Average path length through a box

In summary: It would need the probability to be uniform, but the probability of an angle being between θ and θ+dθ is not. It's sec2(θ)dθ.
jamie.j1989
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hi, I would like to try and calculate the average distance traveled through a box of length ##w## by any straight path possible. As shown in the attached figure. Where the path through the box to an adjacent face is given by

$$r_{adj}^2=\left(\frac{w}{2}-x\right)^2+y^2+z^2.$$

intersection box.png

The average distance traveled through the intersection can be found by integrating over the three spatial dimensions ##x,y,## and ##z##, in the following way,$$\left<r_{adj}\right>=\frac{1}{N_xN_yN_z}\sum^{N_x,N_y,N_z}_{i,j,k}\sqrt{\left(\frac{w}{2}-x_i\right)^2+y_j^2+z_k^2}$$Where ##N_x=\frac{w}{\delta x},N_y=\frac{w}{\delta y},N_z=\frac{w}{\delta z}##, the small change in displacement along ##x## is ##\delta x=x_{i}-x_{i-1}##, and likewise for ##\delta y## and ##\delta z##. And as ##N_x,N_y,N_z\rightarrow \infty##, the summation turns into the integration,

$$\left<r_{adj}\right>=\frac{1}{w^3}\int^{\frac{w}{2}}_{-\frac{w}{2}}dx\int^{w}_{0}dy\int^{\frac{w}{2}}_{-\frac{w}{2}}dz\sqrt{\left(\frac{w}{2}-x\right)^2+y^2+z^2}.$$

So this then gives us the average distance through the box traveled between one adjacent face and the other. All other similar paths with adjacent faces will add and average to the same value.

Then we need to consider paths to opposite faces through the box, where the second figure attached shows the path taken, and where the distance traveled is,

$$r_{opp} =\sqrt{\left(\frac{w}{2}-x\right)^2+w^2+\left(\frac{w}{2}-z\right)^2}$$

Beam Intersection 2.png

And so we can average like before to get,

$$\left<r_{opp}\right> = \frac{1}{w^2}\int^{\frac{w}{2}}_{-\frac{w}{2}}dx\int^{\frac{w}{2}}_{-\frac{w}{2}}dz\sqrt{\left(\frac{w}{2}-x\right)^2+w^2+\left(\frac{w}{2}-z\right)^2}$$

Where all other paths originating from all other faces and going to their respective opposite faces will just average to the same again. And now the total average is just

$$\left<r\right>=\frac{\left<r_{opp}\right>+\left<r_{adj}\right>}{2}$$

I'm not really sure if this is right, and apart from writing a simulation to compute and average over many possible path lengths I'm not sure how to check it either?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have thought the idea was to have all directions equally likely, so long as they go through the box.
Using Cartesian coordinates related to the exit points will not achieve that. It will make the oblique angles more common than is fair.
Also, I'm not quite sure what range of entry points is to be considered. The diagram implies it is always through the centre of one end of the box. Is that right?

Likes BvU
Hi guys,
The situation described reminded me of the view factor in radiative heat transfer. Page 9 http://www.kostic.niu.edu/352/_352-posted/Heat_4e_Chap13-Radiation_HT_lecture-PDF.pdf demonstrates how hideous the resulting expressions are. I expect something equally labyrinthic for the average path lengths ! Things simplify considerably if the single entry point is the center of one of the faces, but an elegant, simple expression is too much to hope for is my humble guess.

First you have to define what you want to average over. Over the possible exit area, over the solid angle, over something else?

Is your initial entry point fixed?

mfb said:
First you have to define what you want to average over. Over the possible exit area, over the solid angle, over something else?

Is your initial entry point fixed?

The average is over the distance of the path traveled through the box in a straight line. The entry point isn't fixed, now that the fixed entry point has been mentioned I realize that this isn't correct. I would need 6 degrees of freedom to explain all the possible entry and exit points?

haruspex said:
I would have thought the idea was to have all directions equally likely, so long as they go through the box.
Using Cartesian coordinates related to the exit points will not achieve that. It will make the oblique angles more common than is fair.
Also, I'm not quite sure what range of entry points is to be considered. The diagram implies it is always through the centre of one end of the box. Is that right?

I'm not sure I understand, why would the oblique angles be more common?

jamie.j1989 said:
I'm not sure I understand, why would the oblique angles be more common?
It might be clearer to start with two dimensions.
Consider straight lines through the origin traversing the unit square in the first quadrant.
By symmetry, only need to consider those passing below (1,1).
If we take the y intercept at x=1 as being uniformly distributed, the probability of the intercept being between y and y+dy is dy. If the angle to the horizontal is θ, the probability of the angle being between θ and θ+dθ is sec2(θ)dθ.
If you want all angles equally likely, you need the probability to be (4/π)dθ.

jamie.j1989 said:
The average is over the distance of the path traveled through the box in a straight line.
That is what you average, it is not what you average over.

As an example, consider a die which has faces "1", "1", "4", "4", "4", "4". What is the average? You can average over the result of many rolls: 3. But you can also average over the possible results (1 and 4): 2.5. This example might look a bit constructed, but you have exactly this problem with your cube: It is unclear how to weight the different possible results relative to each other. By surface area is a possibility, but not the only one, and it looks quite odd.

haruspex said:
f the angle to the horizontal is θ, the probability of the angle being between θ and θ+dθ is sec2(θ)dθ.
If you want all angles equally likely, you need the probability to be (4/π)dθ.

I understand why the probability of the that the line goes through a point y+dy is dy as dy as a fraction of the entire length of the unit square is just dy/1=dy. But surely the probability of it going through the corresponding angle θ+dθ to go through a point on the x=1 vertical line is, from y=tanθ, cos2(θ)dy? Which would give more favourable oblique paths.

jamie.j1989 said:
I understand why the probability of the that the line goes through a point y+dy is dy as dy as a fraction of the entire length of the unit square is just dy/1=dy. But surely the probability of it going through the corresponding angle θ+dθ to go through a point on the x=1 vertical line is, from y=tanθ, cos2(θ)dy? Which would give more favourable oblique paths.
Consider dividing the (1,0) to (1,1) line into tengths of 0.1. With your scheme each of those has equal probability. Out towards the (1,1) end, the lines from the origin get bunched closer together, spreading the same 0.1 probability over progressively narrower ranges of angles. Thus the probability density of a given angle increases. sec increases, cos decreases.
Algebraically, y=tanθ, dy =sec2(θ)dθ. The probability that the line hits between y and y+dy is dy, so the probability that the angle is between θ=atan(y) and θ+dθ=atan(y+dy) is sec2(θ)dθ.

mfb said:
That is what you average, it is not what you average over.

As an example, consider a die which has faces "1", "1", "4", "4", "4", "4". What is the average? You can average over the result of many rolls: 3. But you can also average over the possible results (1 and 4): 2.5. This example might look a bit constructed, but you have exactly this problem with your cube: It is unclear how to weight the different possible results relative to each other. By surface area is a possibility, but not the only one, and it looks quite odd.

I think i understand, I want to average over all possible paths regardless of degeneracy. So is my approach possible or would a change of method by surface area be easier?

haruspex said:
Consider dividing the (1,0) to (1,1) line into tengths of 0.1. With your scheme each of those has equal probability. Out towards the (1,1) end, the lines from the origin get bunched closer together, spreading the same 0.1 probability over progressively narrower ranges of angles. Thus the probability density of a given angle increases. sec increases, cos decreases.
Algebraically, y=tanθ, dy =sec2(θ)dθ. The probability that the line hits between y and y+dy is dy, so the probability that the angle is between θ=atan(y) and θ+dθ=atan(y+dy) is sec2(θ)dθ.

I don't see how that's the probability for a particular angle, it's equal to dy=sec2(θ)dθ which is the probability that the path goes through a point between y and dy, which also isn't constant as was first suggested?

For your box, you don't have degeneracy, you have a continuous problem. It is up to you to determine what you want to average over.

Where does the original problem come from?

jamie.j1989 said:
I don't see how that's the probability for a particular angle, it's equal to dy=sec2(θ)dθ which is the probability that the path goes through a point between y and dy, which also isn't constant as was first suggested?
Not sure what you are saying. Your initial approach was as though the probability of passing between y and y+dy was proportional to dy. If all directions are to be considered equally likely, you need it to be proportional to dθ. Clearly these are not the same.

mfb said:
For your box, you don't have degeneracy, you have a continuous problem. It is up to you to determine what you want to average over.

Where does the original problem come from?

I just want to average over all possible paths through the box, Its something I thought of and wanted to try and solve. So am I right in saying that my current method is only averaging over all possible paths from a fixed entry point? And I'm being biased with oblique angles as pointed out by haruspex due to using cartesian coordinates?

jamie.j1989 said:
So am I right in saying that my current method is only averaging over all possible paths from a fixed entry point? And I'm being biased with oblique angles as pointed out by haruspex due to using cartesian coordinates?
Yes to both.

Related to Average path length through a box

1. What is the average path length through a box?

The average path length through a box is the average distance a particle or object will travel from one side of the box to the opposite side. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle or object could take.

2. How is the average path length through a box calculated?

The average path length through a box is calculated by taking the sum of all possible path lengths and dividing it by the total number of paths. This calculation can be simplified for certain types of boxes, such as rectangular or cube-shaped boxes.

3. What factors can affect the average path length through a box?

The size and shape of the box, as well as the starting and ending points, can all affect the average path length through a box. The presence of obstacles or barriers within the box can also impact the average path length.

4. How is the average path length through a box useful in scientific research?

The average path length through a box is a useful metric in studying the behavior of particles or objects within a confined space. It can help scientists understand the movement of molecules in a gas or the flow of fluids through a container.

5. Is the average path length through a box always the same for all particles or objects?

No, the average path length through a box can vary depending on the starting and ending points, as well as the size and shape of the box. Additionally, the behavior of particles or objects can also affect the average path length.