Best book to self teach yourself physics

In summary: If you are looking for an introductory book that is self-contained, I would recommend picking up either Halliday and Resnick or Serway's Physics for Students.
Cosmo16
hey, i really want to learn physics. however, I can't learn it in school yet. What are the best books for teaching yourself physics?
p.s. I would eventually like to go into quantum, or another branch of theoetical physics. I'm not sure if this would influence the books I should start off reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious choice is probably The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Exist in printed form and as audio books. A sample of the goodness is currently swarming here:
http://www.thepiratebay.com/torrents-details.php?id=3279186

Last edited by a moderator:
--- and, for the more budget minded, http://www.jimloy.com/books/physics0.htm
--- not Feynman, and oriented more to the introductory level, but otherwise decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cosmo16 said:
hey, i really want to learn physics. however, I can't learn it in school yet. What are the best books for teaching yourself physics?
p.s. I would eventually like to go into quantum, or another branch of theoetical physics. I'm not sure if this would influence the books I should start off reading.

I'd ask what grade you're in, but that's not really what matters. What's the highest level of maths you've been able to master? Feynman's lectures may prove quite formidable to someone who isn't familiar with vectors, analytic geometry, calculus, etc.

Mentat, could you advise a book for someone just finishing Calc BC? I'm a high school senior right now, and I want a book that will help me delve into college physics. I've completed AP Physics B and almost C - which are both introductory college level courses.

Last edited:
My advice: You don't want Feynman yet. You want Halliday and Resnick.

I'm not trying to break into this thread but..

Do you have a say between University Physics and Halliday? These are the two I'm mainly looking at -- can't decide which one.

*And also which Halliday and Resnick are you talking about? 7th edition extended? Thanks.

Knavish said:
I'm not trying to break into this thread but..

That's OK, anyone may post to any thread.

Do you have a say between University Physics and Halliday? These are the two I'm mainly looking at -- can't decide which one.

University Physics by whom?

*And also which Halliday and Resnick are you talking about? 7th edition extended? Thanks.

Whichever one you have would be fine. I studied from the 2nd edition and I taught from the 4th and 5th. They were all good.

11th Edition by Hugh D. Young

If you haven't heard of this book, it probably sucks. I'll likely go with Halliday..

Thanks for the quick replies; as you can see I'm not familiar with this, and I don't want to get screwed.

Knavish said:
11th Edition by Hugh D. Young

If you haven't heard of this book, it probably sucks. I'll likely go with Halliday..

Well, I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean it sucks.

In addition to Halliday and Resnick, I also like Serway's book and Tipler's book, both at the same level. But to teach yourself introductory physics, you can't go wrong with Halliday and Resnick. And seeing that you already have it, well...

Hmm, you know what.. I'm just going to get Halliday's.

You see, I do have a introductory physics backround, but it's somewhat loose. Since my school doesn't teach it, I self-studied using prep books such as PR. Maybe this book will give me a solid understanding, and I'll look for a more complex book this summer.

Thanks.

Knavish said:
Hmm, you know what.. I'm just going to get Halliday's.

You see, I do have a introductory physics backround, but it's somewhat loose. Since my school doesn't teach it, I self-studied using prep books such as PR. Maybe this book will give me a solid understanding, and I'll look for a more complex book this summer.

Thanks.

Yes,okay,but you have to remember that the more "complex" the physics gets,the more mathematics you need to know to understand it.

Daniel.

University Physics by Young and Freedman is the up-to-date edition of the original version by Sears and Zemansky. It is quite a good book covering the overall concepts of physics. However some topics in it are discussed in depth like electrodynamics, mechanics etc.

Related to Best book to self teach yourself physics

What is the best book to self teach yourself physics?

The best book to self teach yourself physics may vary depending on your learning style and level of understanding. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt.

Do I need any background knowledge to use a self-teaching physics book?

It is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and calculus before attempting to learn physics on your own. Some books may also assume prior knowledge of geometry and trigonometry.

Can I use a self-teaching physics book to prepare for an exam?

Yes, self-teaching physics books can be a great resource for preparing for exams. However, it is important to also supplement your studying with practice problems and seek additional help if needed.

Are there any online resources that can supplement a self-teaching physics book?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems that can enhance your understanding of the material covered in a self-teaching physics book.

How long does it take to self teach yourself physics using a book?

The time it takes to self teach yourself physics using a book can vary greatly depending on your dedication, prior knowledge, and learning style. It is important to set a realistic schedule and consistently work through the material to see progress.