Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

story645 said:
Apply and take the core courses, 'specially the ones that can be used in everything. Majors aren't set in stone, and it's not difficult to switch in your first year or so.

Thanks for the help and advice.

I live in Canada and the universities make you apply to programs (set of courses) I'm not sure if I can change courses but I'll see what I can do. I wish I was smart enough to become a theoretical physicist or an astronomer...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

CheckMate said:
I wish I was smart enough to become a theoretical physicist or an astronomer...

How do you know you're not? Passion and hard work are far more important then talent, which you very well may have anyway. Personally, I think if you're smart enough for engineering, you're probably smart enough for astronomy.

story645 said:
How do you know you're not? Passion and hard work are far more important then talent, which you very well may have anyway. Personally, I think if you're smart enough for engineering, you're probably smart enough for astronomy.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am going into engineering since I am more into applied mathematics and physics. I am not sure into what branch of engineering I am pursuing but anything that involves lots of maths and physics will do for me. :)

CheckMate said:
I live in Canada and the universities make you apply to programs (set of courses) I'm not sure if I can change courses but I'll see what I can do.
Yes, in Canada, you can switch your major. Many people really don't know what they are going to do until the end of their 2nd year.

That is the important reason to do core courses that are used in many majors. Do the important prereqs and you can switch between engineering/math/physics/comp-sci/chem... IF you plan it right. If you switch too late, it just means you stay in school a little longer catching up on the courses you need.

Sankaku said:
Yes, in Canada, you can switch your major. Many people really don't know what they are going to do until the end of their 2nd year.

That is the important reason to do core courses that are used in many majors. Do the important prereqs and you can switch between engineering/math/physics/comp-sci/chem... IF you plan it right. If you switch too late, it just means you stay in school a little longer catching up on the courses you need.

it isn't that easy at some schools. For example, at UofT, engineering is a faculty of its own - so you'll have to deal with faculty transferring

wisvuze said:
...so you'll have to deal with faculty transferring

Certainly there is often red-tape to deal with, but if you have good marks and appropriate courses, there is no valid reason why you can't switch. Schools have plenty of red-tape in many places. Don't let it stop you from doing what you want to do. Confidence and charm help...

What do you think about a career change to engineering or computer science at 35? I am currently a CPA. I am bored to tears with my job, and I really want to do something that is creative.

cpa said:
What do you think about a career change to engineering or computer science at 35? I am currently a CPA. I am bored to tears with my job, and I really want to do something that is creative.

I go to a large commuter school, so a good percentage (probably over half) the guys in my courses are around your age/older, so I know it's doable. It's the whole financial/family thing-can you afford to take a drastic pay cut or work while taking night courses for 4 or 5 years? I had a friend who got a degree in EE after working for years (with a history degree) and ended up in the same job he did before the degree because of the job market.

Do you want CS to be a coder, or to be a real computer scientist? If it's the former, you may just want to go the "teach yourself, get involved with open source" route. A really great option for you may be to take a masters in comp sci. The way my school runs it is that you take undergrad courses to fill in the missing material, then take the masters courses. It adds about a year, but you get a masters out of it. Talk to the schools you're thinking of going to and see what they offer.

CPA, you said "bored to tears"?

This is on a more philosophical/psychological note, which I feel very passionate about, but isn't there a way to enjoy pretty much everything once one is "in the zone"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Even though "on the outside" this CPA material may be boring day in and day out, but ultimately in the human mind isn't information processed just as information? So whether you do engineering/CS or accounting, looking at the glass as half full will make it enjoyable either way, won't it? Even something such as sweeping floors day in and day out can be enjoyable, right?

I guess I'm looking at a strong case of mental training and tame-ability here. (Just asking because I'm having the dilemma of career choice and am currently applying for colleges/majors... :)

story645 said:
I go to a large commuter school, so a good percentage (probably over half) the guys in my courses are around your age/older, so I know it's doable. It's the whole financial/family thing-can you afford to take a drastic pay cut or work while taking night courses for 4 or 5 years? I had a friend who got a degree in EE after working for years (with a history degree) and ended up in the same job he did before the degree because of the job market.

No kids yet, so wife and I can hack it. Ironically, she is an ee.

Do you want CS to be a coder, or to be a real computer scientist? If it's the former, you may just want to go the "teach yourself, get involved with open source" route. A really great option for you may be to take a masters in comp sci. The way my school runs it is that you take undergrad courses to fill in the missing material, then take the masters courses. It adds about a year, but you get a masters out of it. Talk to the schools you're thinking of going to and see what they offer.

I definitely do not just want to be a coder, although it is comforting to know how easy it is to make a basic living by just programming: it's always a default position at any point along the career track.

You are on point with your comment about the masters idea. I've already been in touch with a cs professor in my area, and he's very excited about getting me into the masters/phd program. From what I've read, it's a source of cheap labor for the universities but I would like to believe there is more to it than just that.

avant-garde said:
CPA, you said "bored to tears"?

This is on a more philosophical/psychological note, which I feel very passionate about, but isn't there a way to enjoy pretty much everything once one is "in the zone"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Even though "on the outside" this CPA material may be boring day in and day out, but ultimately in the human mind isn't information processed just as information? So whether you do engineering/CS or accounting, looking at the glass as half full will make it enjoyable either way, won't it? Even something such as sweeping floors day in and day out can be enjoyable, right?

I guess I'm looking at a strong case of mental training and tame-ability here. (Just asking because I'm having the dilemma of career choice and am currently applying for colleges/majors... :)

Avant-garde -

I appreciate your comment and understand you more than you can know. In writing this post, you have taken a page out of my playbook for this is the type of thought process I engage in continually. It is rare to meet a similar soul, so thank you very much for the breath of fresh air!

The answer to you is, yes. It's not so much WHAT we are doing but rather the very ACT of doing that brings fulfillment. In my opinion, the key to our natural life is to maximize our potential in every dimension of our personality. The form that our life takes can develop in one hundred and one ways, but so long as it is developing such that every part and parcel of our being is stimulated and alive, we will be happy.

The key is in understanding who and what we are. As you well know, we all have varying aptitudes both intellectually and emotionally, so the real secret to a happy life is to find an environment that will allow us to thrive in both of those dimensions. If someone is of a slow mind, he or she will be miserable in work that requires a lot of intellectual effort because it will be difficult for that person to produce. Likewise, someone who is of a less sensitive temperment would be miserable in an environment that emphasized close and intimate contact with other living beings. Of course, I'm making an oversimplification here, but I hope you get the point.

So, back to your comment. As far as intellectual stimulation is concerned, there isn't much difference between processing accounting or algorithms because both require analysis. However, what if you begin to find that your job is not intellectually challenging enough? What if your mind is getting bored? What if the "grind" of accounting is such that you very rarely get to research or solve difficult issues? Do you see where I'm going? The intellectual stimulation that you seek is contstantly subverted by the reality of your job.

And, on an emotional level, accounting offers very little satisfaction. There is very little I can "create" in accounting which in my experience is what stimulates me emotionally. Maybe I can set up a new accounting system for a client or something like that, but it is rare to have an opportunity to do something of that nature; and, let's face it: that is a pretty menial task in comparison to actually engineering a product or process that is sucessful and ultimately utilized for the common good.

This is why I have an interest in science and engineering. I hope, and I write this as an outsider knowing full well that most of you have far better perspective than I do on this point, that science and engineering will provide me with greater intellectual stimulation and also creative release. There's no doubt I would be happier in this kind of environment.

And, the fact that you even asked the question that you did leads me to believe that maybe this group of folks is more of a kindred spirit.

^ CPA have you ever considered the situation "the grass is always greener on the other side..."?

avant-garde said:
^ CPA have you ever considered the situation "the grass is always greener on the other side..."?

Yes, for sure. But, I really do believe there is a lot to be said for not being a fish out of water.

avant-garde said:
The only thing green about accounting is the money you count (and occasionally make). I can totally understand needing a more fulfilling profession. As long as you are realistic about job opportunities, don't let anyone stand in the way of pursuing your dreams. You only live once.

Sankaku said:
The only thing green about accounting is the money you count (and occasionally make). I can totally understand needing a more fulfilling profession. As long as you are realistic about job opportunities, don't let anyone stand in the way of pursuing your dreams. You only live once.

Well said, and I admire your wit. Would you mind elaborating on job opportunities? I do not want to be ignorant on this point. I am 35 making this change, so let's assume I'm 40 when my education is completed and I transition into the job market.

Sankaku said:

I have a few engineer friends who are bored to tears with their jobs too. Sitting in front of CAD all day for a year and a half designing a fan blade for some subcomponent can get old. Experiences will vary of course.

cpa, the BLS page on engineers, http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm, has lots of good info. If you are looking for a total restart into a new field, I expect that you would start at the entry level. Have you worked at a company with engineers? Also, might changing course in your career and finding a finance job with a manufacturing company satisfy you?

A lot of larger companies will pay for you to take courses part time while you work for them too. Some, like United Technologies, don't care what you study either and will give you a bonus when you finish a degree program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sankaku said:

Thanks, Sankaku. Just curious, it would help me to know what experience you've had in the field.

cpa said:
Yes, for sure. But, I really do believe there is a lot to be said for not being a fish out of water.

Umm... could you clarify what you meant by this post?

avant-garde said:
Thanks, Sankaku. Just curious, it would help me to know what experience you've had in the field.
I have dealt with accountants on a regular basis for the last 10 years. I prepare quite a lot of financial material for our accountant and have had to switch accountants 3 times and needed to assess hiring new ones. Despite it being for my own company, and very relevant to my success, I personally do not find accounting a fulfilling activity. Some people find accounting very interesting, but I am not one of them. I believe that many people get into accounting with a fantasy view of what it actually involves (which can be said of many careers).

There are tedious aspects of (almost) every job, but you have to be fulfilled at some level by what you do, or you are essentially trading your life away for money.

kote said:
I have a few engineer friends who are bored to tears with their jobs too. Sitting in front of CAD all day for a year and a half designing a fan blade for some subcomponent can get old. Experiences will vary of course.

cpa, the BLS page on engineers, http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm, has lots of good info. If you are looking for a total restart into a new field, I expect that you would start at the entry level. Have you worked at a company with engineers? Also, might changing course in your career and finding a finance job with a manufacturing company satisfy you?

A lot of larger companies will pay for you to take courses part time while you work for them too. Some, like United Technologies, don't care what you study either and will give you a bonus when you finish a degree program.

Point taken on the fan blade idea. If that's all it amounted too, I certainly wouldn't do it.

I have not worked at a company with engineers, but my wife is an ee so I do know a little bit about the culture. I don't really think the finance gig will do it, although finance is definitely more enjoyable than straight-up accounting.

Thanks for the link and tip on company-paid tuition.

Sankaku said:
I have dealt with accountants on a regular basis for the last 10 years. I prepare quite a lot of financial material for our accountant and have had to switch accountants 3 times and needed to assess hiring new ones. Despite it being for my own company, and very relevant to my success, I personally do not find accounting a fulfilling activity. Some people find accounting very interesting, but I am not one of them. I believe that many people get into accounting with a fantasy view of what it actually involves (which can be said of many careers).

There are tedious aspects of (almost) every job, but you have to be fulfilled at some level by what you do, or you are essentially trading your life away for money.

Avante-garde, Sankaku's last sentence is what I meant by fish out of water. That's exactly my sentiment.

Ah. I see your point. Basically nothing is ideal, but it's worth the trade-off.

cpa, have you ever thought about becoming actuary? I've heard that the work is much more interesting than other accounting/finance jobs.

avant-garde said:
Ah. I see your point. Basically nothing is ideal, but it's worth the trade-off.

cpa, have you ever thought about becoming actuary? I've heard that the work is much more interesting than other accounting/finance jobs.

The joke I always heard was that they were the only ones more boring than accountants!

My mom has always told me that I should be an accountant or architect. I chose engineering, eventually after a few major major changes.

CPA you sound terribly bored with you job. I say, no matter what your age, if you are passionate about it and can afford it, go for it. Obviusly the grass is always greener, but just the going back to school part will be very exciting. Take it from someone who took time from off from work. Eventually I went back to get a degree because I wasn't happy with my job. I was bored to death. Goodluck to you.

Engineering for me is a passion to lead ~ I'm a 12 grader student looking to finish high school with a good performance , and start what I really think of ( Engineering ).

I'm excellent at Math , Physics and chemistry , infact math and physics are my Love . Their are two opinions I'm thinking of Mechanical Engineering or Civil Engineering .But what I would like to tell is that I'm not a handman person or I feel lazy to do something by hand, I'm a person that uses my Brain in most cases ~

Therefore , I'm waiting for Engineers to give me the true medicine for me that will help me and help my future .

-Aladdin- said:
Therefore , I'm waiting for Engineers to give me the true medicine for me that will help me and help my future .
Eek, engineering is hard, like crazy difficult hard, so please don't go in thinking it's going to be a fix it for anything.

Hands-on stuff varies from school to school and depends on how involved in it you want to get, so you can mostly stick to solving problems through equations. Granted, ME and CE are two of the most hands on majors, but you'll sort it out. ME is more physics, CE more of a mixture.

story645 said:
varies from school to school and depends on how involved in it you want to get, so you can mostly stick to solving problems through equations. .

Can you please clarify your point ... & like what ?

-Aladdin- said:
Can you please clarify your point ... & like what ?

Most of the hands on stuff is in labs, design courses, and clubs. Every school is slightly different in the number of labs you're requires to take, the amount of project heavy courses, and you can choose what clubs to participate in. Clubs and senior projects are usually the ones who enter various competitions.

llauren84 said:
My mom has always told me that I should be an accountant or architect. I chose engineering, eventually after a few major major changes.

CPA you sound terribly bored with you job. I say, no matter what your age, if you are passionate about it and can afford it, go for it. Obviusly the grass is always greener, but just the going back to school part will be very exciting. Take it from someone who took time from off from work. Eventually I went back to get a degree because I wasn't happy with my job. I was bored to death. Goodluck to you.

That's encouraging. Thanks!

I just finished one of my first semesters in an engineering program and I have to say I love it. I haven't gotten to any of my ee courses, but I love math and physics, and so I feel like this is my perfect spot. I'm not that good at mathematics, but I found if you study hard and think about the work, calculus as a whole is a pretty easy subject (I'm sure there are hard graduate courses that I'm not thinking about). As far as my computer science and MATLAB courses, they aren't that bad either.

Seriously, I give a lot of the credit to this thread since it kind of led to my choice. Thanks! :!)

I like both civil and mechanical engineer. But I don't like working a lot indoors. I would rather work indoors and outdoors once I get my degree.

If I wanted to join the military with an engineering degree, what would be the best major that could get me to work during military operations ?

CheckMate said:
If I wanted to join the military with an engineering degree, what would be the best major that could get me to work during military operations ?

Talk to a recruiter about this. Ask about the requirements for becoming a field tech (I'm pretty sure that's what you're looking to be.) Also look into the Army and Navy Engineer Corps, like Vanadium 50 suggested in your thread. Their work looks like it's right up your alley. http://cpolwapp.belvoir.army.mil/coe-gwot/

And, as other people pointed out, there are plenty of field tech engineering jobs that don't require working in the military.

Hello, right now I am in my first semester of electrical engineering, and am having a few doubts about my course.

Whatever I have learned in my first semester seems kind of basic. I mean, they are not school level topics, for example in mathematics I have stuff like calculus of several variables, multiple integrals, at least the kind of topics not taught in schools in my country, but I don't seem to have to use my mind for anything at all. For problems, and generally understanding the theory, I used to use my brains a lot more in the 12th grade. The methods for solving individual problems are given, and students are expected to remember those and just recreate them in the examination. Not much of original problem solving is involved.

The teachers don't explain much theory in class, all the lectures are aimed at explaining questions that are likely to appear in the university exam. Everything is very marks and grade oriented, the teachers even comment on how much individual topics are worth in marks. Everything is taught strictly according to syllabus, and very rarely do the teachers divulge from the scope of the syllabus. You can't blame them really, everyone here cares only about the exam results, and there isn't much time to cover the syllabus, but it really isn't what I expected from my engineering course.

I have found it tough going, but that is really not because the syllabus itself is tough, I spend 3 hours a day in travel everyday, and haven't been able to find enough time to complete all my college assignments and study till I am satisfied. I have been performing well in tests however, and am expecting a good performance in the upcoming university exam next month. This does nothing to rid me of my worries: I don't want to end up with good grades but shallow knowledge.

Is my experience common, is it like this in most engineering schools or is it just my college? Also, my electrical engineering courses don't exactly start till the second year, are there chances of my experience being somewhat different from then on?

Wisey said:
Is my experience common, is it like this in most engineering schools or is it just my college? Also, my electrical engineering courses don't exactly start till the second year, are there chances of my experience being somewhat different from then on?
Usually the first year of an engineering program is rather general to bring students up to speed with basic maths and terminology in the particular engineering discipline. Some of what one wrote may be unique to one's university or program, but it's hard to tell without more details.

Wisey said:
First year is mostly general pre-reqs at my school too. The problems depend on the school and professor, but sort of/not quite. It's still a lot of "this is the method to solve this type of problem" work, but projects and assignments do start to show up where you have to figure out which method to use for a situation. Most professors lean towards a theory or practical bent, so sometimes it's hard to get the right balance.