Arc length of a stadium billiard

In summary: This whole thing seems like a trivial problem and I don't see what all the fuss is about.For a student, it doesn't look completely trivial to me.
carlosbgois
I've been trying to figure out the most straightforward way of doing this for a while, and would like to get some advice on new approaches, as the one I was using didn't work out at all. So here it is:

The stadium billiard is defined as two semicircles joined by two tangent lines, as shown in the figure attached. Given the angle of a point in the boundary, my goal is to determine the arc length of the boundary, from theta=0 to the collision angle. To do that, I have the parameters of the length of the tangent lines, and the radius of the semicircles (figure.) What approach would fit best here?

Thank you all for your time.

Screen_Shot_2015_01_24_at_20_45_18.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not following what it is that you want to figure out. Can you add to your figure the "arc length" you are talking about?

Sorry about that. Here is an image showing what is the arc length I'm referring to:

carlosbgois said:
Sorry about that. Here is an image showing what is the arc length I'm referring to:

Since the circle is tangent to the parallel lines, then the arc length from the start point to the tangent point, as indicated on your diagram is (π/2) * radius of the circle.

SteamKing said:
Since the circle is tangent to the parallel lines, then the arc length from the start point to the tangent point, as indicated on your diagram is (π/2) * radius of the circle.
But that's not true for the general case, only for when the angle is such that the point is at the exact meeting of the semicircle and the tangent. I'm reading this as his calling "arc" the amount you specified plus some amount of the tangent line.

I haven't worked on it yet but it appears to be trivial.

Yes I'm looking for a general solution: given θ, what is the arc length?

carlosbgois said:
Yes I'm looking for a general solution: given θ, what is the arc length?
Well, you know what the circle-arc part of it is. Can you use trivial trig to get the rest?

phinds said:
But that's not true for the general case, only for when the angle is such that the point is at the exact meeting of the semicircle and the tangent. I'm reading this as his calling "arc" the amount you specified plus some amount of the tangent line.

I haven't worked on it yet but it appears to be trivial.

Since the parallel lines are tangent to the circular arcs (as specified by the OP), and the parallel lines are exactly 2*radius apart, then the arc length as shown in the figure will be (π/2)*radius. The angle θ shown on the diagram is not referenced from the center of the circular arcs, so it does not have a direct relationship with the arc length.

SteamKing said:
Since the parallel lines are tangent to the circular arcs (as specified by the OP), and the parallel lines are exactly 2*radius apart, then the arc length as shown in the figure will be (π/2)*radius. The angle θ shown on the diagram is not referenced from the center of the circular arcs, so it does not have a direct relationship with the arc length.
Again, he is using "arc" to mean "the circular part plus some of the horizontal line". I questioned him on that in post #5 and his response in post #6 is that I am interpreting it the way he intends.

This whole thing seems like a trivial problem and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

For a student, it doesn't look completely trivial to me. Using the angle ##\phi## labeled in the picture and calling ##W = \frac 1 2\text{width}## where width is as labeled, and the radius of the circle ##a##, I get the arc length as$$
s(\phi) = a(\phi + \arcsin\left(\frac W a\sin\phi\right)),~~0\le \phi \le \arctan\frac a W$$for just the first quadrant arc, which is the hard part.

Related to Arc length of a stadium billiard

What is the arc length of a stadium billiard?

The arc length of a stadium billiard is the distance along the curved edge of the billiard table. It is measured in units of length, such as meters or feet.

How is the arc length of a stadium billiard calculated?

The arc length of a stadium billiard can be calculated using the formula L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the billiard table, and θ is the angle subtended by the arc.

Why is it important to know the arc length of a stadium billiard?

Knowing the arc length of a stadium billiard is important for various reasons. It can help determine the size and dimensions of the billiard table, as well as provide information for planning and designing billiard tournaments and events.

What factors can affect the arc length of a stadium billiard?

The arc length of a stadium billiard can be affected by the radius of the billiard table, as well as the angle of the arc. Additionally, any changes in the shape or curvature of the billiard table can also affect the arc length.

Can the arc length of a stadium billiard be measured accurately?

Yes, the arc length of a stadium billiard can be measured accurately using mathematical calculations and precise measuring tools. However, factors such as human error and imperfections in the billiard table may affect the accuracy of the measurement.