Which Courses Would Benefit Me for Quantum Computing?

In summary: I will definitely be back to you.In summary, Shah is interested in quantum computing and wants to know what classes are available at UIC that would be beneficial to him in this field. He has looked at the ECE department undergraduate and graduate course catalogs and does not see anything directly related to quantum computers. He plans to talk to some of his professors about this.
TheRealShah777
Hello,
I’m currently an Undergraduate Computer Engineer at UIC and minoring in physics. I have become more and more interested in Quantum Computing and its related fields. I plan on continuing my masters in Electrical engineering (Nano - technology).

I was wondering if you could help me out in choosing the right classes that would benefit me for any knowledge on quantum computing. I will have the course catalog for both the undergraduate and graduate courses from the ECE department below.

I plan on also going for my PhD in Nano technology and I was wondering which specific areas in of research for Nano - technology would be helpful for research and overlap in quantum computing at the same time.

I am a standing senior so you can start looking at the 300 level or higher classes for the ECE catalog.

ECE Department Undergraduate course catalog: http://catalog.uic.edu/ucat/course-descriptions/ece/
ECE Department Graduate course catalog: http://catalog.uic.edu/gcat/course-descriptions/ece/

Thank you for your time and help. God bless

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything on that list that is directed toward quantum computers. It is a subject on its own, with very different mathematics, logic, algorithms, and physics. You should ask some of your professors for suggestions.

FactChecker said:
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything on that list that is directed toward quantum computers. It is a subject on its own, with very different mathematics, logic, algorithms, and physics. You should ask some of your professors for suggestions.

Do any of the courses overlap for knowledge in quantum computing, in particular the nano-tech aspect?

Sorry, I looked again at the brief descriptions and don't see anything. Regarding nano-tech -- as devices get very small, quantum effects become important, but that is not very well directed toward understanding quantum computers. Quantum computers are a completely different beast. You need to understand how qubits behave in combinations, how that can be used to perform simple tasks, how to implement qubit networks, etc. You may want to take a brief look at some books just to get an idea of some of the subjects. If you can, look at a copy of Quantum Computation and Quantum Information by Nielson and Chang (this is a standard) or Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction (Scientific and Engineering Computation) by Reiffel and Polak (there are many other reasonable books). It will give you some idea of the nature of the subject.
I still think that you should talk to some of your professors and ask them for recommendations within that University.

PS. If it is really nano-tech that you are interested in rather than quantum computers, then that is different. Those classes will be good and I'm sure that any quantum theory discussed will be appropriate for that subject.

Likes TheRealShah777
Hi @TheRealShah777, the ECE course catalog doesn't seem to include anything related to Quantum Computing. I found PHYS 240 at UIC which might be somewhat relevant and helpful. Not sure if you can or it makes sense for you to sign up for that course but you might want to just audit it because of your interest.

Otherwise you can self-study the subject, or pursue a grad program at a different school that specifically offers such a program.

You can even find free introductory MOOCs online, like this one I took a while back and found quite interesting: https://www.edx.org/course/quantum-mechanics-quantum-computation-uc-berkeleyx-cs-191x

Likes TheRealShah777 and FactChecker
Likes FactChecker and TheRealShah777
Vitro said:
e
Vitro said:
Check this out too: http://www.research.ibm.com/ibm-q/
It seems you can experiment with an actual quantum computer.

Thank you so much for all your help. I will be doing more research into it

Related to Which Courses Would Benefit Me for Quantum Computing?

1. What is Quantum Computing?

Quantum computing is a field of computer science that uses principles of quantum mechanics to process and manipulate information. Unlike classical computing, which uses bits to represent information, quantum computing uses quantum bits or qubits, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to solve certain types of problems much faster than classical computers.

2. What are the potential applications of Quantum Computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize many fields, including cryptography, drug discovery, financial modeling, and artificial intelligence. It could also help solve complex optimization problems and improve the efficiency of data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

3. What are the prerequisites for taking a course in Quantum Computing?

Some basic knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and probability theory is recommended for understanding the principles of quantum computing. It is also helpful to have a background in computer science and programming, as most quantum computing courses involve coding exercises.

4. How long does it take to complete a course in Quantum Computing?

The duration of a course in quantum computing can vary depending on the level of the course and the institution offering it. Some introductory courses may only take a few weeks, while more advanced courses may span a few months. Self-paced online courses may also have flexible timelines for completion.

5. Are there any hands-on components in a course on Quantum Computing?

Many courses on quantum computing include hands-on components, such as coding exercises or projects, to help students apply the concepts they learn. Some courses may also offer lab sessions where students can work with real quantum computers or simulators to gain practical experience.