Atom distance and repulsive energy

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker struggling with studying for an upcoming exam in a class they did not understand. They found an equation for potential energy involving q and ε0 and used it to calculate the distance of separation at minimum energy. They also mention a book that talks about repulsive energy and ask for help finding the distance of equilibrium.
Anghelita
I'm had this class yesterday that I did'nt understand anything, I have exam on two days and I started to study by myself about potential energy so, I found this equation:

Ue(r) = q1 q2/4πε0r + repulsive energy (same as van der Waals)

where q1 = -q2 and each q = + or - 1.6E-19 C
and ε0 = permittivity of free space = 8.854E-12 C^2/J m. (C = coulomb)

I did the following calculation for measure the distance of separation at the minimun energy
Ue(r)=(1.6E-19 C)(-1.6E-19 C)/4*3.1416* 8.854E-12 C^2/J m
=1.95738 Jm

So, I am wondering what would be the repulsive energy that the book mention and how could I find the distance of equilibrium?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From your post, it is not clear exactly what problem you are trying to solve, but in general:

(a) You need an explicit expression for the potential energy in terms of the internuclear distances or lattice constant in your problem;
(b) You then find the configuration of minimum energy (corresponding to dU/dr = 0 for a diatomic, or dU/da = 0 for a cubic crystal with lattice constant a, etc.).

Related to Atom distance and repulsive energy

1. What is atom distance?

Atom distance refers to the distance between two atoms in a molecule or a solid. It is typically measured in units of angstroms (Å) or nanometers (nm).

2. How is atom distance related to repulsive energy?

Atom distance and repulsive energy are inversely related. As the distance between two atoms decreases, the repulsive energy between them increases. This is due to the repulsive forces between the positively charged nuclei of the atoms.

3. What is repulsive energy?

Repulsive energy is the energy required to overcome the repulsive forces between two atoms. It is a result of the positively charged nuclei of the atoms pushing against each other.

4. How does atom distance affect the stability of a molecule?

The distance between atoms plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a molecule. If the atoms are too close, the repulsive energy will be high and the molecule will be unstable. On the other hand, if the atoms are too far apart, the bond strength will be weak and the molecule will also be unstable.

5. How can atom distance and repulsive energy be calculated?

Atom distance and repulsive energy can be calculated using various physical models, such as the Lennard-Jones potential or the Morse potential. These models take into account the distance between atoms and the strength of the intermolecular forces to determine the repulsive energy between atoms.