Baryon singlet representation for SU(3) flavour symmetry

In summary, the SU(3) baryon flavor singlet is an isospin 0 uds combination and does not exist in the ground state due to Fermi statistics. However, there is an excited state with T=0 and J=3/2, with the Lambda(1890) being the best candidate. The Lambda particle of the baryon octet is a uds spin 1/2 state that does exist in the ground state. The reason why the singlet does not exist is because its total wave function is not antisymmetric under SU(3) and spatially. This is due to the spin addition leading to a mixed symmetry state.
Pietjuh
Hi there!

As most people already might know, we can decompose the 27 dimensional representation for the baryons under SU(3) flavour symmetry as 27 = 10 + 8 + 8 + 1. I can find a lot of information about the particles that lie in the decuplet and in the octet, but nothing about which particle is associated to the singlet representation. Can anyone give me some information about this? :)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
the singlet particle is uds (lambda) and it does not exist in the ground state (angular momentum zero) due to Fermi statistics.

Hamster is right that the SU(3) baryon flavor singlet is an isospin 0 uds combination. He's also right that it doesn't exist: however, it still possesses (or would possess) angular momentum of 1/2, because the three quarks each have spin 1/2. I think he means there is no orbital angular momentum.

There is an excited SU(3) singlet. It must have T=0, J=3/2, and a quick look in the PDG suggests to me that the best candidate is the Lambda(1890).

There is a uds spin 1/2 state that is the Lambda particle of the baryon octet.
It does exist in the octet ground state.

Vanadium 50 said:
Hamster is right that the SU(3) baryon flavor singlet is an isospin 0 uds combination. He's also right that it doesn't exist

Could you explain to me why it doesn't exist? I've also been wondering about this question.

It's a fermion so it's total wave function has to be antisymmetric. If I make it symmetric in color, under SU(3) and spatially, it's total wave function isn't antisymmetric.

petergreat said:
Could you explain to me why it doesn't exist? I've also been wondering about this question.
The spin addition 1/2+1/2+1/2=1/2 leads to a spin state of mixed symmetry (not completely symmetric or antisymmetric). This means the flavor state must also be mixed, which requires a flavor octet, and not a singlet.

Related to Baryon singlet representation for SU(3) flavour symmetry

What is the Baryon singlet representation for SU(3) flavour symmetry?

The Baryon singlet representation is a mathematical concept used in the study of particle physics. It is a representation of the SU(3) flavour symmetry, which is a mathematical model used to describe the properties of subatomic particles. In this representation, each baryon (a type of subatomic particle) is classified based on its flavour, which refers to its unique combination of quarks.

Why is the Baryon singlet representation important in particle physics?

The Baryon singlet representation is important because it allows scientists to classify and study the different types of baryons based on their flavour. This helps to better understand the properties and behavior of these particles, which in turn can provide insight into the fundamental forces and structure of the universe.

How is the Baryon singlet representation related to the concept of symmetry?

The Baryon singlet representation is a specific application of the concept of symmetry in particle physics. In this case, the symmetry refers to the fact that the laws of physics governing the behavior of baryons are the same regardless of their flavour. This symmetry allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of baryons based on their flavour representation.

What is the significance of SU(3) flavour symmetry in the Baryon singlet representation?

SU(3) flavour symmetry is a specific type of symmetry that is used in the Baryon singlet representation. It is a mathematical model that describes the relationships between different types of baryons based on their flavour. This symmetry is important because it allows for the classification and organization of baryons into distinct groups, making it easier to study and understand their properties.

How does the Baryon singlet representation contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Baryon singlet representation is an important component of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is the current best theory for understanding the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. By providing a way to classify and study baryons, the Baryon singlet representation helps to explain the behavior of these particles and their interactions with other particles, further contributing to our understanding of the Standard Model.