Are Cal Poly and Cal State Schools Good Options for Affordable Physics Programs?

In summary, Warren is considering transferring to a California State or Polytechnical University. He is seeking feedback on a few of the schools he is considering, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in particular.
marcflores
Hello all,

I used to post in this forum under another name, so I'm not a complete stranger to you all. But I suppose this counts as my "first post." Quick background on me: I'm still in junior college and I'm looking to transfer to a University. At first, I was looking at schools with really good physics programs. I am 25, very soon to be 26, and am no longer under the care of my parents. So, the cost of schooling has become a slight issue.

My wife graduated with a degree in Engineering from Harvey Mudd 4 years ago and asked one of her old physics professors what he thought. He mentioned that the Cal Poly and Cal State (California) schools are often underrated and can be fine for highly motivated students. I've also learned that the tuition is quite affordable at these schools. I'll be meeting with him in a few months to further discuss my options and what he thinks might be best for our situation and my capabilities.

Does anyone have any experience with these schools? Can anyone tell me a little more about their personal experience with the science programs from the California State and Polytechnical Universities?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cal Poly is a very well-regarded school, at least for engineering and physical science. Some of the Cal state schools are quite good, but they vary tremendously, unlike the UC schools, which are almost all excellent. You'd probably have to tell us specificially which Cal state schools you're considering.

- Warren

I've only begun to look recently. My choices for the past year were Cornell, UCLA, UC Berkeley, and possibly even Harvey Mudd (though my wife hated her experience there.) I didn't even consider Cal State or Cal Poly until receiving that e-mail from her professor. The first school I looked at was Cal Poly SLO. I like the area more than Pomona (I used to live a few miles from there) and I hear, though haven't verified, that SLO is a little better. The department looked good online and the tuition is only about $5,000 for every 3 quarters. That certainly would help staying out of debt by the time I graduate.

The only Cal State I'd seriously consider is possibly Long Beach. I actually have a few friends and acquaintances there and have sat in a few classes and I thought it was decent.

For now, I suppose I'd like to get a little more info and feedback on Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I think it would help in determining whether it would be a good back-up school.

Thanks again.

I believe cal poly SLO is an excellent school for engineering, I'm not sure about physics. One of my community college professors mentioned how its very difficult to get into Cal poly SLO since he had a few engineering students get accepted by Berkeley but rejected by SLO.

As for Cal States, I thought that they all had less reputation and quality than the UC's, but I could be wrong

I've heard the same for engineering. I didn't realize it was that difficult to get into SLO, I suppose I'll talk with my current college counselor about my options. I think you are also correct about the Cal States and their reputation compared to the UC. They are generally of "lesser quality" in some areas, but still good for people who really want to apply themselves. They seem a little more hands-on whereas the UC system is geared more toward theory.

Thanks for the replies.

hi everybody
i got the same problem, currently i have 3.62 GPA( still lots more hard class to finish) and doing undergrad with physics major in community college. I stay in California so i want to go to Berkeley or UCLA but m not sure whether i will get over there or no..
as I am enrolled in honor program, UC Riverside offers Guarantee transfer, for that i have to do contract with them. (i guess even Davis offer guarantee admission )
How is Riverside? (Davis?)
is it worth to spend huge money (with interests) in Riverside for physics major or better to go to some cal state uni? or will i be able to get into UC Berkeley, UCLA with Okyae GPA?
are there any alternative choices for me in California with best research opportunities?
Plz suggest me

eminent_youtom said:
hi everybody
i got the same problem, currently i have 3.62 GPA( still lots more hard class to finish) and doing undergrad with physics major in community college. I stay in California so i want to go to Berkeley or UCLA but m not sure whether i will get over there or no..
as I am enrolled in honor program, UC Riverside offers Guarantee transfer, for that i have to do contract with them. (i guess even Davis offer guarantee admission )
How is Riverside? (Davis?)
is it worth to spend huge money (with interests) in Riverside for physics major or better to go to some cal state uni? or will i be able to get into UC Berkeley, UCLA with Okyae GPA?
are there any alternative choices for me in California with best research opportunities?
Plz suggest me

I've heard some pretty bad things about UC Riverside... not all UC's are the same. For example, where it might be incredibly competitive to get into Berkeley, UCLA, or UCSD, Riverside has an automatic acceptance for people who have a particular high school GPA or higher. This says nothing of high schools which are in the bottom 10% of California (as I know of a few who did well there and went on to UCR.)

I've really heard good things about CSULB and Cal Poly SLO. With a GPA like 3.62 from a community college, your chances look good. If you've finished the IGETC requirements and also the department admission requirements from the schools you intend to apply to, you should be okay.

For a better idea, try this website: www.assist.org

Good luck!

marcflores said:
I've really heard good things about CSULB and Cal Poly SLO. With a GPA like 3.62 from a community college, your chances look good.

Good luck!
thankx for ur thread
i couldn't understand abt which university u r talking.. is it CAl poly, Berkeley, UCLA, UCI or csulb?

Last edited:
Avoid private schools for undergrad unless you are getting a big scholarship. You'll learn the exact same thing as you would in a public school for a lot more money.

Stick with Berkeley, Davis, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, or UCI.

Related to Are Cal Poly and Cal State Schools Good Options for Affordable Physics Programs?

1. What is the difference between Cal Poly and other Cal State schools?

Cal Poly, also known as California Polytechnic State University, is a unique university within the Cal State system. It focuses primarily on hands-on learning and offers a polytechnic education, which means it combines theory and practice in a variety of disciplines. Other Cal State schools may have a more traditional academic approach and offer a wider range of majors.

2. How competitive is admission to Cal Poly and other Cal State schools?

Admission to Cal Poly and other Cal State schools can be competitive, as they receive a large number of applications. However, the level of competition may vary depending on the specific campus and major. Cal Poly, in particular, is known for its selective admissions process and typically looks for well-rounded students with strong academic records and extracurricular involvement.

3. What majors and programs are offered at Cal Poly and other Cal State schools?

Cal Poly and other Cal State schools offer a wide range of majors and programs in various fields, including business, engineering, agriculture, education, and the arts. Each campus may have a different set of offerings, so it's important to research individual schools to find the program that best fits your interests and career goals.

4. How are the tuition and fees at Cal Poly and other Cal State schools?

Tuition and fees at Cal Poly and other Cal State schools are relatively affordable compared to other universities. As public institutions, they are funded in part by the state of California, making them a more accessible option for students. However, tuition and fees may vary depending on the campus and major, and additional costs such as housing and textbooks should also be taken into account.

5. What is the student life like at Cal Poly and other Cal State schools?

The student life experience at Cal Poly and other Cal State schools can vary greatly depending on the campus and individual interests. However, many Cal State schools offer a diverse and inclusive community with a variety of clubs, organizations, and activities for students to get involved in. Additionally, the Cal Poly and Cal State systems have a strong focus on hands-on learning and real-world experiences, providing students with opportunities to gain practical skills outside of the classroom.