Approximating Area Under Linear Transformations

In summary: No, the jacobian of a point is not zero. It's \frac{dx}{du}\frac{dy}{dv} - \frac{dx}{dv}\frac{dy}{du}
NutriGrainKiller

Homework Statement

Using [tex]du=.01[/tex], [tex]dv=.01[/tex] find the aroximate area under the transformation of the square bounded by the lines [tex]u=3[/tex], [tex]u=3.01[/tex], [tex]v=5[/tex], [tex]v=5.01[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]T(u,v)=<au+bv, cu+dv>[/tex]
where [tex]a[/tex], [tex]b[/tex], [tex]c[/tex], and [tex]d[/tex] make a square matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to approach this problem, as usually there is a function (of the form of the first eqn under relevant equations). I tried finageling, substituting etc.. but could not figure out how to do this. This is for a course in multivariable calculus. any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Under a transformation the area of the transformed figure is related to the original area by a formula involving the jacobian of the transformation. What is the jacobian of a linear transformation?

Dick said:
Yes. Under a transformation the area of the transformed figure is related to the original area by a formula involving the jacobian of the transformation. What is the jacobian of a linear transformation?

Thank you for the Reply Dick. The Jacobian, as I understand it, is the determinate of the function X and Y "components" of the [tex]T(u,v)[/tex] function. Evaluating the determinate creates:

[tex]\frac{dx}{du}\frac{dy}{dv} - \frac{dx}{dv}\frac{dy}{du}[/tex]

but my misunderstanding comes into the fact that we do not have [tex]T(u,v)[/tex] (or, specifically [tex]<au+bv, cu+dv>[/tex], [tex]x[/tex] being equal to [tex]au+bv[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] being equal to [tex]cu+dv[/tex]). Am I right thus far?

Last edited:
I'm not clear what your confusion is. Isn't (dx/du)(dy/dv)-(dx/dv)(dy/du)=ad-bc?

Dick said:
I'm not clear what your confusion is. Isn't (dx/du)(dy/dv)-(dx/dv)(dy/du)=ad-bc?

I apologize I guess I wasn't clear. We are given the coordinates in the uv coordinate system, and the first step towards a solution is to translate them into the xy coordinate system. But in all the examples I have done thus far, it is done through a function [tex]T(u,v)=(something, something)[/tex], where the something's are functions of u and v, to which we can set equal to x and y respectively. solving at the critical points allows us to draw the graph in the xy plane.

Am I looking at this in the wrong way?

Last edited:
If T(u,v) isn't your tranformation, what is?

Thanks for clarifying. I think the idea here is that the square is small in u,v coordinates so the jacobian doesn't vary much over it. So a reasonable approximation to the area of the transformed square would just be to multiply the area of the original square by the jacobian at any point in the square. Say (3,5)?

Dick said:
Thanks for clarifying. I think the idea here is that the square is small in u,v coordinates so the jacobian doesn't vary much over it. So a reasonable approximation to the area of the transformed square would just be to multiply the area of the original square by the jacobian at any point in the square. Say (3,5)?

wouldn't the jacobian of a point just be zero? ie, dx/du = d3/du = 0 (etc..) ?

Last edited:
Dang did it again. No, it's not zero. It's [tex]\frac{dx}{du}\frac{dy}{dv} - \frac{dx}{dv}\frac{dy}{du}[/tex]
EVALUATED at u=3,v=5. Love stealing tex instead of writing it myself.

Dick said:
Dang did it again. No, it's not zero. It's [tex]\frac{dx}{du}\frac{dy}{dv} - \frac{dx}{dv}\frac{dy}{du}[/tex]
EVALUATED at u=3,v=5. Love stealing tex instead of writing it myself.

i'm missing something, cause i don't quite get it. Thus far, every time I have computed the jacobian, x was equal to something like [tex]u^2 + v[/tex] and something similar for y. When you say evaluated at u=3, v=5, surly you don't mean with respect to because that doesn't make any sense, so what do you mean?

If they don't give you an explicit T(u,v) then the best you can say is that the area is approximately 0.01*0.01*jacobian(T)(3,5) or 0.01*0.01*jacobian(T)(3.01,5.01) or any other point in the square. Sorry, got to sleep now.

NutriGrainKiller said:
wouldn't the jacobian of a point just be zero? ie, dx/du = d3/du = 0 (etc..) ?
There is no such thing as "the Jacobian of a point". You mean the Jacobian of the transformation evaluated at a point.

(I am reminded of students who argue: "The derivative of f(x) at x= a is 0, because f(a) is a constant!")

Related to Approximating Area Under Linear Transformations

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a vector from one space to another while preserving the properties of linearity. In other words, the output of a linear transformation is a linear combination of the input vector.

2. What are the properties of linear transformations?

The properties of linear transformations include:

• Preserving addition: f(u+v) = f(u) + f(v)
  • Preserving scalar multiplication: f(ku) = kf(u)
  • Preserving zero vector: f(0) = 0
These properties ensure that the transformation does not distort or skew the original vector.

3. How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the images of the standard basis vectors in the output space.

4. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the properties of linearity, while a non-linear transformation does not. This means that a non-linear transformation can distort or skew the original vector and does not follow the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

5. How are linear transformations used in real life?

Linear transformations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and analyze systems that exhibit linear behavior, such as the motion of a pendulum or the flow of electricity in a circuit. In computer graphics, linear transformations are used to manipulate and transform images and objects, such as rotating and scaling a 3D object on a screen.