Are schools allowed to do this?

• Schools
  • Thread starter InbredDummy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary: And then, once you're accepted, they'll email you the dates and instructions on how to book your trip. It's a great way to get a feel for the place and meet the professors. Yea or Nay by May.
InbredDummy
Let's say I'm applying to a school, in my case for grad but let's also suppose for undergrad, they see my transcript/my grades and they see that I did badly in one class. Can they ask my professor about this?

For example, let's say I'm applying to grad school and I got a C in my topology course, are they allowed to email my professor and ask why I got a C or anything of this nature? Can grad schools further contact my reccomenders and ask them more questions about myself?

Physics news on Phys.org
I really, really don't think a graduate school would do that. Especially for a single C on a good transcript.

However, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to do it.

I agree with Maxwell. While I don't see anything stopping them from doing this. I doubt they would go through all that trouble to find out the origin of one C.

grad schools have simple basic criteria, and you either satisfy them or not, very black and white. they are just setting minimum standards for admission. it is the department that has a deep interest in your chance of success. they are very flexible in what they look for, and a few bad grades are not necessarily a deal breaker if there reason to think they do not predict poor work.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd guess that while schools are free to make inquiries, anyone who answers them without a release from you could get into trouble. So, unless you asked that prof for a recommendation (and gave them a release), I doubt if he or she would say anything.

another quick question about grad schools:

I will be applying to a couple of schools that are very far from me, and I'm wondering when should i visit those schools?

So I wanted to apply to 6-7 schools, I'll wait and see see which ones I get into and then visit the schools that are far from me that I get into. Is that a good plan?

Also how long do I have between the "letter of acceptance and when I have to reply back that I will be attending" phase?

also when you request for scores to be sent to schools, do they send both your GRE and your GRE math or do i need to pay to get both of them sent seperately?

Last edited:
TMFKAN64 said:
I'm not a lawyer, but I'd guess that while schools are free to make inquiries, anyone who answers them without a release from you could get into trouble. So, unless you asked that prof for a recommendation (and gave them a release), I doubt if he or she would say anything.

Yeah, so if your friends talk about you with a release from you, sue them!

I wouldn't worry about one poor grade on your transcript. It's possible that you could get one of your referees to comment on the mark in a manner that gives it a positive spin, eg "Johnny is willing to challenge himself and take academic risks. Although he got a C in quantum mechanics, his academic potential is probably better reflected by his math grades," blah blah blah.

InbredDummy said:

I will be applying to a couple of schools that are very far from me, and I'm wondering when should i visit those schools?

So I wanted to apply to 6-7 schools, I'll wait and see see which ones I get into and then visit the schools that are far from me that I get into. Is that a good plan?

Also how long do I have between the "letter of acceptance and when I have to reply back that I will be attending" phase?

also when you request for scores to be sent to schools, do they send both your GRE and your GRE math or do i need to pay to get both of them sent seperately?

If you are admitted, schools will usually pay all or part of your expenses to visit. Try to organize your visits so that you check out schools in the same geographic area at the same time (easier on you and cheaper for them). Most US schools require you to Yea or Nay by May.

InbredDummy said:

I will be applying to a couple of schools that are very far from me, and I'm wondering when should i visit those schools? So I wanted to apply to 6-7 schools, I'll wait and see see which ones I get into and then visit the schools that are far from me that I get into. Is that a good plan?
Most schools in the US have scheduled "perspective student weekends" that they will alert you of after acceptance -- they'll invite you (and reimberse all or part of your travel expenses) if they really want to come.

InbredDummy said:
This information is usually included in the acceptance letter. If it is not... then contact the department's administrative assistant for their grad program.

InbredDummy said:
You should request that they send both if this is on the form and not a default... but it shouldn't cost extra.

tmfkan64's conjecture is naive.

TMFKAN64 said:

mathwonk said:
tmfkan64's conjecture is naive.

Initially, mathwonk, I agreed with your statement. However, isn't it true that professors are NOT allowed to disclose your grades? If I went to Professor mathwonk and asked how bill did last semester/quarter, wouldn't you be obliged not to tell me their grade?

However, another professor who already knows what the students grade is may be a different circumstance, and since it pertains to graduate admission they may be more open about it? I don't know, I'm just about to start grad school myself. Thoughts?

JasonRox said:
Yeah, so if your friends talk about you with a release from you, sue them!

I missed the part where there are legal requirements of confidentiality from your friends.

Oh, and I'd agree that people talk regardless of the legality/ethics of the situation. Besides, the chances of having enough actual evidence of the breach to go to court is extremely slim.

take my word for what i said.

InbredDummy said:

The exact date is April 15. That is the agreed upon date set up by a council of hundreds of American universities. I forget the exact name of it.

InbredDummy said:
For example, let's say I'm applying to grad school and I got a C in my topology course, are they allowed to email my professor and ask why I got a C or anything of this nature? Can grad schools further contact my reccomenders and ask them more questions about myself?

I don't know about contacting your reccomendations, it may depend on whether or not you waived your right to see the letter of reccomendation. Although, I know that at my university the transcript just has the class, the grade, and when it was taken, the professor isn't listed. You should get a copy of your offical transcript and check it to see if its the same.

Related to Are schools allowed to do this?

1. What actions are schools allowed to take in regards to students?

Schools are allowed to take a variety of actions in regards to their students, such as setting rules and regulations, assigning homework and classwork, monitoring behavior, and providing disciplinary measures when necessary.

2. Are schools allowed to search students' belongings?

Yes, schools are allowed to search students' belongings if there is reasonable suspicion that the student is in possession of prohibited items or substances that could harm themselves or others.

3. Can schools discipline students for their behavior outside of school?

Yes, schools may discipline students for their behavior outside of school if it affects the school environment or if it violates the school's code of conduct.

4. Are schools allowed to limit students' freedom of speech?

Schools are allowed to limit students' freedom of speech if it disrupts the learning environment or if it is considered hate speech or a threat to others.

5. Are schools allowed to expel students?

Yes, schools have the authority to expel students for severe or repeated violations of school policies or for behavior that poses a danger to others.