At which point in your education do you start calling yourself a physicist?

In summary, the conversation discusses when someone can start calling themselves a physicist or other scientific title. Some argue that it is based on obtaining a job or being recognized by others in the field, while others believe that it is based on actively practicing and using knowledge in the field. Ultimately, society's perception of one's title does not determine their true abilities or expertise in a subject.
Simfish
Gold Member
Or a chemist/mathematician/etc?

I've seen undergrads start calling themselves physicists/mathematicians. To me, that seems premature, but there are points to it. I'm still debating over when I can finally start calling myself an astrophysicist.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are working in the field and doing work pertaining to physics, etc...

DBTS said:

+1.

What do you call yourself when you just graduated with your PhD and don't have a job yet? Unemployed.

Teehee. Seriously though, if you got a nobel prize in physics and you decided to go work as a manager at Best Buy, you'd call yourself a Best Buy manager because that's what you do.

Simfish said:
Or a chemist/mathematician/etc?

I've seen undergrads start calling themselves physicists/mathematicians. To me, that seems premature, but there are points to it. I'm still debating over when I can finally start calling myself an astrophysicist.
How far along are you? Re what Penguino said, when you get a job as an astrophysicist, then you're an astrophysicist. Until then, you're just somebody who knows astrophysics to whatever extent that you know it.

DBTS said:

And I would say that includes grad students, because they work in the field. Otherwise, you're left with the uncomfortable proposition that de Broglie matter waves were not discovered by a physicist (because de Broglie was a grad student when working on that theory.)

Pengwuino said:
+1.

What do you call yourself when you just graduated with your PhD and don't have a job yet? Unemployed.

Teehee. Seriously though, if you got a nobel prize in physics and you decided to go work as a manager at Best Buy, you'd call yourself a Best Buy manager because that's what you do.

I disagree. You can be a scientist without doing it as a profession. Think about all the amateur astronomers who don't make any money doing it. They're still looking up in the sky and discovering things just like a professional astronomer.

I would say "when other physicists start citing your work". This includes most grad students, but towards the end of their studentship, not towards the beginning.

leroyjenkens said:
I disagree. You can be a scientist without doing it as a profession. Think about all the amateur astronomers who don't make any money doing it. They're still looking up in the sky and discovering things just like a professional astronomer.

Those amateur astronomers usually call themselves something else though depending on what their profession actually is. I don't know of a single amateur astronomer who makes a living off of it. It's like saying you're a gardener. You probably like gardening and may in fact run amateur experiments on plants, but in the end you're not doing it as a living and if someone asked what you do, you wouldn't say gardener. And no, that wasn't meant to compare astronomy to gardening. I know exactly what amateur astronomers do.

For example, the people I know/heard of being amateur astronomers mainly go by the titles Professor, Optometrist, Dentist, Doctor, CEO. Hmm, I don't mean to paint amateur astronomers as well wealthy. I suppose everyone I've heard of doesn't just exactly go outside with a 4" telescope and look at the stars... some of them have 14"+ automated telescopes at their homes! Lucky bums...

Pengwuino said:
Those amateur astronomers usually call themselves something else though depending on what their profession actually is. I don't know of a single amateur astronomer who makes a living off of it. It's like saying you're a gardener. You probably like gardening and may in fact run amateur experiments on plants, but in the end you're not doing it as a living and if someone asked what you do, you wouldn't say gardener. And no, that wasn't meant to compare astronomy to gardening. I know exactly what amateur astronomers do.

For example, the people I know/heard of being amateur astronomers mainly go by the titles Professor, Optometrist, Dentist, Doctor, CEO. Hmm, I don't mean to paint amateur astronomers as well wealthy. I suppose everyone I've heard of doesn't just exactly go outside with a 4" telescope and look at the stars... some of them have 14"+ automated telescopes at their homes! Lucky bums...

I think if you do something scientific just like a professional scientist would do it, you are a scientist, despite the fact that it's not your profession. I think I read your post wrong. I thought you implied that the person would have to be a professional physicist to be considered a physicist.

I think somewhere between building a nuclear fusion reactor at home and defending your PhD thesis you can call yourself a physicist.

In an ideal world, the answer would probably be "when other people start calling you a physicist".

But hey, this is the X-factor generation. Anybody can be whatever they want to be. Concepts like "ability" and "practical experience" are just soooo 20th century :smile:

leroyjenkens said:
I think if you do something scientific just like a professional scientist would do it, you are a scientist, despite the fact that it's not your profession.
That would be wrong. If I start diagnosing people and prescribing treatment, does that mean I am a doctor?

It's not really an important question. Just because society says you "know" physics and you yourself are practicing it, the distinction isn't really important. Nature doesn't care what society says.

I know you know this already and are probably looking for a different answer, but I'm trying to reinstate sanity into you. What society says about you isn't really important, you'll still be learning physics in much the same way your entire life.But a physicist is someone who's role in society is to investigate and provide solutions to today's problems using knowledge of the natural universe << Even if you're simply doing Laue diffraction to access the purity of crystals grown in someone else's lab, you're still a physicist. When you become a good physicist (now that is important) people know your name, your name becomes your title :D

AlephZero said:
In an ideal world, the answer would probably be "when other people start calling you a physicist".

But hey, this is the X-factor generation. Anybody can be whatever they want to be. Concepts like "ability" and "practical experience" are just soooo 20th century :smile:

The professor for my "Intermediate Laboratory Physics" class calls her students physicists, despite being undergrads. But I think that just might be a little bit of role-playing. We're basically pretending to be real scientists in that class, and she's playing along. :-p

When can you start calling yourself a mathematician, though? I mean, some mathematicians were discovering things in elementary school.

I think it depends a bit on the context. I only have a Bachelor's. When people ask me what I do, I say "physics teacher." I think it would be pretentious to say I'm a "physicist" as an answer to that question, but I have in the past said things like "As a physicist, I'd be looking at the angle of the sun in the sky..." etc. As opposed to the profession of "Physicist," I'm referring to the objective, analytical mindset that the word implies.

Jack21222 said:
The professor for my "Intermediate Laboratory Physics" class calls her students physicists, despite being undergrads. But I think that just might be a little bit of role-playing. We're basically pretending to be real scientists in that class, and she's playing along. :-p

That's ironic. My students call themselves students while it seems like their one goal in life is to NOT learn. Maybe role play is good in the class room.

Related to At which point in your education do you start calling yourself a physicist?

1. What education is required to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, you typically need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other related sciences. This usually involves completing a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in physics. Some research positions may also require a PhD in physics.

2. Can you call yourself a physicist after completing a bachelor's degree in physics?

Technically, yes. However, most people consider a physicist to be someone who has completed a graduate degree in physics and is actively working in the field. Therefore, while you may have a degree in physics, you may not be considered a physicist until you have completed further education and gained experience in the field.

3. Are there any specific courses or subjects that are considered necessary to become a physicist?

Yes, there are certain courses and subjects that are essential for a physicist. These include calculus, classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. Other subjects such as computer science, statistics, and experimental design may also be beneficial.

4. Can you become a physicist without a degree in physics?

While it may be possible to become a physicist without a degree in physics, it is highly unlikely. Physics is a specialized field that requires a deep understanding of complex concepts and mathematical equations. Without a formal education in physics, it would be difficult to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to become a physicist.

5. Is it necessary to have a PhD to be considered a physicist?

Not necessarily. While many physicists do hold a PhD, it is not a requirement to be considered a physicist. Some individuals may have a master's degree in physics or a related field and still be considered a physicist, depending on their level of experience and contributions to the field.