Footnote on page 151 of Weinberg's Cosmology book

In summary, Pierre is discussing a footnote that mentions the derivation of Equation 3.1.7 for the pressure of a particle from the law of conservation of energy and a previous definition of energy density based on Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein distributions. He expresses confusion about how this will work and asks for clarification. George responds by providing additional equations and explaining how they can be used to derive Equation 3.1.7. Pierre thanks George for his help.
jouvelot
Hi all,

In this footnote, it is mentioned that Eq. 3.1.7, giving the pressure p(T) of a particle, can be derived from the law of conservation of energy (Eq. 3.1.4)

Tdp(T)/dT = ρ(T)+p(T)

and a previous definition (Eq. 3.1.6) of the energy density ρ(T) based on Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein distributions (Eq. 3.1.5).

Just as a sanity check, I mentally plugged the provided definition of p(T) in the conservation equation and cannot see from the top of my head how this is going to work. Indeed, the derivative dp(T)/dT will introduce, among other things, the Boltzmann constant in the lhs of the equation, and I see no way to eliminate it, since it doesn't seem to occur in a similar manner in the equation rhs. Any hint?

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year to all.

Bye,

Pierre

Space news on Phys.org
jouvelot said:
Just as a sanity check, I mentally plugged the provided definition of p(T) in the conservation equation and cannot see from the top of my head how this is going to work. Indeed, the derivative dp(T)/dT will introduce, among other things, the Boltzmann constant in the lhs of the equation, and I see no way to eliminate it, since it doesn't seem to occur in a similar manner in the equation rhs. Any hint?

Look at equations (3.61) and (3.62) on the page that I have attached from Baumann's cosmology lecture notes. On the next page, Baumann writes "Integrating by parts, we find
$$\frac{dP}{dT}=\frac{\rho + P}{T}"$$

Do you see what happens?

Attachments

• Baumann Page.pdf
    190.7 KB · Views: 318
Hello George,

I have no problem deriving Eq. 3.1.4. My issue has to do with the comment in the footnote on Page 151 that states that Eq. 3.1.7 can be derived _from_ Eq. 3.1.4 and also Eq. 3.1.6 (the derivation of which is simple too). The sheet you provided doesn't seem to help in that regard.

Thanks a lot for your help anyway :)

Bye,

Pierre

Related to Footnote on page 151 of Weinberg's Cosmology book

1. What is the significance of the footnote on page 151 of Weinberg's Cosmology book?

The footnote on page 151 of Weinberg's Cosmology book discusses the possibility of a cosmological constant, also known as dark energy, which plays a crucial role in the expansion of the universe. It addresses the debate between a static or expanding universe and how the introduction of a cosmological constant could explain the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

2. Who is the author of Weinberg's Cosmology book?

The author of Weinberg's Cosmology book is Steven Weinberg, an American theoretical physicist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1979 for his contributions to the theory of the unified weak and electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles.

3. How does the footnote on page 151 relate to the rest of the book?

The footnote on page 151 is a continuation of the discussion on the expansion of the universe and its implications for the fate of the universe. It is part of the larger topic of cosmology, which is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.

4. Are there any other footnotes in Weinberg's Cosmology book that are relevant to the discussion on page 151?

Yes, there are several footnotes throughout the book that are relevant to the discussion on page 151. These footnotes provide additional information, clarification, and references for further reading on the topics discussed in the main text.

5. Is the information in the footnote on page 151 still relevant today?

Yes, the information in the footnote on page 151 is still relevant today. The concept of a cosmological constant, or dark energy, is still an active area of research in cosmology. In fact, the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe, which is attributed to dark energy.