Why Does Helicopter Velocity Affect Package Drop Time?

• Thread starter rexorsist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: It might be worth trying to rearrange the equation to solve for time, and see if you can spot a shortcut in the process.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a helicopter and a dropped package. The main question is how to find the time it takes for the package to hit the ground. Different equations and methods are suggested, such as finding the final velocity first or using a quadratic equation. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try rearranging an equation to find a shortcut for solving the problem.
rexorsist
I know how to do most projectile questions, but if just can't seem to get the correct answer for this:

6) A helicopter is ascending vertically with a velocity of 8.0 m/s at a height of 120 m when a package is dropped out of the door. How much time passes before the package hits the ground?

I know that:

Displacement: 120m
Gravity: 9.8 m/s^2

I don't see how the velocity of the helicopter is relevant to the time that it takes the package to hit the ground.

Can someone point me to the right direction? I have a huge unit test tomorrow and need help.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your setup seems to imply that the package starts at rest when it is dropped, but are you sure about this? Before the package is dropped, what is it's velocity inside the helicopter?

Likes 1 person
Oh, of course! The velocity of the helicopter would be the initial velocity for the package (but negative). This means I'd first have to find the final velocity (using final velocity^2-initial velocity^2=2xgravityxdisplacement) and then use that to find time (with V2=V1+gravityxtime).

I got the correct answer, but apparently my teacher says there is a short cut and that this question can be done in one step rather than two. Is there any way to combine the motion equations to find the time in one step (without having to find final velocity first?).

Oh, of course! The velocity of the helicopter would be the initial velocity for the package (but negative). This means I'd first have to find the final velocity (using final velocity^2-initial velocity^2=2xgravityxdisplacement) and then use that to find time (with V2=V1+gravityxtime).

I got the correct answer, but apparently my teacher says there is a short cut and that this question can be done in one step rather than two. Is there any way to combine the motion equations to find the time in one step (without having to find final velocity first?).

You could use this equation:
$$\Delta y = v_{0}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2}$$
Although it would involve solving a quadratic, which would be slightly more involved.

Related to Why Does Helicopter Velocity Affect Package Drop Time?

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What is the equation for calculating the distance traveled by a projectile?

The equation for calculating the distance traveled by a projectile is d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of launch affects the trajectory of a projectile by determining the initial direction of the projectile. The steeper the angle, the higher the projectile will travel and the shorter the distance it will cover. The shallower the angle, the lower the projectile will travel and the longer the distance it will cover.

4. What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The factors that can affect the trajectory of a projectile include the angle of launch, the initial velocity, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, or drag, can slow down the speed of a projectile and change its trajectory. This is because air resistance exerts a force in the opposite direction of motion, causing a decrease in velocity and ultimately altering the path of the projectile.