Archimedes Palimpsest on display

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Archimedes
In summary, the Archimedes Palimpsest was discovered in 1906 by a Danish scholar named Johan Ludvig Heiberg in the library of a Greek Orthodox monastery in Jerusalem. A palimpsest is a manuscript or document that has been reused, causing the original text to be obscured. The Archimedes Palimpsest is significant because it contains the only surviving copies of some of Archimedes' works and includes important notes and diagrams by Archimedes himself. It underwent a conservation and restoration process from 1999 to 2008, using multispectral imaging technology and removing layers of medieval prayers and texts. It is currently on display at the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland and can also be viewed online.
gravenewworld
In a few weeks in Baltimore if you are in the area. Should be a very interesting exhibit. Some of the pages are the only known evidence of some of his work. The project took 10 years to complete. Can't wait.

http://thewalters.org/exhibitions/archimedes/

Physics news on Phys.org
Just wait til the History Channel does a program on it. Archimedes confirms Mayan 2012 predictions.

I thought this was a thread about tonguetwisters.

I am excited to hear about the upcoming display of the Archimedes Palimpsest in Baltimore. The Palimpsest is a valuable historical document that contains some of the only known evidence of Archimedes' work. The fact that it took 10 years to complete this project is a testament to the dedication and effort put into preserving this important piece of scientific history.

I believe this exhibit will be a great opportunity for people in the area to learn more about Archimedes and his contributions to mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also a reminder of the importance of preserving and studying historical documents to gain insight into the development of science and technology.

I am looking forward to visiting the exhibit and seeing the pages of the Palimpsest firsthand. I am sure it will be a fascinating and educational experience for all who attend. Thank you for sharing this exciting news.

Related to Archimedes Palimpsest on display

1. How was the Archimedes Palimpsest discovered?

The Archimedes Palimpsest was discovered in 1906 by a Danish scholar named Johan Ludvig Heiberg in the library of a Greek Orthodox monastery in Jerusalem.

2. What is a palimpsest?

A palimpsest is a manuscript or document that has been erased or scraped off and reused, often for economic reasons, causing the original text to be partially or completely obscured.

3. What makes the Archimedes Palimpsest significant?

The Archimedes Palimpsest is significant because it contains the only surviving copies of some of Archimedes' works, including "The Method of Mechanical Theorems" and "Stomachion". It also includes important notes and diagrams by Archimedes himself.

4. How was the Archimedes Palimpsest conserved and restored?

The Archimedes Palimpsest underwent a conservation and restoration process from 1999 to 2008, which involved using multispectral imaging technology to reveal the hidden text. It also involved removing the layers of medieval prayers and texts that had been written over the original text.

5. Where can I see the Archimedes Palimpsest on display?

The Archimedes Palimpsest is currently on display at the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland. It is also available for viewing online through the museum's website and the Archimedes Palimpsest Digital Project.