Approximation of the characteristic function of a compact set

In summary, the conversation discusses three questions related to finding functions and proving differentiability. The first question involves showing that a given function is infinitely differentiable at a specific point. The second question asks for a function from R to [0,1] with specific properties. The third question involves finding a function with certain characteristics on a compact set. The conversation includes attempts at solutions for each question and a request for confirmation on the proposed methods.
Mystic998

Homework Statement

Okay, so this is a three-part question, and I need some help with it.

1. I need to show that the function [tex]f(x) = e^{-1/x^{2}}, x > 0[/tex] and 0 otherwise is infinitely differentiable at x = 0.

2. I need to find a function from R to [0,1] that's 0 for [itex]x \leq 0[/itex] and 1 for [itex] x \geq \epsilon[/itex].

3. For K compact, U open in [itex]R^n[/itex] and [itex] K \subset U[/itex], I need to find a function from U to [0,1] that's 1 on K and and 0 outside of some closed set C containing K and contained in U.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I can do the first part up to the second derivative pretty easily, I think. And I think that any derivative of [tex]e^{-1/x^2}[/tex] is going to be a polynomial times [tex]e^{-1/x^2}/x^n[/tex] for some n, so showing that the derivative of the function above is continuous at 0 just amounts to showing that [tex]\frac{e^{-1/x^2}}{x^n}[/tex] goes to 0 as x goes to 0. I just wanted to see if I have the right idea and if there might be an easier way.

2. For this one I think you just take [tex]f(x) = e^{-{(\frac{\epsilon - x}{x})}^{2}}[/tex] on the interval [itex](0,\epsilon)[/itex], then 0 and 1 where appropriate. Just checking to see if I'm way off or not here.

3. Now on this one I have very little idea what to do. I was thinking I could take 2 closed balls with [itex]K \subset C_{1} \subset C_{2} \subset U[/itex], then use [tex]e^{-1/x^2}[/tex] to define a function that's goes smoothly from 1 to 0 on [itex]C_{2} - C_{1}[/itex], but I'm not sure that's the best way to go about it.

Also, sorry for the TeX looking so nasty. The epsilons in the functions weren't very legible with the itex tag.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a quick bump before bed.

Related to Approximation of the characteristic function of a compact set

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is closed and bounded, meaning that it contains all of its limit points and can be contained within a finite distance from any of its points.

2. Why is it important to approximate the characteristic function of a compact set?

Approximating the characteristic function of a compact set allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of the set, and can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

3. How is the characteristic function of a compact set approximated?

The characteristic function of a compact set can be approximated using various numerical methods, such as discretization or interpolation techniques, depending on the specific problem at hand.

4. What are the limitations of approximating the characteristic function of a compact set?

The accuracy of the approximation depends on the chosen method and the complexity of the set being approximated. In some cases, it may be difficult to find a suitable approximation that accurately captures all the properties of the set.

5. Can approximating the characteristic function of a compact set be used in real-world scenarios?

Yes, approximating the characteristic function of a compact set is often used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world systems and phenomena.