SU(3) defining representation (3) decomposition under SU(2) x U(1) subgroup.

In summary: I think it might include some information on how to decompose a representation into irreducible representations.I'm sorry, I don't know of any good reading material on the subject.
Karatechop250
I have been reading Georgi "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" and on page 183 he mentions how that the SU(3) defining representation decomposes into an SU(2) doublet with hyperchage (1/3) and singlet with hypercharge (-2/3). I am confused on how he knows this. I apologize if this is not the right place to put such a question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with how to split a representation into irreducible representations?

Yes you decompose it into block diagonal form. Or another way you can do it is do tensor products of the fundamental rep and decompose it using young tableaux methods.

So, when you break SU(3), the defining representation of SU(3) is not an irreducible representation of SU(2)xU(1) but is naturally still a representation (just map any element in the subgroup to the element it would have been mapped to in the SU(3) defining representation). Decomposing this representation into irreducible representations should give you the desired result.

Hint: If it helps you think about it, pick a basis such that the SU(2) is generated by ##\lambda_1, \lambda_2, \lambda_3## and the U(1) by ##\lambda_8## (where ##\lambda_i## are Gell-Mann matrices).

Is there anyway you could go into a little more detail. And how did you know in the first place to pick such an SU(2)xU(1) basis. Also do you know of any good reading material besides Georgi's book which I could look at that would include this.

Well, if you are familiar with the Pauli matrices of SU(2), it is fairly straightforward to see that those four matrices will generate a subgroup which is SU(2)xU(1). The first three are just the Pauli matrices in the upper left block and the last is the only remaining generator which commutes with those as it is proportional to unity in this block.

Tinkham's book Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics seems fairly popular (although I must admit not having read it) and is published by Dover and so is available at a very reasonable price.

Related to SU(3) defining representation (3) decomposition under SU(2) x U(1) subgroup.

1. What is SU(3) defining representation (3)?

The SU(3) defining representation (3) refers to the fundamental representation of the special unitary group SU(3), which is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of a three-dimensional complex vector space. The (3) indicates that this representation has a dimension of three, meaning it can be represented by 3x3 matrices.

2. What does the decomposition under SU(2) x U(1) subgroup mean?

The decomposition under SU(2) x U(1) subgroup refers to breaking down the SU(3) defining representation (3) into smaller representations that correspond to the symmetries of the subgroup. In this case, the subgroup is a combination of the special unitary group SU(2) and the unitary group U(1).

3. How is the SU(3) defining representation (3) decomposed under SU(2) x U(1) subgroup?

The SU(3) defining representation (3) can be decomposed into a direct sum of three smaller representations under the SU(2) x U(1) subgroup. These are a singlet representation, a triplet representation, and an antitriplet representation.

4. What is the significance of the SU(2) x U(1) subgroup in this decomposition?

The SU(2) x U(1) subgroup represents the symmetries of the standard model of particle physics. By decomposing the SU(3) defining representation (3) under this subgroup, we can understand how the fundamental particles of the standard model transform under these symmetries, providing insight into their properties and interactions.

5. Can this decomposition be applied to other representations of SU(3)?

Yes, this decomposition can be applied to any representation of SU(3), not just the defining representation (3). By understanding how different representations decompose under the SU(2) x U(1) subgroup, we can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying symmetries and structure of the system being studied.