Invariant combination of SU(3) states

In summary: This is necessary because the Lagrangian must be gauge invariant under SU(3). The same reasoning applies to the SU(2) case with the Higgs field. In summary, the use of anti-symmetric tensors is necessary to obtain gauge invariant terms in the Lagrangian under SU(N) symmetries.
Luca_Mantani
Hi everyone,
this is something i know because i saw it many times, but i have never fully understand it. Suppose i have a quark field (singlet under SU(2) let's say) ##q## and i would like to build an invariant term to write in the Lagrangian. The obvious choice is to write a mass-term ##\bar{q}q##. This is both Lorentz invariant and SU(3) invariant, since

$$q'=Uq \\ \bar{q}'=\bar{q}U^\dagger$$

This is okay, but sometimes i encounter other terms, that involve 3 quarks and a lepton. I heuristically know that to make a color singlet you need a anti-symmetric combination of 3 quarks or 3 anti-quarks. So we can write a term like:

$$\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma}\bar{u}^c_\alpha \, u_\beta \, \bar{d}^c_\gamma \, e$$
where e is the electron field and c means that it is the charge conjugated field ##u^c=C(\bar{u})^T##. Why this term is gauge invariant under SU(3)? Why do we have to combine them like that to obtain an invariant, with the anti-symmetic tensor?

Also there is something else that i think it is related to this, but with SU(2). If i have an object L that is a doublet, i know that the invariant is something like ##L^\dagger L##. However, in the Standard Model for example, we have the Higgs field ##H## but we also need the field ##\tilde{H}_i=\epsilon_{ij}H^*_j## that is a field with opposite hypercharge. So for example, we can build the yukawa term

$$\bar{q} \, \tilde{H} \, u_R$$

and the first part is basically from an SU(2) point of view ##\bar{q}_i H^*_j \epsilon_{ij}## that looks exactly like the counterpart of the SU(3) singlet above.

So i guess, my question is: why can we build these kind of invariant terms in SU(N), basically taking the complex conjugated of a field and then contracting them with the anti-symmetric tensor?

If you also have some references that explain in detail why we can build such kind of terms in the Lagrangian it could be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Luca_Mantani said:
Why do we have to combine them like that to obtain an invariant, with the anti-symmetic tensor?
In general, the product of the SU(3) irreps under which the quarks transform can be decomposed into irreps. When you take the product of three fundamental SU(3) representations, the resulting representation contains a singlet representation which is the completely anti-symmetric product (there is only one way of taking the completely anti-symmetric product and so that representation is one-dimensional and must be the singlet representation).

1. What is an invariant combination of SU(3) states?

An invariant combination of SU(3) states is a combination of quark states that remains unchanged under the action of the special unitary group SU(3), which is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of the strong nuclear force in particle physics.

2. Why is it important to study invariant combinations of SU(3) states?

Studying invariant combinations of SU(3) states is important because it helps us understand the fundamental interactions of subatomic particles and their properties. This knowledge is crucial for developing theories and models in particle physics and for making predictions about the behavior of matter at the smallest scales.

3. How do scientists determine invariant combinations of SU(3) states?

Scientists determine invariant combinations of SU(3) states using mathematical techniques and equations based on the principles of symmetry and group theory. These calculations involve the use of matrices and operators to describe the transformations of quark states under the action of SU(3).

4. What are some examples of invariant combinations of SU(3) states?

Some examples of invariant combinations of SU(3) states include the proton and neutron, which are both made up of three quarks (two up and one down) that form an invariant combination under the symmetry of SU(3). Other examples include mesons, which are bound states of a quark and an antiquark, and baryons, which are composed of three quarks.

5. How do invariant combinations of SU(3) states impact our understanding of the universe?

Invariant combinations of SU(3) states play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, particularly in the study of subatomic particles and their interactions. By studying these combinations, scientists can better understand the underlying symmetries and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, providing insights into the origins and evolution of the cosmos.