Are There Any Good Textbooks That Teach Algebra 2 and Trigonometry Together?

In summary, he is planning on taking a college Calc and Analytic Geometry class with formal education only up to Geometry. He is very proficient in Geometry, good in algebra 1, have some experience in Trig and a little in Algebra 2. For this reason he was wondering if there are any good textbooks that teach both Algebra 2 and Trig in them. He does mostly just need to learn Algebra 2, but something to help with some trig would also be very helpful. Any (relatively cheap) suggestions? He has an algebra/trig review on there under extras/reviews. Good luck!
Niflheim
Hey PF, as my thread a week or two ago said I am currently planning on taking a college Calc and Analytic Geometry class with formal education only up to Geometry. I am very proficient in Geometry, good in algebra 1, have some experience in Trig and a little in Algebra 2. For this reason I was wondering if there are any good textbooks that teach both Algebra 2 and Trig in them. I do mostly just need to learn Algebra 2, but something to help with some trig would also be very helpful. Any (relatively cheap) suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the book that I used for Advanced Algebra and Trig:
http://www.prioritytextbook.com/product_images/d/707/9780840068071__86909_zoom.jpg
I really liked this textbook.
Also check out this site:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/Alg.aspx

He has an algebra/trig review on there under extras/reviews. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the site and recommendation!

There's also a book I was directed to by a friend of mine, Algebra 2 and Trigonometry: Structure and Methods Book 2. Is that one good?

That book looks good as well. I don't have any experience with it though, so you can always get it and try it out. Generally there are two extremely important classes that you have to take and pass before you take calc I, and they are trigonometry and precalculus (advanced algebra), and this is the book that we used for that. If it's difficult to choose which one to work though, look at price. You have your choice of good materials, now it is up to you to make the most out of whichever one you choose. Good luck and have fun learning!

Thank you! Mostly for price and shipping reasons, I've chosen the Algebra and Trigonometry book. However I will be going through the precalc stuff on Khan academy and whatnot, and plan on asking some family members if they have any college algebra books lying around. Any recommendations for online precalculus resources?

Khan Academy is an excellent resource. There is a guy on youtube that is great his name is patrickJMT.

Just checked those out, they seem great! Thanks for the replies everyone!

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-self-study-mathematics.804404/

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked Pre-calculus: A Problem Solving Approach, by David Cohen. Great balance of river and intuition. Some of the problems are rather difficult and the algebraic manipulation s are a lot harder than Stewart. Alexander Oakly? ( not sure of author/Mathwonk highly recommends it) is a very good book and I have skimmed through it. However, Oakly has a lot of information not covered in today's current educational setting. Book is easy t l follow.

Thanks for those suggestions! Also any mods can close this thread whenever, I just took the test to get accepted into Calculus (only had 10 days to study when I got my textbook and found out when the test was!) and I think I won't be allowed to take it, there was an Algebra section (algebra 1+2) and a Precalc (trig and precalc) section and I got 90% on the Algebra but only 68% on the Precalc section (didn't study trig functions enough).

Niflheim said:
Thanks for those suggestions! Also any mods can close this thread whenever, I just took the test to get accepted into Calculus (only had 10 days to study when I got my textbook and found out when the test was!) and I think I won't be allowed to take it, there was an Algebra section (algebra 1+2) and a Precalc (trig and precalc) section and I got 90% on the Algebra but only 68% on the Precalc section (didn't study trig functions enough).
Your welcome:smile:friend:wink::biggrin:

Related to Are There Any Good Textbooks That Teach Algebra 2 and Trigonometry Together?

1. What is the difference between an Algebra 2 textbook and a Trig textbook?

An Algebra 2 textbook typically covers topics such as equations, functions, and graphing, while a Trig textbook focuses on trigonometry concepts such as triangles, angles, and trigonometric functions. Both subjects are important in advanced math and often go hand in hand.

2. Can I use an Algebra 2 and Trig textbook interchangeably with a regular Algebra or Geometry textbook?

It is not recommended to use an Algebra 2 and Trig textbook in place of a regular Algebra or Geometry textbook. While there may be some overlap in topics, an Algebra 2 and Trig textbook is designed to cover both subjects in more depth and may assume prior knowledge from both Algebra and Geometry.

3. Are there any specific Algebra 2 and Trig textbooks that are recommended for students?

There are many different Algebra 2 and Trig textbooks available, so it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and curriculum. Some popular options include "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Michael Sullivan and "Algebra 2 and Trigonometry" by Ron Larson and Laurie Boswell.

4. How can I supplement my study of Algebra 2 and Trig with a textbook?

In addition to using the textbook as a reference and completing assigned exercises, there are a few ways to supplement your study of Algebra 2 and Trig. You can use online resources and practice problems, work with a tutor, or join a study group to further reinforce your understanding of the concepts.

5. Are there any online versions or digital versions of Algebra 2 and Trig textbooks available?

Yes, many Algebra 2 and Trig textbooks have online or digital versions available for purchase or access through a school or library. These versions often include interactive features and additional resources to enhance the learning experience.