Atwood Machine, deriving equation for acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with understanding Atwood Machines and needing guidance. The student is trying to solve a problem with two sub-exercises and is using the equations F=ma and conservation of string. They are unsure if they are overthinking the problem and are asking for help. The conversation also includes equations that the student is unsure about and is asking for clarification.
mmoe

Homework Statement

I still don't got the hang on Atwood Machines, and i don't know if I am wrong here or just overthinking it. But i got this one exercise where i am kind of stuck in two of the sub-exercises. So I am hoping there is someone here who could guide me in the right direction.Atwood Machine ( http://imgur.com/Dzvt4HR ), with massless strings and pulleys and no friction.

Let the acceleration of the top mass be a1 and the acceleration for the bottom two a2 and a3. Let the movable pulleys have the acceleration atr.

a) Show that atr = (a2 + a3)/2

b) find the masses' acceleration

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I can see that if i move the top mass a distance y, conservation of string tells me that the movable pulleys will move 1/2y.

ym1 = 1/2*ym2
ym1 = 1/2*y2m
ym2 = y2m

Hence ym1 = (ym2 + y2m)/2

Two time derivatives gives a1 = (a2 + a3)/2 = atr

It gives the right answer, but i got a feeling that I've done something that should be quite obvious wrong. b) I find the F=ma for each mass

T-mg = ma1 (1)
T-mg = ma2 (2)
t-2mg = ma3 (3)
i also got these equations from the conservation of string:
a1=1/2a2 (4) && a1=1/2a3 (5) && a2=a3 (6)

Combining (4) and (5) with equations (1),(2) & (3), should give me a1,a2,a3 and T.

The thing is, i really don't know where to start here. Since a2 = a3, you only have to solve for a1 and a2 (correct me if I am wrong). But how would i go forward solving (1) and (2) with (4). I don't know if I am overthinking this way to much or if i have done something wrong, so i come to you kindly asking for directions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand some of your equations. What is ##y_{m1}=\frac 12 y_{m2}## saying? Are these positions or velocities or accelerations? Why would it be true?

Related to Atwood Machine, deriving equation for acceleration

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate basic principles of mechanics, such as acceleration and Newton's laws of motion.

2. How do you derive the equation for acceleration in an Atwood Machine?

The equation for acceleration in an Atwood Machine can be derived using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By considering the forces acting on the two masses in the Atwood Machine, we can set up and solve equations to determine the acceleration.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the equation for acceleration in an Atwood Machine?

The main assumptions made are that the pulley and string are massless and frictionless, and that the masses are point masses with no size or shape. These assumptions allow for simplification of the equations and make the calculations more straightforward.

4. Can the equation for acceleration in an Atwood Machine be used for any combination of masses?

Yes, the equation for acceleration in an Atwood Machine (a = (m1-m2)g / (m1+m2)) is valid for any combination of masses, as long as the assumptions mentioned above hold true. It is a general equation that can be applied to various scenarios, such as unequal masses or multiple masses on each side.

5. How is an Atwood Machine used in real-world applications?

An Atwood Machine is a simple and efficient way to demonstrate principles of mechanics, so it is commonly used in physics classrooms. It can also be used in engineering applications to test the properties of different materials, such as ropes or pulleys, or to study the effects of gravity on objects with varying masses.