Are you positive about part 2 in Helicopter Kinetics and Motion

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a helicopter flying at a constant speed and altitude, and a package being ejected horizontally from the helicopter. The questions involve finding the initial velocity of the package relative to the ground, the horizontal distance between the helicopter and the package at the instant of impact, and the angle of the velocity vector of the package at the instant before impact. The equations relevant to the problem are also mentioned.
DarPodo

Homework Statement

A helicopter is flying in a straight line over a level field at a constant speed of 6.8 m/s and at a constant altitude of 9.9 m. A package is ejected horizontally from the helicopter with an initial velocity of 11.0 m/s relative to the helicopter, and in a direction opposite the helicopter's motion.

1)Find the initial velocity of the package relative to the ground.

2)What is the horizontal distance between the helicopter and the package at the instant the package strikes the ground?

3)What angle does the velocity vector of the package make with the ground at the instant before impact, as seen from the ground?

Homework Equations

Vy2=Voy2-2*g*(y-yo)

Vy = Voy+g*t

The Attempt at a Solution

1) To find the initial velocity of the package to the ground I thought it was just a simple vector subtraction of 11m/s - 6.8m/s ... my online homework CAPA says that the result is not correct, but I don't know another method.

2) This problem requires me having the correct solution for part 1. I would use the time taken for the package to hit the ground (using t = v/g) and then do:
(t * the velocity from part 1) + (t*6.8) = distance traveled by the package when it hits the ground. I can't test that out unless I have part 1 correct.

3) Again, I would need part 1 correct, but I'm thinking it's just inverse tan to solve.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DarPodo said:

Homework Statement

A helicopter is flying in a straight line over a level field at a constant speed of 6.8 m/s and at a constant altitude of 9.9 m. A package is ejected horizontally from the helicopter with an initial velocity of 11.0 m/s relative to the helicopter, and in a direction opposite the helicopter's motion.

1)Find the initial velocity of the package relative to the ground.

2)What is the horizontal distance between the helicopter and the package at the instant the package strikes the ground?

3)What angle does the velocity vector of the package make with the ground at the instant before impact, as seen from the ground?

Homework Equations

Vy2=Voy2-2*g*(y-yo)

Vy = Voy+g*t

The Attempt at a Solution

1) To find the initial velocity of the package to the ground I thought it was just a simple vector subtraction of 11m/s - 6.8m/s ... my online homework CAPA says that the result is not correct, but I don't know another method.

2) This problem requires me having the correct solution for part 1. I would use the time taken for the package to hit the ground (using t = v/g) and then do:
(t * the velocity from part 1) + (t*6.8) = distance traveled by the package when it hits the ground. I can't test that out unless I have part 1 correct.

3) Again, I would need part 1 correct, but I'm thinking it's just inverse tan to solve.

Maybe the answer you are getting for part 1 is not positive...

DarPodo said:
Maybe the answer you are getting for part 1 is not positive...
Talking to yourself, hey? :wink:I do it a lot myself. :smile: Yes, you are correct about part 1 not being positive, but are you positive:rolleyes: about your method in part 2? You have 2 relevant equations you did not list.

Related to Are you positive about part 2 in Helicopter Kinetics and Motion

1. What is a helicopter and how does it work?

A helicopter is a type of aircraft that uses rotating blades to generate lift and thrust. It works by creating a difference in air pressure above and below the rotor blades, allowing it to fly and maneuver in the air.

2. What are the different parts of a helicopter?

A helicopter is made up of several parts including the main rotor, tail rotor, landing gear, engine, cockpit, and fuselage. Each part plays a crucial role in the helicopter's flight and control.

3. How is the physics of kinetics involved in helicopter flight?

Kinetics is the study of motion and its causes, which is essential in understanding how helicopters fly. The principles of kinetics, such as Newton's laws of motion, are applied in the design and operation of helicopters to achieve lift, thrust, and control.

4. What are some common applications of helicopters?

Helicopters have a wide range of applications, including transportation, search and rescue, military operations, firefighting, aerial photography, and tourism. They are also used in industries such as oil and gas, agriculture, and construction.

5. What are the safety considerations when flying in a helicopter?

Safety is of utmost importance in helicopter flight. Before takeoff, proper maintenance checks and procedures must be followed. During flight, pilots must be aware of weather conditions, terrain, and potential hazards. In case of emergency, helicopters are equipped with safety features such as emergency flotation devices and parachutes.