Symmetry violation in the early universe - a book

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for information on symmetry violation in the early universe, specifically in regards to C, P, and T symmetries. The person is a Physics undergraduate seeking a basic understanding and asks for help or direction. It is suggested to look into CP violation and the standard model, as well as baryogenesis or leptogenesis for further explanation. Book recommendations are not available, but there are many papers on arxiv.org.
MrNeu
Hi there,

I've done some searching around on the forums and in the library, but I haven't found what I was looking for - some information of symmetry violation in the early universe. I know some small pieces of information but I'm currently trying to consolidate that so that I have an actual understanding (even if basic) of the theories behind C, P and T symmetry violation in the early universe. I've been so far unable to find any book that particularly addresses the issue and so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light or point me in the right direction?

By "early universe", I simply mean at the times when these asymmetries were first theorized to occur.

I'm currently a Physics undergraduate (between my first and second year), which I mention just so anyone reading this knows what kind of level I'm at - so if I'm way above my head here, then please let me know!

Thanks for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, it is easiest to understand what the three different symmetries.

Then try to understand some simple examples of violation of combinations of the symmetries.

Example, search for cp violation and the standard model. This is experimentally well measured.

Now, I think you are worried about why we are in a matter dominated universe. In which case we have to search outside of the standard model to explain this. Some of these are quite complicated, but you may want to search for some articles on;
Baryogenesis or leptogenesis

I don't have book recommendations for these last ones unfortunately. But there are many papers on arxiv.org

Related to Symmetry violation in the early universe - a book

1. What is the main concept behind symmetry violation in the early universe?

The main concept behind symmetry violation in the early universe is that the universe was initially in a state of perfect symmetry, but as it expanded and cooled, this symmetry was broken, leading to the formation of different particles and forces.

2. How does symmetry violation play a role in the formation of the universe?

Symmetry violation is crucial in the formation of the universe as it allows for the creation of the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. Without symmetry violation, the early universe would have remained in a state of perfect symmetry and no particles or forces would have been able to form.

3. What evidence do we have for symmetry violation in the early universe?

There is strong evidence for symmetry violation in the early universe from various experiments and observations, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson and the asymmetry in the amount of matter and antimatter in the universe. Additionally, theories such as the Standard Model and Inflation also support the concept of symmetry violation.

4. How does symmetry violation impact our understanding of the universe?

Symmetry violation is a crucial concept in our understanding of the universe as it helps explain the origins of the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It also plays a role in theories such as the Big Bang and Inflation, which help us understand the early stages of the universe's formation.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying symmetry violation in the early universe?

While the study of symmetry violation in the early universe may seem abstract, it has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and cosmology. Understanding symmetry violation can also help us develop new technologies and theories that could have real-world applications in the future.