Are supercomputers profitable?

• Thread starter Phylosopher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    business
In summary: It is also profitable to buy tractors and lend them for money. Does the same thing apply to supercomputers?Yes, the coupling between the processors is important for supercomputers.
Phylosopher
TL;DR Summary
Are supercomputers profitable?
I am wondering whether supercomputers are profitable! I am no computer engineer/scientist, but it seems that it could be. I tried to search on google, on whether supercomputers are in fact profitable, but I couldn't find a suitable source. Also, with the rise of cloud computing such as AWS, I feel that supercomputers, even if they were profitable in some way in the past, they are not anymore! Large companies like amazon and microsoft seem to dominate the scene. So what niche businesses actually need dedicated supercomputers, who would pay?

Note: Not sure if this is a suitable sub-forum

Engineering news on Phys.org
Phylosopher said:
I am wondering whether supercomputers are profitable!
It depends on what you mean by a supercomputer, and who makes the profit.
There are numerical simulations based on finite element analysis that justify supercomputers.
The close coupling between the processors is not possible with distributed processors or the cloud.

The people who run the programs seem to be happy with the results.

The people that make the supercomputers seem to be happy manufacturing and selling supercomputers.

Sounds a little like asking if tractor-trailer trucks are profitable.
If you are taking the family laundry to the laundromat, probably not.
If you are shipping 40 000 lbs of steel to the next town every week, probably.

Likes etotheipi and PeroK
Baluncore said:
It depends on what you mean by a supercomputer, and who makes the profit.
There are numerical simulations based on finite element analysis that justify supercomputers.
The close coupling between the processors is not possible with distributed processors or the cloud.

The people who run the programs seem to be happy with the results.

The people that make the supercomputers seem to be happy manufacturing and selling supercomputers.

When I look at the largest supercomputers, I see governmental institutions and electronic companies. That is, no service providing companies:

(wiki)
1- Riken (Funded by the Japanese government)
2- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
3- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
4- National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi
5- Eni (oil and gas company)
6- Nvidia

Of course, for those who make supercomputers it is profitable, first and foremost they can sell them, secondly, they can use them for their own companies. But can someone establish for example, a company that is based on selling supercomputer computational time? Just like how AWS work, to some extent! What motivated me to write the OP is that, if such thing is possible, people would have already done it; but I couldn't find details on the web regarding this specific services.

Tom.G said:
Sounds a little like asking if tractor-trailer trucks are profitable.
If you are taking the family laundry to the laundromat, probably not.
If you are shipping 40 000 lbs of steel to the next town every week, probably.

It is of course profitable to manufacture tractors, the profit will come by selling them. Also, it is profitable to buy tractors and lend them for money. Does the same thing apply to supercomputers?

Of course, manufacturing supercomputers is profitable in itself. But is buying supercomputers, and then lending the computational time profitable?

Phylosopher said:
But can someone establish for example, a company that is based on selling supercomputer computational time? Just like how AWS work, to some extent! What motivated me to write the OP is that, if such thing is possible, people would have already done it; but I couldn't find details on the web regarding this specific services.
Phylosopher said:
Of course, manufacturing supercomputers is profitable in itself. But is buying supercomputers, and then lending the computational time profitable?
Supercomputers' use is mainly for scientific computations, so their main customers are in the academic world. They tend to want their own systems than to buy computer time.

I don't know of any private company that sells time on supercomputers, but I know that some academic/research institutions sometimes sell supercomputer time to private companies.

Likes Phylosopher
Phylosopher said:
But can someone establish for example, a company that is based on selling supercomputer computational time? Just like how AWS work, to some extent! What motivated me to write the OP is that, if such thing is possible, people would have already done it; but I couldn't find details on the web regarding this specific services.
That is possible. I don't know of any.

However, there are many companies who sell cloud computer time. They have many CPUs, and you can buy time on as many as you want, but in the strict sense they are not supercomputers. Might that be want you want?

Likes Phylosopher
DrClaude said:
Supercomputers' use is mainly for scientific computations, so their main customers are in the academic world. They tend to want their own systems than to buy computer time.

Not exactly.

There is some of that, but there is also supercomputer use that is less public, so you don't hear as much. There is also:
  • Weapons lab use
  • Banking
  • Oil and gas exploration
Which you don't hear as much about because the owners of these machines have interests in keeping exactly what they are doing proprietary.

Phylosopher said:
Also, it is profitable to buy tractors and lend them for money. Does the same thing apply to supercomputers?

Many - probably most - are leased, not bought.

Phylosopher said:
But is buying supercomputers, and then lending the computational time profitable?

How is a supercomputer different than AWSParallelCluster? I think that's probably necessary to answer for this thread to productively continue.

Likes Phylosopher and rbelli1
Phylosopher said:
Just like how AWS work, to some extent!

If you think the owner of such a company being worth almost $200 billion is not profitable then no.

BoB

Related to Are supercomputers profitable?

1. Are supercomputers profitable for businesses?

The profitability of supercomputers for businesses depends on the specific industry and use case. For industries such as financial services, energy, and pharmaceuticals, supercomputers can provide significant cost savings and competitive advantages. However, for smaller businesses with less complex computing needs, the cost of a supercomputer may outweigh the potential benefits.

2. How do supercomputers generate profit?

Supercomputers generate profit by enabling businesses to perform complex calculations and simulations faster and more accurately than traditional computers. This can lead to cost savings, improved product development, and increased efficiency in various industries. Additionally, supercomputers can be used for research and development, which can lead to new discoveries and innovations that can generate profit for businesses.

3. What are the costs associated with owning a supercomputer?

The costs associated with owning a supercomputer include the initial purchase price, maintenance and operational costs, and the cost of hiring specialized staff to manage and utilize the system. Supercomputers also require a significant amount of power and cooling, which can add to the overall cost. Additionally, software and licensing fees may also be required for certain applications.

4. Can supercomputers be used for non-profit organizations?

Yes, supercomputers can be used for non-profit organizations, such as universities and research institutions, for scientific research and data analysis. These organizations may also receive funding or grants specifically for the purchase and use of supercomputers.

5. How do supercomputers compare to cloud computing in terms of profitability?

Supercomputers and cloud computing both have their own advantages and disadvantages in terms of profitability. Supercomputers offer higher computing power and performance, but require a larger upfront investment and ongoing maintenance costs. Cloud computing, on the other hand, offers more flexibility and scalability, but may not be as cost-effective for certain industries and use cases. Ultimately, the profitability of each option will depend on the specific needs and goals of a business.