Figuring out the magnitude of electric repulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric repulsion between the nuclei of two carbon atoms in a certain organic molecule. Using Coulomb's law and converting distance to meters, the magnitude of the charge for each atom is determined and plugged into the equation to solve for the final answer of 2.07x10^-7 N. The accuracy of the calculation is also verified.
plshlp1224

Homework Statement

[/B]
In a certain organic molecule, the nuclei of 2 carbon atoms are separated by a distance of .20nm, What is the magnitude of the electric repulsion between them?

Now, I know the distance between them, but it has to be converted into meters:

.20nm = .20 X 10 ^-9m

And k is a proportionality constant, equaling:

8.99 X 10 ^9.

Homework Equations

So I am using Coulomb's law for this which states

F = (K|q1| |q2|)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The only unknowns are q1 and q2. In order to solve for those, I have to know the magnitude of their charge. Since there are 6 protons in a Carbon atom, in order to get the charge I multiply 6 by e, which equals:

1.60X10^-19 C

I have solved for all the unknowns, so all that is left is to plug in all the variables and solve for the F.

F = (8.99 X 10 ^9 * (6*1.60X10^-19)^2)/(.20 X 10 ^-9m)^2

This gives me the final answer of:

2.07x10^-7 N

I wanted to verify that my math and reasoning behind my calculations were correct. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Reasoning looks pretty good to me.

What is electric repulsion?

Electric repulsion is a force that occurs between two electrically charged objects with the same charge. It is a result of the repulsive force between the like charges, and it is one of the fundamental forces of nature.

How is the magnitude of electric repulsion determined?

The magnitude of electric repulsion is determined by the Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the force between two electrically charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the magnitude of electric repulsion?

The magnitude of electric repulsion is affected by the amount of charge on the objects and the distance between them. The greater the charge on the objects, the stronger the repulsive force, and the closer the objects are, the stronger the force will be.

How is electric repulsion different from electric attraction?

Electric repulsion occurs between two objects with the same charge, while electric attraction occurs between two objects with opposite charges. The magnitude of electric repulsion is always positive, while the magnitude of electric attraction is negative.

Can the magnitude of electric repulsion be measured?

Yes, the magnitude of electric repulsion can be measured using a device called an electroscope. This device uses the principles of electric repulsion to detect and measure the presence of electric charges on objects.