Helicopter, travelling horizontally, is 82 m above the ground. The pil

In summary: since this is a free fall question, the falling is only due to gravity but not vertical velocity. however, since the object is moving along with the plane at the instant it is being dropped, it has a horizontal velocity which is not due to the vertical velocity of the helicopter.
cmkc109

Homework Statement

helicopter, traveling horizontally, is 82 m above the ground. The pilot prepares to
release a relief package intended to land on the ground 96 m horizontally ahead. Air
resistance is negligible. The pilot does not throw the package, but let's it drop. What is the
initial velocity of the package relative to the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don't understand is the velocity. Since the package is just dropped, doesn't it mean it has no initial velocity?
The solution says it has a horizontal initial velocity but not a vertical initial velocity
Can someone explain the concept of this, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

This part of the problem is worded poorly The pilot prepares to release a relief package intended to land on the ground 96 m horizontally ahead, since this could imply that there's preparation time before the package is dropped. I think you're just supposed to assume that the package lands 96 m horizontally ahead from it's release point (start of the drop) from the helicopter.

i didnt even think about that details..i'm still on the basic steps understanding the velocities..i don't understand why vy = 0 when it is dropped downward

cmkc109 said:
What I don't understand is the velocity. Since the package is just dropped, doesn't it mean it has no initial velocity?
The package is dropped from a helicopter that is travelling horizontally, so when dropped, the package initially has the same horizontal velocity as the helicopter.

rcgldr said:
The package is dropped from a helicopter that is travelling horizontally, so when dropped, the package initially has the same horizontal velocity as the helicopter.

so initially v1x = helicopter velocity v1y = 0 since helicopter is traveling horizontally
then what about after it leaves the helicopter?
will there be a velocity in both x and y direction?

cmkc109 said:
so initially v1x = helicopter velocity v1y = 0 since helicopter is traveling horizontally
then what about after it leaves the helicopter?
will there be a velocity in both x and y direction?
Yes, do you know what the rule is about objects in free fall for velocity in x and y direction?

rcgldr said:
Yes, do you know what the rule is about objects in free fall for velocity in x and y direction?

not sure if i know the rules that u are referring to

rcgldr said:

cmkc109 said:
not sure if i know the rules that u are referring to
Has your class talked about objects in free fall or objects that are being accelerated by gravity? If so, your class should have included equations for an object in free fall.

In what direction is the package accelerating, and what is the rate of acceleration for an object in free fall (being accelerated by gravity)?

rcgldr said:
Has your class talked about objects in free fall or objects that are being accelerated by gravity? If so, your class should have included equations for an object in free fall.

In what direction is the package accelerating, and what is the rate of acceleration for an object in free fall (being accelerated by gravity)?

honestly my teacher doesn't teach much..

for rate of acceleration ,a is always 9.8 m/s^2 (-g)
so can switch kinematics equations from a to -g .

cmkc109 said:
for rate of acceleration, a is always 9.8 m/s^2 (-g)
OK, so the rate of acceleration in the y direction is -9.8 m / s^2. The problem states that air resistance can be ignored, so there is no acceleration in the x direction. So can you now attempt to write the equations for acceleration, velocity, and position versus time, for both x and y directions? These should have been given to you in class or included in your class book, otherwise, it would take calculus or similar knowledge to derive these equations of motion for an object in free fall.

rcgldr said:
OK, so the rate of acceleration in the y direction is -9.8 m / s^2. The problem states that air resistance can be ignored, so there is no acceleration in the x direction. So can you now attempt to write the equations for acceleration, velocity, and position versus time, for both x and y directions? These should have been given to you in class or included in your class book, otherwise, it would take calculus or similar knowledge to derive these equations of motion for an object in free fall.

are u talking about the five kinematics equations? i solved this question using those equations. I'm just not sure about the velocity . I know those things, but that doesn't mean i understand why..

I am actually looking for explanation like this.

since this is a free fall question, the falling is only due to gravity but not vertical velocity. however, since the object is moving along with the plane at the instant it is being dropped, it has a horizontal velocity which is not due to free fall. once the object is dropped, only free fall is acting on the object .

can someone see if this is correct or elaborate on that please? thanks!

cmkc109 said:
can someone see if this is correct or elaborate on that please?
You didn't show your answer, so it's not possible to say if your answer is correct.

rcgldr said:
You didn't show your answer, so it's not possible to say if your answer is correct.

no , not answer, i am asking about the concept.. For physics , i believe it is better to understand the concept than just working out the answer. and my answer must be right because that is the sample question in the textbook...
does it mean my understanding of the question is wrong so u need to look at my work?

cmkc109 said:
are u talking about the five kinematics equations? i solved this question using those equations.

cmkc109 said:
no , not answer, i am asking about the concept.
Without seeing what those kinematic equations are, I can't tell if your method is correct.

Related to Helicopter, travelling horizontally, is 82 m above the ground. The pil

1. What is the speed of the helicopter?

The speed of the helicopter can be calculated using the formula speed = distance/time. In this case, the distance travelled horizontally is 82 m and the time taken is dependent on the specific scenario.

2. How is the height of the helicopter above the ground measured?

The height of the helicopter above the ground is typically measured using a barometric altimeter, which measures air pressure to determine altitude.

3. What factors can affect the horizontal travel of the helicopter?

The horizontal travel of the helicopter can be affected by factors such as wind speed and direction, air density, and the power and performance of the helicopter itself.

4. Can the helicopter change its horizontal position without changing altitude?

Yes, the helicopter can change its horizontal position without changing altitude by adjusting the pitch and yaw of the rotor blades, which allows for directional control.

5. How does the pilot control the speed and direction of the helicopter?

The pilot controls the speed and direction of the helicopter by manipulating the collective and cyclic controls, which change the pitch and angle of the rotor blades to generate lift and thrust.