A flat ring is uniformly charged

In summary, the problem asks to determine the electric field on the axis of a uniformly charged flat ring, at two different points, using Gauss's Law and Coulomb's Law. The hint suggests replacing the ring with two oppositely charged superposed disks. By symmetry, the field at the first point is zero and at the second point, it can be calculated using Coulomb's Law for a point charge. The provided solution expands on this approach using the concept of charge per unit area and the superposition principle.
hitemup

Homework Statement

A flat ring (inner radius R_0, outer radius 4R_0) is uniformly charged. In terms of the total charge Q, determine the electric field on the axis at points

a) 0.25R_0
b) 75R_0

from the center of the ring. [Hint: The ring can be replaced with two oppositely charged superposed disks.]

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law
Coulomb's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm okay with part b. The ring will be like a point charge, so using Coulomb's law would lead to the correct result.
But I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to imagine for part a. I guessed that it would be zero eventually because there cannot be electrical field inside a conductor, but didn't do anything like hint says I should.

Physics news on Phys.org
hitemup said:
But I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to imagine for part a. I guessed that it would be zero eventually because there cannot be electrical field inside a conductor, but didn't do anything like hint says I should.
You should be able to make an argument from symmetry to back up your guess.

I also have a PDF in which a solution exists to this problem.

"We treat the source charge as a disk of positive charge of radius concentric with a disk of negative charge of radius R_0 . In order for the net charge of the inner space to be 0, the charge per unit area of the source disks must both have the same magnitude but opposite sign. The field due to the annulus is then the sum of the fields due to both the positive and negative rings."

But again, I can't understand why we are doing this.

hitemup said:
I also have a PDF in which a solution exists to this problem.

"We treat the source charge as a disk of positive charge of radius concentric with a disk of negative charge of radius R_0 . In order for the net charge of the inner space to be 0, the charge per unit area of the source disks must both have the same magnitude but opposite sign. The field due to the annulus is then the sum of the fields due to both the positive and negative rings."

But again, I can't understand why we are doing this.
Presumably because the solution for the field due to a charged disk has been presented previously and you can use that result (cleverly) to solve this problem.

Related to A flat ring is uniformly charged

What is a flat ring?

A flat ring is a two-dimensional circular shape with a hole in the center. It can be visualized as a thin, flat disk with a circular hole in the middle.

What does it mean for a flat ring to be uniformly charged?

A flat ring is uniformly charged when the charge is evenly distributed across its surface. This means that every point on the ring has the same amount of charge per unit area.

How is the charge on a flat ring calculated?

The charge on a flat ring is calculated by multiplying the charge density (charge per unit area) by the surface area of the ring. The charge density can be determined by dividing the total charge by the total surface area of the ring.

What is the electric field at the center of a uniformly charged flat ring?

The electric field at the center of a uniformly charged flat ring is zero. This is because the electric field from each point on the ring cancels out due to symmetry.

What is the potential at a point on the axis of a uniformly charged flat ring?

The potential at a point on the axis of a uniformly charged flat ring can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on the ring, and r is the distance from the point to the center of the ring. This equation is valid only for points on the axis, not on the surface of the ring.