Arc Length C: Origin to (6,18,36)

In summary, to find the exact length of the curve of intersection between the parabolic cylinder $x^2=2y$ and the surface $3z=xy$, we can parametrize the curve and use the formula for arc length. By parametrizing the curve with $x(t)=t, y(t)=\frac{t^2}{2}$, and $z(t)=\frac{t^3}{6}$ where $0\le t\le6$, we can find the arc length by taking the integral of the square root of the parametric equations squared. After simplifying, we get the arc length to be $s=42$ units.
ineedhelpnow
let C be the curve of intersection of the parabolic cylinder $x^2=2y$ and the surface $3z=xy$. find the exact length of C from the origin to the point (6,18,36).

please help! this is the last question i have left from this assignment and i have no idea how to do it. i have grading to do and a ton of studying left for my test on monday. i need help now!

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you parametrize the curve...can you attempt this?

ok so i may have exaggerated a bit when i said i have no idea how to do it (Blush)
here's what i did so far. I've been stuck on this for days and i have a feeling i messed up somewhere.
View attachment 3204View attachment 3205

on the second pic that says $\left| r(t) \right|$ on the top right side

Attachments

• DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 60
I would try the parametrization:

\(\displaystyle \begin{cases}x(t)=t \\[3pt] y(t)=\dfrac{t^2}{2} \\[3pt] z(t)=\dfrac{t^3}{6} \\ \end{cases}\)

where:

\(\displaystyle 0\le t\le6\)

And thus, the arc length $s$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle s=\int_0^6\sqrt{\left(x'(t)\right)^2+\left(y'(t)\right)^2+\left(z'(t)\right)^2}\,dt\)

I'm going to go ahead and finish this problem...so under the radical in the integrand, we will have:

\(\displaystyle (1)^2+(t)^2+\left(\frac{t^2}{2}\right)^2=\frac{t^4}{4}+t^2+1=\left(\frac{t^2}{2}+1\right)^2\)

Since the quadratic within the parentheses is always positive, our arc-length then becomes:

\(\displaystyle s=\int_0^6\frac{t^2}{2}+1\,dt=\left[\frac{t^3}{6}+t\right]_0^6=6^2+6=6(6+1)=6\cdot7=42\)

thanks :) i went back to the start of the chapter to start reviewing so i just decided that i would do that problem again once i got to that lesson. thanks for working the whole thing out though. it makes a lot more sense to me that way.

Related to Arc Length C: Origin to (6,18,36)

1. What is the definition of arc length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of an arc between two points on the curve.

2. How is arc length calculated?

Arc length is calculated by multiplying the radius of the circle by the central angle (in radians).

3. What is the significance of the origin in arc length?

The origin is the starting point for measuring the arc length. It is the point where the arc begins and is typically represented by (0,0) on a graph.

4. How is arc length measured from the origin to a specific point?

The arc length from the origin to a specific point can be measured using the Pythagorean theorem, which calculates the distance between two points on a graph.

5. How do the coordinates of (6,18,36) relate to the arc length from the origin?

The coordinates (6,18,36) represent the x, y, and z coordinates of a point on the curve. The arc length from the origin to this point can be calculated using the distance formula and the Pythagorean theorem.