Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach?

In summary, the conversation is about the book "A First Course in String Theory" by Barton Zwiebach and whether it is a good starting point for studying string theory. The person asking has a background in GR, Schrodinger QM, classical mechanics, and EM, but lacks knowledge in Heisenberg QM, QFT, and group theory. The other person recommends Zwiebach's book and states that a good understanding of basic quantum, special relativity, and tensor calculus is enough for the book's prerequisites. They also mention that Zwiebach covers the connection between the two pictures and that knowledge of nonlinear GR is not necessary.
AuraCrystal
Hello,

I was thinking of eventually studying some string theory and I came across Barton Zwiebach's book on the subject. Would this be a good place to start? I know some GR at the level of Schutz/Hartle, Schrodinger QM at the level of Griffiths, Classical Mechanics at the level of Marion & Thornton, and EM.

However, I don't know any Heisenberg QM, QFT, or Group Theory. Would this be a problem in getting through Zwiebach's book? If so, can anyone recommend some books on the subjects I have listed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Auracrystal,

I was in a similar situation as you. I knew quantum on the level of griffiths, EM with griffiths and some basic mechanics (I used fowles, random book don't ask).

You don't really need GR beyond knowing the linearized form of Einsteins equations and you probably have enough background. You're level of GR is probably more than enough.

I didn't have any background in the Heisenberg picture beyond what I read in Sakurai and really no background in QFT. Group theory won't really be necessary either except for maybe the chapter on particle physics. Overall the prerequisites are kept to a minimal. Zwiebach goes over the connection between the two pictures. You just need a good background in basic quantum, special relativity and tensor calculus.

Thanks for the advice!

Does Zwiebach's book explain string theory's derivation of nonlinear GR?

Related to Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach?

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity by describing the fundamental building blocks of the universe as tiny, vibrating strings rather than point-like particles.

2. Who is the author of "Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach"?

The author of "Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach" is Barton Zwiebach, a professor of physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

3. Is "Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach" is designed to be accessible for readers with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. It provides a gentle introduction to the complex concepts of string theory.

4. What makes "Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach" unique compared to other books on string theory?

One unique aspect of "Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach" is that it uses a geometric approach, rather than the more common algebraic approach, to teach string theory. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of the subject.

5. Is "Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach" only focused on string theory?

No, in addition to covering the principles of string theory, "Book on String Theory: Start w/ Zwiebach" also explores related topics such as supersymmetry, extra dimensions, and the search for a unified theory of physics.