BA in Physics, want to go to Grad school. Suggestions?

In summary, if you have a decent GPA but no coursework in Chemistry or advanced Computer Science, the Physics GRE may be daunting. However, if you have taken classical physics, astrophysics, classical mechanics, mechanics of materials, statics, quantum mechanics, advanced lab, and modern physics, you may be able to score well on the GRE. However, if you want to continue your physics education, you will need to take E&M and quantum mechanics courses.
speral01
I have a decent GPA (3.6) but have taken no classes in Chemistry and advanced Computer Science (can only code python!). The Physics GRE is incredibly intimidating to me and many topics that it covers are not offered at the liberal arts college I attended. I predict a receiving a poor score and am overwhelmed by the possibility that good grades and a passion for Physics is not enough to be accepted let alone succeed in graduate school. Should I try to get a BS first? Any thoughts/advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
We'll need more information to formulate good advice. What's your course background? What physics courses have you had, which important topics have you skipped?

How about your Math background? What math courses have you taken? This is more important than your Chemistry background.

I've taken classical physics, astrophysics, classical mechanics, mechanics of materials, statics, quantum mechanics, advanced lab, and modern physics. As for math I have taken calculus, linear algebra, discrete structures, multivariable calculus, ordinary differential equations, and abstract algebra.

The GRE is not a particularly exhaustive exam in terms of material- you took no thermodynamics or statistical mechanics classes in your undergraduate career? What topics on the GRE were not covered? If you want to advance in physics you're going to have to take the GRE.

speral01 said:
I've taken classical physics, astrophysics, classical mechanics, mechanics of materials, statics, quantum mechanics, advanced lab, and modern physics.

No E&M or thermodynamics / statistical mechanics beyond the freshman level?

No, unfortunately. I don't mind taking the GRE but it definitely makes me feel stupid. E&M and statistical mechanics are the main sections that I am deficient in for the GRE. Should I go for a BS before going to grad school?

Last edited:
Gosh... I've never even heard of a legitimate physics degree program that doesn't have E&M as a required course.

We could choose two of the following three: E&M, Classical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics. This was at a small liberal arts college, I'm not sure if that's relevant though.

Degree requirements like this are sometimes seen at small schools where the physics program is in effect mainly a pre-engineering program and most students go on to graduate school in engineering rather than in physics.

If a student at such a school makes it known to the faculty that he plans to go to graduate school in physics, they should strongly advise him to go beyond the minimum requirements for the degree and take the full set of core subjects: classical mechanics, E&M, QM and thermo/stat mech.

When I was an undergraduate at a small college many years ago, I hardly even looked at the requirements for the physics major. I simply took every physics course that they offered!

speral01 said:
We could choose two of the following three: E&M, Classical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics. This was at a small liberal arts college, I'm not sure if that's relevant though.

Can you take E&M at the college you're attending now? I wouldn't recommend taking the GRE without a thorough knowledge of it.

fss said:
Gosh... I've never even heard of a legitimate physics degree program that doesn't have E&M as a required course.

I didn't think it was possible for a program to get accredited without at least offering classical mechanics and basic E&M?

E&m is offered as is Classical Mechanics at my school, that is not the issue. The problem is that I am about to graduate and don't have time to go take E&M before I take the GRE because I want to apply to grad schools soon so I can attend one next fall, assuming I am even accepted. From the posts so far it seems that I should get a BS somewhere or at least take an E&M course before taking the GRE or else I am setting myself up for failure. If I do take the GRE now and do poorly can't I retake it later or would it be better to just wait and take it when I am better prepared, (which would require putting off applying to grad schools for another year).

Last edited:
Is it possible to postpone graduation for a year, so as to fill in the gaps in your coursework? Maybe even just one extra semester would be enough, depending on when your college offers those courses. Then you could take the GRE next fall and apply for grad school admission in fall 2012.

Another possibility is that if you get good recommendation letters from your professors that specifically address your coursework deficiency and say that they're sure you won't have any trouble making it up, you can probably get into grad school somewhere under the condition that you take their undergraduate E&M and thermo courses before proceeding to the corresponding graduate level courses. This probably wouldn't work for a top-level grad school, but maybe for a mid-level one like a lot of the bigger state universities.

I also went to a small liberal arts college as an undergraduate many years ago. When I got into Michigan for grad school, they had me take the senior-level math methods course during my first semester.

Considering that I am about the take the Physics Subject GRE November 13, knowing that I am in no way prepared currently to get a good score, would it make sense to cancel that and take it next fall? By that I mean will one bad score (I am predicting really bad) destroy my chances to get into a well respected research university (I am realistically hoping for a mid-level state school) and even if I were to take it again would that bad score haunt me regardless of any improvement made on the second attempt? I know Physics is what I want to do for the rest of my life and I would love to be a researcher or professor someday and the thought that this test could ruin that dream after all of my hard work makes me inclined to spend much more time studying for it than I have thus far. Taking a year off (while taking minimal classes, work, etc.) could afford me that previously unattainable luxury and I am now seriously contemplating that option. Any thoughts?

speral01 said:
Considering that I am about the take the Physics Subject GRE November 13, knowing that I am in no way prepared currently to get a good score, would it make sense to cancel that and take it next fall? By that I mean will one bad score (I am predicting really bad) destroy my chances to get into a well respected research university (I am realistically hoping for a mid-level state school) and even if I were to take it again would that bad score haunt me regardless of any improvement made on the second attempt? I know Physics is what I want to do for the rest of my life and I would love to be a researcher or professor someday and the thought that this test could ruin that dream after all of my hard work makes me inclined to spend much more time studying for it than I have thus far. Taking a year off (while taking minimal classes, work, etc.) could afford me that previously unattainable luxury and I am now seriously contemplating that option. Any thoughts?

Honestly, I don't know if a bad score would hurt your chances -- but how can it help? There is no award for 'most improved'. I'd advise you to wait. I know it's hard to wait, you sound very enthusiastic. But by rushing and taking this test before you're ready, you may end up hurting your chances to achieve your goals.

Related to BA in Physics, want to go to Grad school. Suggestions?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a BA in Physics before going to grad school?

Obtaining a BA in Physics provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and theories of physics. This will be crucial for success in a graduate program, as it will allow you to build upon your knowledge and further develop your research and analytical skills.

2. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into a graduate program?

To increase your chances of being accepted into a graduate program, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant research experience, and strong letters of recommendation. It is also beneficial to have a clear and well-defined research interest or area of specialization.

3. Are there any specific courses or experiences that I should focus on during my undergraduate studies?

While there is no specific set of courses or experiences required for admission to a graduate program in physics, it is recommended to take courses in advanced mathematics, as well as experimental and theoretical physics. Additionally, gaining research experience through internships, independent studies, or working in a physics lab can greatly enhance your application.

4. Should I pursue a thesis or non-thesis track for my BA in Physics?

The decision between a thesis or non-thesis track will depend on your ultimate career goals. If you are considering pursuing a PhD or a career in research, a thesis track may be more beneficial as it will provide you with hands-on research experience and the opportunity to publish your work. However, if you are interested in other career paths, a non-thesis track may be more suitable as it will allow you to take a wider range of courses and gain a broader understanding of the field.

5. How can I find the right graduate program for me?

To find the right graduate program, it is important to research different universities and their programs, consider the faculty and their research interests, and reach out to current graduate students for their insights. It is also beneficial to attend graduate school fairs and open houses to get a better understanding of the program and its requirements.