Forum section for specific books

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, a website dedicated to discussing specific math and science books, with organized threads based on book title, author, edition, chapter, and page number, could potentially become popular. However, implementing this idea may be challenging due to the limitations of forum software and the need for active participation from the textbook authors and readers. The success of such a website would depend on its ability to attract a niche audience of people interested in a particular book, such as students, teachers, or those who have studied the book in the past.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I think a website to discuss specific math and science books would eventually become popular if it was organized properly. (I'm talking about detailed discussions of a book's contents, not the general type of discussions in the forum section on Science and Math Textbooks.) Judging from forum posts, people often pick a particular book and work there way through it. Math and physics posts to Physicsforum often reference particular pages in a text. The convenient format would be to have the threads organized by book title, author, edition, chapter, and page number.

Perhaps no forum software can currently implement this, so my suggestion is for "the world", not particularly for Physicsforums. If a forum merely offered a section to discuss specific books then a chaotic collection of threads would develop. One thread to discuss a single book would get too long. If it was left to the posters to title or tag their threads by title, author, edition,...etc. then variations in spelling and punctuation would cause disorder. Putting the burden of oganizing threads on staff might be too labor intensive.

One idea is to only let staff create the section for a given book and, within the section, give "other interested parties" the (limited) ability to organized the threads within the section. Like on the "Wikipedia", there could be problems of defacement so old versions of the sections would have to be saved. The thought of having one wiki to discuss each book also comes to mind. The problem with that idea is that a convenient interface for posting messages is missing. One can post commnets in the "Discussion" page for a Wikipedia article, but the interface doesn't enforce much organization on those pages.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem with having a section for each book is that not enough people will open the section to check out the new posts. But apart from that issue, I like the idea. It would be especially great if the textbook author is willing to participate, or if people who are teaching courses based on the book would use it to answer questions from their students.

A section about a particular book probably wouldn't be an immediate hit on the web, but I think that traffic would build up gradually as the section showed up in links on Google and other search engines. I don't see any competition for this type of website, so the first one to do it well could become dominant.

People working through a book or teaching from it would have as much interest in reading old posts as new ones. I agree that a general forum audience would neglect sections containing only old posts. So the "market" for such a website is mostly the population of people who have an interest in a particular book - those who are studying it, or teaching it, or who once studied it and are interested in commenting on it.

You've noted the problem with using forum software, but still, our specific textbook threads are fairly inactive :(

Greg Bernhardt said:
You've noted the problem with using forum software, but still, our specific textbook threads are fairly inactive :(

I've never noticed there were such threads!

Related to Forum section for specific books

1. What is the purpose of a forum section for specific books?

The purpose of a forum section for specific books is to provide a space for readers to discuss and share their thoughts, questions, and opinions about a particular book. It allows for a community of readers to connect and engage with each other in meaningful discussions about the book.

2. How do I find the forum section for a specific book?

To find the forum section for a specific book, you can search for the book title or author in the search bar of the forum website. You can also navigate to the forum section for a specific book by clicking on the book's title or cover image in the forum's library or book club section.

3. Can I post spoilers in the forum section for specific books?

It is generally considered good forum etiquette to avoid posting spoilers in the forum section for specific books. However, if a forum specifically allows for spoiler discussions, make sure to clearly mark your post as containing spoilers and use spoiler tags to hide the information until the reader chooses to reveal it.

4. Is there a moderator for the forum section for specific books?

Yes, most forum sections for specific books will have a designated moderator or moderators who oversee the discussions and ensure that the forum rules are being followed. If you have any concerns or issues, you can reach out to the moderator for assistance.

5. Can I start a new discussion thread in the forum section for specific books?

Yes, you can start a new discussion thread in the forum section for specific books. Before creating a new thread, make sure to check if there is already a discussion thread for the topic you want to discuss. If not, you can click on the "New Thread" button and provide a clear and descriptive title for your discussion.