Approximation e number using taylors polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving approximating the number e using Taylor's polynomial and the requirement of the error being shorter than 0.0005. The person attempts to use the function f(x)=e^x and finds that the polynomial tends to e as n tends to infinity. They then discuss using the value of n+1 for the polynomial and considering the interval [0,1]. Ultimately, they determine that using n=7 is a better approximation for e.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Well, this problem is quiet similar to the one I've posted before. It asks me to approximate to the e number using taylors polynomial, but in this case tells me that the error must be shorter than 0.0005

Homework Equations

[tex]R_{n+1}=\displaystyle\frac{f^{n+1}(z)(x-x_0)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}\leq{\epsilon}[/tex], [tex]0<z<1[/tex]

[tex]x_0=0[/tex] [tex]x=1[/tex] [tex]f^{n+1}(x)=e^x[/tex] [tex]\epsilon=0.0005[/tex]

[tex]P_n(x)=1+x+\displaystyle\frac{x}{2!}+...+\displaystyle\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]\delta=n+1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the function [tex]f(x)=e^x[/tex] at [tex]x_0[/tex] [tex]\epsilon=0.0005[/tex]
[tex]f^n(x)=e^x[/tex]

Then

[tex]P_n(x)=1+x+\displaystyle\frac{x}{2!}+...+\displaystyle\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]P_n(1)=1+1+\displaystyle\frac{1}{2!}+...+\displaystyle\frac{1}{n!}[/tex] which tends to e as n tends to infinity.

But now I don't know how to get the n, so I get the degree for the polynomial with the error it asks me.

[tex]R_{n+1}=\displaystyle\frac{f^{n+1}(z)(x-x_0)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex] [tex]0<z<1[/tex]

Lets call [tex]\delta=n+1[/tex]

[tex]R_{\delta}=\displaystyle\frac{e^z}{\delta!}\leq{0.0005}[/tex] then

[tex]\displaystyle\frac{e^z}{0.0005}\leq{\delta!}[/tex] I know between which values I can find z, but I don't know how to work the factorial in the inequality.

Am I proceeding right?

Bye there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right, I must use the bigger value on the interval. Then I've got [tex]6000\leq{\delta!}[/tex] So I must use [tex]delta=8[/tex]? but if I use e on the calculator I think I get that seven is a better approximation for it, and I think it works for seven. What you say Mark?

Sorry, I was wrong. You're right, so [tex]\delta=8[/tex]

I wouldn't introduce another variable, [itex]\delta[/itex]. Just work with n + 1.

Thanks Mark ;)

Related to Approximation e number using taylors polynomial

1. How is the approximation of the number e achieved using Taylor's polynomial?

The approximation of the number e using Taylor's polynomial is achieved by using a mathematical series expansion to approximate the value of e. The Taylor's polynomial is a way to approximate a function by using a polynomial of degree n that closely matches the function at a specific point. By using more terms in the polynomial, the approximation becomes more accurate.

2. What is the significance of using Taylor's polynomial for approximating the number e?

The significance of using Taylor's polynomial for approximating the number e is that it allows for a more accurate approximation of e compared to other methods. This is because Taylor's polynomial takes into account the behavior of the function at a specific point, rather than just using a linear approximation like in the case of a tangent line.

3. How many terms of Taylor's polynomial should be used for a good approximation of e?

The number of terms of Taylor's polynomial that should be used for a good approximation of e depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, using more terms will result in a more accurate approximation. However, using too many terms can also lead to a loss of precision due to rounding errors.

4. Can Taylor's polynomial be used to approximate other mathematical constants besides e?

Yes, Taylor's polynomial can be used to approximate other mathematical constants besides e. The polynomial can be tailored to fit any function at a specific point, so it can be used to approximate any constant as long as the function can be expressed as a polynomial.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor's polynomial for approximating e?

One limitation of using Taylor's polynomial for approximating e is that it only provides an approximation at a specific point. This means that the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the distance from that point increases. Additionally, as mentioned before, using too many terms can also lead to a loss of precision due to rounding errors.