At what age did Newton encounter mathematics

In summary, Isaac Newton first encountered and fell in love with mathematics in his mid to late teens, not as early as some may assume for a genius like him. He learned trigonometry in college and did not read Euclid's Elements until after 1663. However, he quickly mastered the most advanced mathematics of his time and went on to create the differential part of calculus a few years later. His enthusiasm for mathematics was fueled by mathematicians like Wallis and his early life and achievements can be further explored in the Wikipedia article on his early life and achievements.
pentazoid
At what age did Newton encounter and fell in loved with mathematics? I was really surprised when some sources said that he learned trigonometry during his college years and that he didn't really read Euclid's elements until after 1663.(http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Newton.html) I would think a genius like Newton would have encountered and study mathematics early on in life,like mastering the most advanced math of his time by like 8 or 9 years old. Especially since he created the differential party of calculus a few years later. I am unable to check out a book on Newton's biography , so could someone in PF who possesses more knowledge than I enlighten me on when NEwton became greatly interested in mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone not understand my question or does anybody not know at exactly what year was Newton introduced to mathematics?

Well, I know he didn't like Euclid much, but in his mid/late teens, I believe his enthusiasm for maths was fired by mathematicians like Wallis.

Related to At what age did Newton encounter mathematics

1. What sparked Newton's interest in mathematics at a young age?

Newton's interest in mathematics was sparked by his father, who was a farmer and also a self-taught mathematician. His father's influence and encouragement led Newton to explore mathematics at a young age.

2. At what age did Newton encounter mathematics?

Newton encountered mathematics at a very young age, around 12 years old. He was already showing a strong aptitude for mathematics and was self-taught until he went to Cambridge University.

3. What inspired Newton to pursue mathematics as a career?

The works of famous mathematicians such as Euclid, Descartes, and Galileo inspired Newton to pursue mathematics as a career. He was fascinated by their theories and wanted to contribute to the field himself.

4. Did Newton have any other interests besides mathematics?

Yes, Newton had a wide range of interests including physics, astronomy, and alchemy. He also had a fascination with theology and spent a lot of time studying and writing about religious and philosophical topics.

5. How did Newton's encounter with mathematics shape his future achievements?

Newton's early encounter with mathematics played a significant role in shaping his future achievements. His understanding of mathematics helped him develop his theories of calculus, gravity, and motion, which revolutionized the scientific world and laid the foundation for modern physics and mathematics.