Astronomy - speed of debris of supernova inner ring

In summary, the task is to calculate the speed of debris hitting the inner ring of Supernova 1987A, with a given radius of 0.7 light years. The suggested approach is to use the equation for kinetic energy, but this does not account for the given radius. Another suggestion is to use the distance traveled by the inner ring, which is 0.7 ly, and the time since its start in 1987. An example problem is given to illustrate the concept.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

Compute the speed of debris seen hitting the inner ring of Supernova 1987A. Assume radius of inner ring is 0.7 light years.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure where to start. I thought about just using kinetic energy = 0.5mv^2 because I can find the total energy released on Wikipedia (10^46 J), but what would I put for m? Then I realized that way, I'm not using the radius that they gave me, so it's probably wrong. So...

I'd appreciate any guidance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Inner ring started traveling in 1987 and has reached a distance of 0.7 ly. You have time and distance. Can you calculate speed from that?

How about this problem... if it takes me an hour to travel 50 miles, how fast am I travelling?

Related to Astronomy - speed of debris of supernova inner ring

1. What is the speed of debris in the inner ring of a supernova?

The speed of debris in the inner ring of a supernova can vary greatly, but it is estimated to be around 10,000 to 20,000 kilometers per second.

2. How is the speed of debris in the inner ring of a supernova measured?

The speed of debris in the inner ring of a supernova is measured by analyzing the spectrum of light emitted by the debris. This can give scientists information about the velocity of the debris and its composition.

3. What causes the debris in the inner ring of a supernova to move at such high speeds?

The explosion of a supernova is an incredibly powerful event, releasing a huge amount of energy. This energy is what propels the debris in the inner ring at such high speeds.

4. Can the speed of debris in the inner ring of a supernova change over time?

Yes, the speed of debris in the inner ring of a supernova can change over time. As the debris expands and moves away from the explosion, it can slow down due to interactions with surrounding material and the effects of gravity.

5. How does the speed of debris in the inner ring of a supernova affect its impact on surrounding objects?

The high speed of debris in the inner ring of a supernova can cause it to collide with and interact with surrounding material, creating shock waves and potentially triggering the formation of new stars. This can have a significant impact on the evolution of the surrounding galaxy.