Arithmetic mean Fermi Dirac & Bose Einstein

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery that in one system, the arithmetic mean of FD and BE distributions is equal to MB's distribution for indistinguishable particles. The participants also speculate that this is a demonstration of quantum mechanical averaged values behaving classically, and consider the classical analogue of the distributions. They also discuss the possibility of this holding true for all temperatures and the potential implications for larger systems.
Frank Einstein
Hi everybody, I was doing one asignment form class, I was tasked to prove that in one system, the arimetic mean of FD and BE distributions is equal to MB's distribution for undishtingable particles.
After doing the numbers I found out that it actually was, but I don't know why this happens, can someone explain this to me or point me to a place where I can learn that?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a demonstration that the quantum mechanical averaged values behave classically.
Mind that the classical analogue of the Bose Einstein/Fermi Dirac distributions is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution (give the number density as a function of the energy of the system).

Likes Frank Einstein
For all temperatures? That would surprise me. Fermi-Dirac includes particles at an energy way above the energies Maxwell-Boltzmann at low temperatures would give, and I don't see how MB would reproduce the step coming from Fermi-Dirac at the Fermi energy.

Well, to be honest I have not advanced that much in theory lessons. All I know is that I have a system with two particles and three possible enrgies for them and I had to study the partiton function for each of the three distributions, I checked that the math were right and saw that it acturally worked so I asked the quastion.

By the way thank you very much for your anwsers.

Ah, for only two particles it might look different.
I'm not convinced that it works out for all temperatures, however. In the limit of large temperature: sure.

Likes Frank Einstein

Related to Arithmetic mean Fermi Dirac & Bose Einstein

1. What is the difference between arithmetic mean, Fermi-Dirac, and Bose-Einstein statistics?

The arithmetic mean is a basic statistical measure that calculates the average of a set of numbers. Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles. Fermi-Dirac statistics is used for particles with half-integer spin (such as electrons), while Bose-Einstein statistics is used for particles with integer spin (such as photons).

2. How is the arithmetic mean calculated?

The arithmetic mean is calculated by adding up all the values in a set and dividing by the number of values in the set. For example, the arithmetic mean of the numbers 2, 4, and 6 would be (2+4+6)/3 = 4.

3. What is the significance of Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics?

These statistics are important in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They help us understand how particles with different spins behave and how they interact with each other. They also play a crucial role in fields such as solid state physics and cosmology.

4. How are Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics different from classical statistics?

Classical statistics, also known as Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics, assumes that particles are distinguishable and can occupy the same energy state. In contrast, Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics take into account the quantum nature of particles, where they are indistinguishable and have restrictions on their energy states.

5. How are Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics used in practical applications?

These statistics are used in various fields such as semiconductor device modeling, superconductivity, and the study of matter at extremely low temperatures. They also have important applications in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics, where understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level is crucial.