.

The inevitable dilemma with hard-science stories that allow for FTL (and for this post FTL stands for any scheme used to get from here to Alpha Centuri in the next few days instead of the next few centuries) is that any society that has FTL is going to have a take on physics and technology that will make some, if not most, hard science fiction ideas and tropes mute. In such a place at least some of our ideas on physics will be seriously modified or discredited. The interesting trick to me would be figuring out which ideas have been discredited and what they have been replaced with.

Related to Best Mash-up, "hard" SciFi and Fantasy?

1. What is a "mash-up" in the context of SciFi and Fantasy?

A mash-up in the context of SciFi and Fantasy refers to a combination of elements or themes from both genres in one work. It can involve blending characters, settings, technology, or magic from both genres to create a unique and cohesive story.

2. What makes a SciFi and Fantasy mash-up considered "hard"?

A "hard" SciFi and Fantasy mash-up is one that incorporates scientific and technological concepts, as well as magical or fantastical elements, in a realistic and believable manner. It requires a high level of scientific and world-building knowledge to create a cohesive and internally consistent universe.

3. How does a SciFi and Fantasy mash-up differ from traditional SciFi or Fantasy?

A SciFi and Fantasy mash-up differs from traditional SciFi or Fantasy by combining elements from both genres. It may also have a more complex and intricate plot, as well as a larger and more diverse set of characters and world-building elements.

4. What are some examples of successful "hard" SciFi and Fantasy mash-ups?

Some examples of successful "hard" SciFi and Fantasy mash-ups include the "Dune" series by Frank Herbert, which combines elements of science fiction, fantasy, and political intrigue; "The Expanse" series by James S.A. Corey, which blends hard science fiction with political drama and space opera; and the "Mistborn" series by Brandon Sanderson, which merges elements of epic fantasy with a complex magic system.

5. What challenges do authors face when creating a "hard" SciFi and Fantasy mash-up?

Creating a "hard" SciFi and Fantasy mash-up can be challenging for authors as it requires a deep understanding of both genres and the ability to blend them seamlessly. They must also ensure that the science and technology in their story are scientifically accurate and consistent, while also maintaining the rules and limitations of their fantasy elements. Additionally, creating a unique and engaging story that appeals to fans of both genres can be a difficult task.