Azimuthal Symmetry: Difference Between and Cylindrical Symmetry

• Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetry
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of azimuthal symmetry in relation to cylindrical symmetry and whether there is a difference between the two. The speaker also questions if a cylinder can have azimuthal symmetry and mentions that they have seen the terms azimuthal symmetry, cylindrical symmetry, and axial symmetry used interchangeably. The speaker also provides a definition of azimuthal symmetry as rotational symmetry about the z-axis.
Telemachus
Hi there. I have this simple conceptual question, I'm studing electrostatics, and the book speaks about azimuthal symmetry. The doubt I have is, what's the difference between azimuthal symmetry and cylindrical symmetry? I mean there is any difference between those symmetries? it looks like the same kind of symmetry to me, I can't distinguish between both, but as the books are refeered to azimuthal symmetry the thing bothers my a little bit.

I'm not sure this is the right place for posting this, if its not, please just move it to the propper section.

Bye, thanks for posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe azimuthal symmetry means: rotational symmetry about the z-axis.

http://www.phys.ksu.edu/personal/wysin/ED-I/notes/chap3b.html

But that's all I know.

I would think that if you had a cylinder pointing straight up so that the z-axis goes through the center then yes by definition the cylinder would have azimuthal symmetry too, please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

The way I've seen these terms used, these all mean pretty much the same thing:

azimuthal symmetry, cylindrical symmetry, axial symmetry .

That is, a quantity having this type of symmetry has no dependence on direction perpendicular to that axis.

Thanks.

Related to Azimuthal Symmetry: Difference Between and Cylindrical Symmetry

1. What is azimuthal symmetry?

Azimuthal symmetry refers to a type of symmetry found in three-dimensional objects, where the object appears the same when rotated around a central axis. In other words, no matter how the object is rotated, it maintains the same appearance. This type of symmetry is also known as rotational symmetry.

2. What is the difference between azimuthal symmetry and cylindrical symmetry?

The main difference between azimuthal symmetry and cylindrical symmetry is that cylindrical symmetry only applies to objects that have a circular or cylindrical shape. Cylindrical symmetry means that the object can be rotated around its axis and still maintain the same appearance, but it does not necessarily have to have rotational symmetry in all directions.

3. Are there any real-life examples of azimuthal symmetry?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of azimuthal symmetry. Some common examples include a wheel, a clock face, and a basketball. These objects all have a circular shape and maintain the same appearance when rotated around their central axis.

4. How is azimuthal symmetry important in science?

Azimuthal symmetry is important in science because it allows us to describe and understand the properties and behavior of objects. It is particularly useful in the fields of physics and chemistry, where it helps us to analyze and model the behavior of molecules and other structures.

5. Can an object have both azimuthal and cylindrical symmetry?

Yes, an object can have both azimuthal and cylindrical symmetry. For example, a cylinder has cylindrical symmetry because it can be rotated around its axis and maintain the same appearance. However, a cylinder also has azimuthal symmetry because it can be rotated in any direction and still maintain its cylindrical shape.