Becoming a supersenior to get into grad school. Advices please.

In summary, the number of years it takes to become a supersenior can vary, but it is generally expected to complete an undergraduate degree within four years. Becoming a supersenior does not necessarily hurt your chances of getting into grad school, as admissions committees will consider your overall academic performance and potential for success. To make your supersenior year stand out on your grad school application, you can take challenging courses, maintain a high GPA, and get involved in research or extracurricular activities. When explaining your decision to become a supersenior on your grad school application, you can highlight any challenges you faced and focus on the positive aspects of your supersenior year. However, the decision to become a supersenior should
amoena
Hi, fellow inquisitors of cosmos.

I'm an undergrad senior in physics.

I have declared my major after my sophomore year, so I had to force myself to complete the undergrad study in 2 years. I took all the important courses(EM I, II, Thermal physics, QM1, etc.) in 1.5 year. As a result, I could not study thoroughly and my grades were unsatisfactory. I couldn't cover all materials till the midterms, and I was too stressed out(midterm grades, etc.) rest of the semester. (bad marks: W in ODE, C+ in linear algebra, B in both EM I and II, and B- in thermal physics)

Especially during the last semester where I was supposed to take GREs to apply graduate schools, I ended up not taking GREs. Because of the failures I had for past 1.5 years, I am still frustrated and not confident enough. However, I would still be happiest if I can keep physics alongside with my life. I decided to spend an extra year as an undergrad preparing for grad school(more courses, more research, and GREs)

I have heard that the openings for professor positions are very small. Do you think I still have chance to get into good grad school and so on? My parents have concerns regarding my job opportunity(I am an international student)

What would you recommend for me to do for the rest of my undergrad life? I have 1.5 year till graduation, and roughly 0.9? year till grad school application.

One of the things I am considering is to write honors thesis, but I can also attempt to get published in journals too. Should I complete the honor thesis before I apply for grad school to have better chance of admission? what should I focus on?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello fellow inquisitor of cosmos!

First of all, congratulations on declaring your major in physics and nearing the end of your undergraduate studies. It sounds like you have faced some challenges in your academic journey, but I want to assure you that it is not uncommon for students to struggle with certain courses or feel overwhelmed with the workload. What's important is how you handle these challenges and learn from them.

In terms of your concerns about your grades and GRE scores, it's important to remember that these are just one aspect of your application to graduate school. Admissions committees also look at your research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. So, even if your grades are not perfect, if you have strong research experience and letters of recommendation, you still have a good chance of getting into a good graduate program.

In terms of job opportunities, it's true that the competition for professor positions is high. However, there are many other career paths available for physics graduates, such as working in industry, government, or research institutions. So, don't limit yourself to just one career path and keep an open mind about the opportunities available to you.

As for your remaining time in undergrad, I would recommend focusing on strengthening your research experience and finding a mentor who can guide you in your research projects. This will not only make you a more competitive applicant for graduate school, but it will also give you a better understanding of what research in physics entails and help you decide if it's the right path for you.

Regarding the honors thesis, it can be a valuable experience but it's not necessary for admission to graduate school. If you have the time and resources to complete it, then it can definitely enhance your application. However, don't stress too much about it if it's not feasible for you.

In summary, don't let your past challenges discourage you from pursuing your passion for physics. Keep working hard, gaining research experience, and reaching out to mentors for guidance. With determination and perseverance, I have no doubt that you will find success in your academic and career pursuits. Best of luck to you!

Related to Becoming a supersenior to get into grad school. Advices please.

1. How many years does it take to become a supersenior?

The number of years it takes to become a supersenior can vary, as it depends on the individual's academic progress and any potential interruptions or delays. However, it is generally expected that a student will complete their undergraduate degree within four years.

2. Will becoming a supersenior hurt my chances of getting into grad school?

While it is not ideal to take more than four years to complete your undergraduate degree, becoming a supersenior does not necessarily hurt your chances of getting into grad school. Admissions committees will consider your overall academic performance and potential for success in graduate studies.

3. What can I do to make my supersenior year stand out on my grad school application?

You can make your supersenior year stand out on your grad school application by taking challenging courses, maintaining a high GPA, and getting involved in research or extracurricular activities related to your field of interest. You can also use your personal statement to explain any extenuating circumstances that may have led to your supersenior status.

4. How can I explain my decision to become a supersenior in my grad school application?

In your grad school application, you can explain your decision to become a supersenior by highlighting any academic or personal challenges you may have faced, and how they have influenced your academic journey. You can also focus on the positive aspects of your supersenior year, such as taking additional courses to strengthen your knowledge and skills.

5. Is it worth it to become a supersenior to improve my chances of getting into grad school?

The decision to become a supersenior should not be solely based on improving your chances of getting into grad school. While it may demonstrate your dedication and perseverance, it is important to consider the potential financial and time costs of an extra year of undergraduate studies. It is important to weigh your options and make a decision that is best for your individual situation.