Ask a Mechanical Engineer: Motion Sensor Work Underwater?

• Thread starter Mark14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an underwater motion sensor and the different technologies that could be used for it. The participants mention using a combination of a video camera and software, Doppler shift flow meters, and ultrasonic pulses or chirps as potential options. They also consider factors such as water movement, target size, and required range for the sensor's functioning.
Mark14
I was looking to get any advice from a mechanical engineer about motion sensors. Would it be possible to make a motion sensor work underwater? i wasn't sure if the water would interfere. Thanks for anything, if this isn't an appropriate place for this question i would appreciate if anyone has a better forum to ask on. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not an ME and I don't know about different kinds of motion sensors but I can guarantee you that you can make an underwater motion detector with a combination of a video camera and software to detect changes in the image. This obviously would not work as the light got dimmer and dimmer at depths.

Last edited:
Doppler shift flow meters are one example of similar tech. They measure the velocity of bubbles or particles in fluids.

Yes there are underwater motion sensors. Like Billy said, their functioning is based on Doppler shift. Usual motion sensors use infra red.

How is the water moving? What range do you require? How big are your moving targets?

Waves would produce variable doppler shifts, a flowing river would produce a constant doppler shift.

The echo of an ultrasonic pulse or chirp will depend on the position of nearby objects. If the record changes then the environment has changed.

Related to Ask a Mechanical Engineer: Motion Sensor Work Underwater?

1. How do motion sensors work underwater?

Motion sensors use various technologies such as ultrasonic, infrared, and optical detection to sense movement in their surroundings. These sensors emit a signal and measure the time it takes for the signal to bounce back to determine the distance of an object. In underwater environments, the sensors use acoustic waves to detect movement and can operate at depths of up to 100 meters.

2. Can motion sensors be used for precise measurement in underwater applications?

Yes, motion sensors can be used for precise measurement in underwater applications. However, the accuracy may be affected by factors such as water temperature, pressure, and level of turbidity. Calibration and testing of the sensors in the specific underwater environment may be necessary to ensure accurate measurements.

3. What types of materials are motion sensors made of to withstand underwater conditions?

Motion sensors used for underwater applications are typically made of durable materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, or plastic. These materials are non-corrosive and can withstand the pressure and harsh conditions of underwater environments.

4. Do motion sensors have limitations in detecting movement underwater?

Yes, motion sensors may have limitations in detecting movement underwater. The accuracy of the sensors may be affected by the speed and direction of the movement, as well as the size and shape of the object. Additionally, the range of detection may be limited in murky or turbid water.

5. Are there different types of motion sensors for different underwater applications?

Yes, there are different types of motion sensors that are designed for specific underwater applications. Some sensors are suitable for shallow water while others can operate at greater depths. Additionally, there are sensors that are specifically designed for measuring movement in marine animals or for underwater robotics and vehicles.