Areas of Focus in Electrical Engineering

In summary, the individual is trying to decide whether or not to pursue a specialized Electrical Engineering degree. They have difficulty deciding which focus area to pursue because they have not taken any courses in three of the four domains. They would like to hear other people's experiences, advice, and research about the four available focus areas.
jegues
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide whether or not I'd be interested in pursuing a specialized Electrical Engineering degree in one of the many offered "Focus Areas" at my university, but I'm not sure which one best suits me.

I have a tough time deiciding which focus area to pursure because as of right now, I've only taken general courses such as Electric Circuits, Digital Logic, Microprocessing Systems, and Electronics 2E.

I seem to enjoy the circuit analysis courses more so than the digital logic/programming courses.

If I had to rank the ones I've listed above it'd be in the following order,

Electronics 2E, Electric Circuits, Microprocessing Systems, Digital Logic.

I still enjoy and appreciate the material presented in the two lower ranked courses, just not as much as the others. (I guess you could say analog over digital, but not really because I enjoy the digital stuff as well!)

Given that the four available focus areas are,

• Power and Energy Systems
  • Wireless Communication Devices
  • Biomedical
  • Engineering Physics
Any suggestions as to which focus area may be more suited for my interests?

It's difficult for me to choose anyone out of the four because as I mentioned previously, I haven't necessairly taken any courses in 3 of the 4 domains.(i.e. Power Systems, Wireless Communication & Biomedical)

Would anyone like to share their experiences/interests/advice with regards to any of the 4 focus areas mentioned above?

I'd love to hear how you are finding it, what you're working on and why you chosen it over the others.

As always, I appreciate the input.

Thanks again!

Engineering news on Phys.org
No feedback from any of the Engineers/Engineering Students out there?

I am pretty much like you, analog over digital. Given the choices your university offers you, I would take the Power and Energy Systems route. That is the route I took at my university and I have enjoyed it so far.

I think that regardless of what specialty you choose, you should enjoy the learning experience. Your specialty will only be important for the first job you go after, but after that you'll receive a lot of on the job training and you'll gain the expertise needed to be successful at your job. After about five years, then it won't matter what your speciality will be, or was, cause at that point you'll be wearing some many different "hats" that people will just expect you to get stuff done that requires an engineer to work on it.

Research! I am in the same boat. I needed to know what to specialize in EE for my Masters (currently underway). Explore the options available to you, such as:

1. Talk to your adviser. Ask them about the course content, their opinion based on your interests thus far, etc.
2. Find a way to examine the textbooks used for each specialization. Either find students enrolled in courses of interest and ask to look at their book, or find snippets of the book online. This can give you insight into the material you will be exposed to.
3. Research online. Find other books/websites/etc that cover the topics of interest.

In other words, check multiple sources, and try to get a feel for the content. For instance, I "thought" I was interested in Control Systems, so I researched it online, bought a Control Systems book, etc, to see what it was all about.

Related to Areas of Focus in Electrical Engineering

1. What are the main areas of focus in electrical engineering?

The main areas of focus in electrical engineering include power systems, electronic circuits, control systems, signal processing, and telecommunications.

2. What is the difference between power systems and electronic circuits in electrical engineering?

Power systems deal with the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical energy, while electronic circuits focus on the design and development of electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and other consumer electronics.

3. How does control systems play a role in electrical engineering?

Control systems are used to manage and regulate the behavior of electrical systems. This includes controlling the speed, voltage, and current of motors, as well as maintaining stability in power grids.

4. What is the significance of signal processing in electrical engineering?

Signal processing involves the analysis, manipulation, and interpretation of signals such as images, sounds, and data. It plays a crucial role in the development of communication systems, medical imaging, and other technological advancements.

5. How does telecommunications tie into electrical engineering?

Telecommunications involves the transmission of information over long distances through various mediums such as wires, cables, and airwaves. Electrical engineering plays a crucial role in the design and development of telecommunication systems, including cell phones, satellites, and internet networks.