Position of proton and electron to create electric field

In summary, to produce an electric field pointing North with a magnitude of 1*10^6 N/C at a location C, a proton and an electron should be placed at equal distances from C in the East and West directions, respectively. This is determined by setting the equations for the electric fields produced by each particle equal to each other and considering the direction and magnitude of the field at the desired location. The initial approach of setting the equations for the fields produced by each particle equal to each other did not work.
cherry_cat

Homework Statement

The electric field at a location C points north, and the magnitude is 1*10^6 N/C. Where should you place a proton and an electron, at equal distances from C, to produce this field? Give a numerical answer and a direction for each particle (North, South, East or West).

Homework Equations

E=k q/r^2
E=k q1 q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the distances are equal, I set two sets of the equation equal to each other (one for the electron and one for the proton)
k q1 q2/r^2=k q1 q2/r^2
q2/r^2=q2/r^2
1.6e-19/r^2=-1.6e-19/r^2
Taking square root of each side
√1.6e-19/r=√-1.6e-19/r
r√1.6e-19=r√-1.6e-19

Here I realized that this wasn't going to work, because I would be dividing r by r and also taking the square root of a negative number.
I thought the best way to do this would be by setting the two equations equal to each other as the distance must be the same, but the way I went about solving this problem didn't work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you have to do is to decide where the particles are going to be located. Think about the direction of the electric fields produced by the particles in each of the possible locations and see which one will produce a total electric field North.

Then work out the magnitude of the field produced by each of the particles and relate this to the total field given.

Thanks so much, the diagram really helped me visualise where they should be located. I realized I was looking at the problem in completely the wrong way.

Related to Position of proton and electron to create electric field

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by the presence of charged particles, such as protons and electrons.

How does the position of a proton and electron affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the closer the proton and electron are to each other, the stronger the electric field will be.

Can an electric field exist without the presence of a proton or electron?

No, an electric field cannot exist without the presence of charged particles. It is the interaction between these particles that creates the electric field.

What is the direction of an electric field created by a proton and electron?

The direction of an electric field is defined as the direction a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. In the case of a proton and electron, the electric field lines will point away from the proton and towards the electron.

Can the position of a proton and electron be changed to alter the electric field they create?

Yes, the position of a proton and electron can be changed to alter the strength and direction of the electric field they create. Moving the particles closer together will increase the strength of the electric field, while moving them further apart will decrease it.