Avatar Setting on Physics Forums: Who Can and Can't Have Them?

• Thread starter Harmony
  • Start date
In summary, Physics forums allows for members to have avatars as a perk for either upgrading their membership or being awarded science advisor or homework helper status. This is a way to thank members for their contributions to the site, either through monetary support or consistently high quality posts.
Harmony
Physics forums has always been my favorite forum, and I have been a member for more than a year.

I noticed that some members have avatars while the others not. May I know what types of members may have avatars, and who can't?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need a membership upgrade.

We will also slap you with a fish as part of the welcome ritual, but that's free. :biggrin: I think avatars are also granted as a perk to homework helpers and science advisors.

Math Is Hard said:
You just need a membership upgrade.

We will also slap you with a fish as part of the welcome ritual, but that's free. :biggrin: I think avatars are also granted as a perk to homework helpers and science advisors.

That is correct. Basically, it's for members who make a contribution (donation) to the site through upgraded membership. We decided a while back that those who contribute a lot of time and effort into being helpful here (i.e., those we've awarded science advisor and homework helper status) would be given avatars and signatures as a perk to thank them for their contribution in time and effort rather than money. So, you can either get an avatar by upgrading your membership, which helps keep the site running, or by being very helpful and posting consistently high quality information or homework help, which also helps keep the site running. :smile:

Note that, when becoming a PF contributor, you can set up your own avatar, while when you're a SA or HH you can only select one from a list of avatars.

Related to Avatar Setting on Physics Forums: Who Can and Can't Have Them?

What is an "Avatar Setting" on Physics Forums?

An "Avatar Setting" on Physics Forums refers to the ability for users to customize their profile picture or avatar. This can be done by uploading an image or choosing one from a pre-existing selection.

Who can have an Avatar Setting on Physics Forums?

Any user who has registered for an account on Physics Forums can have an Avatar Setting. This includes both free and premium members.

Why do some users not have the option for an Avatar Setting on Physics Forums?

Some users may not have the option for an Avatar Setting because they have not yet completed their profile information or have not been active on the forum for a certain period of time. Additionally, some users may have their Avatar Setting privileges revoked due to violating forum rules.

Can I upload any image as my Avatar on Physics Forums?

No, there are guidelines for the type of images that can be used as Avatars on Physics Forums. Images must be appropriate and not violate any copyright or intellectual property laws. Additionally, avatars should not contain any offensive or inappropriate content.

How do I change my Avatar on Physics Forums?

To change your Avatar on Physics Forums, go to your profile settings and click on the "Change Avatar" button. You can then choose to upload a new image or select one from the pre-existing options.