Barton Zwiebach's "A First Course in String Theory": Info & Review

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: After that he does relativistic electrodynamics, with a focus on Maxwells equations (another advanced topic). He doesn't go into things like spin or quantum field theory until a later chapter. I don't think that this book is an adequate preparation for students wanting to learn about string theory, in the same way that Polchinski's or GSW's books are.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I just got my brand new copy of Barton Zwiebach's A First Course in String Theory and it's sure different from Polchinski or GSW! Here's the info.

It's aimed at undergraduates; it was developed from a course given to MIT sophomores. Now you can assume that MIT sophs are better prepared than sophs at most other instituions, but still.. All he requires is "exposed to special relativity, basic quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, introductory statistical physics. Some familiarity with Lagrangian mechanics is useful but not indispensable." I think that many members of this forum could swing that.

His aim is to bring the students to the cutting edge as quickly and honestly as possible; this constrains him. He introduces and uses light-cone coordinates and quantization, and postpones covariant quantization till much later. He starts off with relativity in the L-C framework, pulls in multiple dimensions, and then goes into "manifestly relativistic electrodynamics". All this before the first string chapter.

He does bosonic strings, often motivating with a prior chapter on the corresponding point particle. His math is appropriate to his audience, he doesn't use anything deeper than basic multivariable calculus without introducing, motivating, and explaining it first. But be aware, he does go the true route and if you're not prepared to do the excercises you'll miss the value of the book.

Part 2 is developments. He does D-branes, string charge, string thermodynamics and black holes, T-duality, EM fields on D-branes, nonlinear electrodynamics, finally the covariant quantization, strings and Riemann surfaces, and loop amplitudes in string theory.

This is going to be not only a popular textbook, but a lifeline for autodidacts.

If you've got any questions about the book I'll try to answer them on this thread. Remember, though, I've just received the book, and haven't read it in depth.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I have envy. I possesses the two Polchinski's volumes, but this new for sure must incorporate the last developments

selfAdjoint said:
I just got my brand new copy of Barton Zwiebach's A First Course in String Theory and it's sure different from Polchinski or GSW! Here's the info.

It's aimed at undergraduates; it was developed from a course given to MIT sophomores. Now you can assume that MIT sophs are better prepared than sophs at most other instituions, but still.. All he requires is "exposed to special relativity, basic quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, introductory statistical physics. Some familiarity with Lagrangian mechanics is useful but not indispensable." I think that many members of this forum could swing that.

His aim is to bring the students to the cutting edge as quickly and honestly as possible; this constrains him. He introduces and uses light-cone coordinates and quantization, and postpones covariant quantization till much later. He starts off with relativity in the L-C framework, pulls in multiple dimensions, and then goes into "manifestly relativistic electrodynamics". All this before the first string chapter.

He does bosonic strings, often motivating with a prior chapter on the corresponding point particle. His math is appropriate to his audience, he doesn't use anything deeper than basic multivariable calculus without introducing, motivating, and explaining it first. But be aware, he does go the true route and if you're not prepared to do the excercises you'll miss the value of the book.

Part 2 is developments. He does D-branes, string charge, string thermodynamics and black holes, T-duality, EM fields on D-branes, nonlinear electrodynamics, finally the covariant quantization, strings and Riemann surfaces, and loop amplitudes in string theory.

This is going to be not only a popular textbook, but a lifeline for autodidacts.

If you've got any questions about the book I'll try to answer them on this thread. Remember, though, I've just received the book, and haven't read it in depth.

I just got the book too and I agree with every word of this. But based on my teaching (and learning) experience, I feel that the material presented in it will still prove too difficult for all but the best undergraduates. I think that just because string theory has become mainstream physics doesn't mean teaching it at the undergraduate level makes sense. I think that most undergrads will find that they have to keep too many balls in the air to understand what's actually going on. That's just my opinion.

If string theory ever gets experimental support, will students no longer be required to learn the non-stringy form of quantum mechanics? Or will learning that old-fashioned form of particle physics always be considered a prerequisite to learning string stuff, in the same way that students are still expected to learn Newtonian mechanics before moving on to quantum mechanics?

In Zwiebach's book, chapter two, the first "real"chapter, starts with relativity, introduces light cone coordinates (an advanced topic) then extra dimensions and orbifolds (another advanced topic, but done with very simple examples), then quantum mechanics and the one dimensional particle in a well. All this is aimed at developing math modeling and calculation skills rather than "teaching a subject". So string theory when it comes will all be underpinned by skills learned on relativity and quantum mechanics.

So string theory when it comes will all be underpinned by skills learned on relativity and quantum mechanics.-SelfAdjoint

You are probably dead right on that.

I have the book!
Although there are parts of it that seem chinese to me, i will try to absorbe the major part possible

Related to Barton Zwiebach's "A First Course in String Theory": Info & Review

1. What is "A First Course in String Theory" by Barton Zwiebach all about?

"A First Course in String Theory" is a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of string theory, a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all forces of nature, including gravity. The book covers topics such as classical and quantum mechanics, relativity, and modern particle physics, and provides a solid foundation for further exploration of string theory.

2. Who is Barton Zwiebach and why is he qualified to write about string theory?

Barton Zwiebach is a renowned physicist and professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is an expert in string theory and has made significant contributions to the field. He is also a recipient of numerous awards and honors for his research and teaching, making him highly qualified to write about string theory.

3. Is "A First Course in String Theory" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "A First Course in String Theory" is written for undergraduate and graduate students with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. The book starts with an overview of classical mechanics and gradually introduces more advanced concepts, making it accessible to beginners.

4. What sets "A First Course in String Theory" apart from other books on the subject?

One of the main strengths of "A First Course in String Theory" is its clear and concise presentation of complex concepts. The book also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers better understand the material. Additionally, it covers a wide range of topics, from the basics of string theory to advanced topics like black holes and cosmology.

5. Can "A First Course in String Theory" be used as a reference book?

Yes, "A First Course in String Theory" can be used as a reference book for those already familiar with the basics of string theory. The book is well-organized, with a comprehensive index and a summary of key equations at the end of each chapter, making it a useful resource for students and researchers alike.